BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 23, 2014, 06:09:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings on a rainy morning  (Read 942 times)
longhairgirl

longhairgirl is a new face.

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »

The rain is pounding down, so I'm biding my time for a run and introducing myself instead!

I'm from central California, which means around here we definitely don't fit the surfer stereotype. Farms are everywhere, and I'm pretty sure the cows outnumber the people. It allows me lots of pretty fields to run around, and fresh produce year round, so I'm good with the trade-off:)

I first got interested in barefoot/minimal running from the book, Born to Run. Running just sounded so natural and enjoyable, I couldn't help but be drawn to it. I have never been the best runner, and somewhere along the way acquired the crazy idea that I,in fact, couldn't run. So I started running/walking, and was shocked a couple weeks in when I was able to switch to pure running and my body didn't rebel on me! Since then, I've acquired my vibrams, which means my distance that I can run has gone down, but I am crosstraining and going a little farther every time.

I alternate my komodosports and my ksos as my everyday shoes, and I alternate runs between my bikilas and my sprints.  For dressier occasions, I've been alternating between a pair of ballet flats and a pair of moccasins. Basically trying to go purely wihout padding or support. Thus far, my feet and legs seem happy, and not tmts.

I work at an alternative type high school, so I'm able to wear my vffs every day. And the kids love them!

Right now, my goals are just to get my feet into the shape they should be, and to continue running and enjoying myself.

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair”
― Kahlil Gibran
« on: November 20, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »

Welcome!

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 04:29:16 PM »

we must be experiencing the same storm. lol gotta love the central valley.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

Hello from San Francisco!  It's raining here too.  Welcome to BirthdayShoes!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:04:05 PM »

longhairgirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »

I love cali after a good rain. It's nice be actually able to see the mountains!

Which vffs do you guys wear on rainy days? I don't know which ones are more water resistant Huh

“And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair”
― Kahlil Gibran
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »

Which vffs do you guys wear on rainy days? I don't know which ones are more water resistant Huh

I run in Bikila LS and use the Trek LS for everything else (except work).  I used some Liquid Aquaseal on both of them to make them water resistant.  It seems to work well.  Once after a trail run I decided to dip my Bikila LS at the edge of a lake and held it there for about three seconds and water didn't get it.  Though I'm sure if I head it under any longer, the water would have overcome the water-repelling oils.  For really bad rainy days, I'll run in my RunAmocs and wear my waterproof socks.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
longhairgirl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »

I run in Bikila LS and use the Trek LS for everything else (except work).  I used some Liquid Aquaseal on both of them to make them water resistant.  It seems to work well.  Once after a trail run I decided to dip my Bikila LS at the edge of a lake and held it there for about three seconds and water didn't get it.  Though I'm sure if I head it under any longer, the water would have overcome the water-repelling oils.  For really bad rainy days, I'll run in my RunAmocs and wear my waterproof socks.

Oh, sounds perfect! I'll definitely have to go pick up some aquaseal Grin

― Kahlil Gibran
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 08:14:09 PM »

komodos are most definitely not water resistant as i learned last week during our hike. lol. was trying to rock jump to avoid the creek and ended up just succumbing to wet feet since it was no use on the way back. hahah.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
longhairgirl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:55:06 PM »

komodos are most definitely not water resistant as i learned last week during our hike. lol. was trying to rock jump to avoid the creek and ended up just succumbing to wet feet since it was no use on the way back. hahah.

Lol, good to know. I wear my komodosports for running around during the day, but looks like I'm gonna have to change that up on rainy days!

― Kahlil Gibran
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: