BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 22, 2014, 02:15:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Canada. And I HATE running. Am I the only one here?  (Read 1347 times)
maunmaun

maunmaun is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »

Hi,
I am 36 years old, new here and ordered my 1st pair of VFF today (black KSO from KayakShed). I passed very very close to ordering a pair from eBay 2 days ago for not a lot cheaper actually but that's another story.
I absolutely HATE/DISPISE running as I find it tiring and don't see the point of it (really I don't). I do not run. Like ever (I can conceive and accept some people like to do that, and I am very happy for them, I just don't understand why).
I like treking more. Light treking, not the hardcore several days in a row with a heavy pack type. Unless it is at a slow pace. I think I just don't like sport for the sake of it (except some martial arts for the meditative contemplative aspect of them).
I think I like treking because there is a reason to do it for me (and that's not walking): I like big outdoors and landscape photography. I like big trees and wilderness.

I think I will like feeling the earth and plants under my feet, I will probably feel closer to nature (I am NOT a tree huger kind of person at all, I am very carnivorous and an IT geek/System Admin - I just need a balance sometime).

I hate shoes too. I mean I like them it's comfy and all but I never wear shoes when I can avoid them. I prefer feeling my feet on the ground.

So, now I told you about me, tell me about you: Am I the only one here who hates running?
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:20:49 PM »

Welcome to BirthdayShoes!  I used to despise running.  It seemed like too much of a chore.  Now that I run in minimalist shoes and have ditched the ipod and headphones, I enjoy it a lot more.  Just the feeling of semi-bare feet and the sounds of nature.  It doesn't get any better than that!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
taylordmd

taylordmd is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 11:29:35 PM »

I'm a fellow Canadian, welcome.
I used to hate running, but after having 2 kids and learning a more efficient way to run (which I learned because of my VFF's), running is now my way to stay sane. I was injured for a few weeks and really missed it. I couldn't believe it, I was always the kid who started dreading the next Track and Field day (the next year) the second my events were done.  On Saturday I ran my first half marathon, and I plan to do another in May.  I hope you'll give it a chance!
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »

Welcome! Smiley

I don't hate running, but my interests are a lot closer to yours - nature, hiking, photography, just experiencing the feel of the earth and sticks, etc. underfoot.  There are others of us here on the boards... we're just a bit quieter about it than the running crowd.  Wink

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:44:03 PM »

tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 12:45:22 AM »

so i really like running, but i can totally understand why people HATE it... welcome to the site!  Smiley

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
fyd

fyd is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:35:54 AM »

i'm new also. i'm not a huge running fan myself. I just don't run very fast... and i'm not in very good shape. i love me vff's for everyday wear though. currently looking into a pair for winter wear. I'm in Pennsylvania... anyone have any suggestions?

live so that when you die even the undertaker is sad to see you go.
Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:21 AM »

Hate is a very strong word don't you think?  Roll Eyes

And while I love running as much as many other things, I always have a hard time getting off my but to start doing even the things I love most.... but I always start knowing I will great and happy by the time I'm done... Grin

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

The Journey is  the reward...
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »

i'm new also. i'm not a huge running fan myself. I just don't run very fast... and i'm not in very good shape. i love me vff's for everyday wear though. currently looking into a pair for winter wear. I'm in Pennsylvania... anyone have any suggestions?

I think there are some posts here for winter running where there is talk about what folks do for running in the winter -- in cooler climates.  I am in NJ and wore my KSO flows all winter last winter, and was fine. 

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
klif570

klif570 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »

Me too, I much prefer my Bikilas for everyday wear. And I think they are much better for walking than running anyway. Really, if you want to do long distances then Fivefingers is not a great idea. Half of it is just marketing nonsense and it's been said by a number of doctors that running excessively in Vibrams can lead to injuries and joint problems later on. Sure, people can believe whatever they like, but to me, they have always been barefoot and not running shoes. If I planned to wear them in the winter, I would order a size up and get some toe socks, but they don't feel as nice with socks, and easily get soaking wet.
Kryx

Kryx is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 02:40:13 AM »

Really, if you want to do long distances then Fivefingers is not a great idea. Half of it is just marketing nonsense and it's been said by a number of doctors that running excessively in Vibrams can lead to injuries and joint problems later on. Sure, people can believe whatever they like, but to me, they have always been barefoot and not running shoes.
Not to be rude, but this is non-sense. People can and do run very long distances (100+ miles) barefoot or in minimalist shoes. Studies have shown less injury if anything. Please do not spread mis-information.

Back on topic: I never really liked running before. Vibrams made me enjoy it for sure. I only do it when I feel like running though - no strict schedule.
Shiraz-mataz

Shiraz-mataz is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 06:27:55 AM »

Welcome maunmaun!  Like you, I also H-A-T-E running!  Sometimes I'm out walking the dog and of course he wants to pull and run and I'm trying to hold him back.  Once in awhile I'll break into a little jog for about ten steps and then say to myself, "Ok, enough of that!"  I also enjoy being out in the woods or up in the mountains, hiking along a trail, preferably barefoot.  My KSO's do make the sharp, rocky sections a little more tolerable though.
Marisha

Marisha is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:48 AM »

Another non-runner newbie here.  I'll walk a lot faster and further than I could ever run since I won't be dying for air after 20 steps or so Grin
riceburner

riceburner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 04:31:47 PM »

I used to HATE running shod. I really enjoy minimalist/ barefoot running though. It seems like that is the thing with alot of people you aught to try it! you may like it if you take it little by little.

ARCH SUPPORT IS FOR THE WEAK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: