BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 22, 2014, 12:14:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings with a different slant on Meniscal issues  (Read 494 times)
Ronin

Ronin is a new face.

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

Hi All,

Lurked a bit and thought I would share a story that might help some odd folks like me.

I am not a runner- but spent the last 16+ years in martial arts. Barefoot tends to come naturally with that group.

Last year at 51- I had a root tear of my right meniscus. After surgery it was reveled that I was 4 out 5 almost bone on bone.  The pain was severe even after the surgery.
After a series of euflexxa injections- little relief was felt but I remained active- until I had a root tear in my left knee!

Surgery on that knee shortly after that and my life was fairly miserable. I was unable to walk or work out for any length of time without severe pain.

The end result was to endure the pain as long as possible or have two new knees.

I ran into a training partner who stated he had switched to minimalist shoes and was astounded at the relief he had on his knees. So I figured what the heck and bought a pair of Filas. I bought them on lunch threw them on and instantly the pain started to decrease.
By the next day my pain was 75-80% less.

Now three weeks later and my life has changed substantially- my pain has subsided dramatically and I am able to resume my "normal" life.

I purchased a pair of Stem(Now Leming) shoes to be more PC in the office and can tell you it has been a wonderful ride.
I know I will one day need new knees but for now I can still do my work outs and enjoy.

Given the little investment I would highly recommend anyone with knee issues to give this a try-it may change your life.

Ronin

« on: July 03, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:12:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum.  I am glad that minimalist footwear is making such a positive difference in your life.  I was a little sad to read that you began your journey in FILA shoes, because they are no where near the shoe that Vibram Five Fingers are.  I wear VFFs as often as possible.  I also own STEMs for non-toe shoe days.  They too are great.  I am sure you will find the minimalist footwear to be addictive and the health benefits are nothing to scoff at either.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:04:49 PM »

Welcome Ronin!

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »

Welcome and congrats.  it's amazing how less padding and less shoe can help joint pain.  I understand that purchase of the Fila's to start.  They are definitely at the right entry point. I think we are going to be seeing more and more people on this board who wear or started with the non VFF brands of toe shoes.  That said, if you get the opportunity, pick up a pair of Vibrams and I am sure you will enjoy them as much if not more.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »

Ronin

Ronin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:25:07 AM »

Thanks for the greetings all. My martial arts background is in several styles- I did "hard" styles like kajukenbo for 12 years. In the past few years I have been studying the "soft" arts Ba Gua in particular. I have been fortunate to find skilled teachers over the years.  I am sure that kicking poles for 8 or 9 years did not help the knee issues! Smiley

Peace...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:46:11 PM by Ronin » Logged
shadowfax_c11

shadowfax_c11 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »

Welcome to the forum. I also practice a martial art. Have been in  aikido for the past 3+ years and just getting ready to test 2nd kyu. Had a history of knee issues and added to it with a minor meniscus tear in my right knee coming up on two years ago. Getting into the toe shoes a yer ago, has dramatically reduced the knee pain to almost zero. Meniscus healed well with just ultra sound therapy and chiropractic care, a month off the mat and two months off my horse. Took almost a year to heal but I am back to 100%. In fact better than before the injury in many respects although I will never be able to do any swari waza or hanmi handachi. Just too much risk considering the history.
tmac5454

tmac5454 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 02:14:32 PM »

Greetings! While I purchased my VFFs for comfort, one of my first thoughts was how great these would be for when I start up my Systema train8ng again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: