BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 22, 2014, 03:51:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from Seattle (Running Journal)  (Read 3532 times)
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »

One bit of advice about the treadmill. IMO it is a useful training device because it allows you to focus on your technique without the concern of getting hit by a bus or stepping on something nasty. I run on the TM 2x a week after my Concept 2 rowing routine. I enjoy the ability to focus on my foot strike and quiet running technique. Don't watch TV while running on the TM. Watch your feet and make adjustments. Like you I prefer running outside but the TM does have its advantages if you choose to leverage them. Hope your pain has diminished and that you restart your running with a cautious routine.

I agree completely.  I always enjoyed running on a treadmill. It takes so many variables out of running that you can jsut concentrate on form and just the run.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 01:04:23 PM »

Oh on a random note everytime I see TMTS I read TMNT or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Chuckle.  

LOL.  Same here.  It must have something to do with being a product of the 80s.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
mizchris93

mizchris93 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »

Yup, I enjoy the treadmill also. Mindless running while I watch TV. Also a product of the 80's.  Grin Also enjoy running outside but weather in WI can be tempermental.
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »

Oh on a random note everytime I see TMTS I read TMNT or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Chuckle.  

LOL.  Same here.  It must have something to do with being a product of the 80s.

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2011, 06:30:33 PM »

I have been riding my bike some.  I am really enjoying it.  I think in a few days I am going to start back up with running.  I want to start from the beginning of the c25k program and maybe double the amount for each week.  

Today I went to REI to try on a pair of Jaya in a size 42.  I think they might work although I am a little iffy about it.  My big toe touches the end on the right foot.  It is just barely touching.  I don't think any of the toes are really jammed/bent in the shoe.  I think I could get away with wearing them and I think overtime they might loosen up to be the right length.  If anything I stretch the big toe out just a bit and it would be fine.

I took my 2nd pair of Brown Bormio boots back to the store.  They were a size 43 and they were starting to get loose with out socks.  I exchanged them for a size 42 in black.

Currently I own:

Bikila LS (Grey/Green-43)
KSO Trek (Black-43)
Classic SmartWool (Charcoal/Black-43) (Plus Three Extras since it is Discontinued)
Moc (Black-43) (Plus One Extra since it is Discontinued)
Trek LS (Black-43)
Bormio (Whiskey/Tan-43)
Flow (Black-43)
KomodoSport LS(Castle Rock/Navy/Gray-43)
TrekSport (Black/Red-42),
KSO Trek (Brown-42)
Bormio (Black-42)

I am thinking about the Jaya in red/white/blue or yellow and also the black/orage KSO.  

I wish I could have the Sorrento (Penny Loafer) style now.  I am most looking forward to that style during the next release.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:32:34 PM by BearFooted » Logged

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2011, 09:19:12 PM »

I have been riding my bike some.  I am really enjoying it.  I think in a few days I am going to start back up with running.  I want to start from the beginning of the c25k program and maybe double the amount for each week.  

Today I went to REI to try on a pair of Jaya in a size 42.  I think they might work although I am a little iffy about it.  My big toe touches the end on the right foot.  It is just barely touching.  I don't think any of the toes are really jammed/bent in the shoe.  I think I could get away with wearing them and I think overtime they might loosen up to be the right length.  If anything I stretch the big toe out just a bit and it would be fine.

I took my 2nd pair of Brown Bormio boots back to the store.  They were a size 43 and they were starting to get loose with out socks.  I exchanged them for a size 42 in black.

Currently I own:

KSO Trek (Black-43)
Classic SmartWool (Charcoal/Black-43) (Plus Three Extras since it is Discontinued)
Trek LS (Black-43)
Bormio (Whiskey/Tan-43)
Flow (Black-43)
KSO Trek (Brown-42)
Bormio (Black-42)

I am thinking about the Jaya in red/white/blue or yellow and also the black/orage KSO.  

I wish I could have the Sorrento (Penny Loafer) style now.  I am most looking forward to that style during the next release.

Ladies and Gentlemen... I present to you Exhibit "A" in the case of "How to know you are addicted to VFF's"   Grin lol

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen... I present to you Exhibit "A" in the case of "How to know you are addicted to VFF's"   Grin lol

Yep indeed.  Crazy thing is before this I wore the same dress loafer that I bought $20 marked down from $120 for over 4 years. 

BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »

Currently I own:

KSO Trek (Black-43)
Trek LS (Black-43)
Bormio (Whiskey/Tan-43)
Flow (Black-43)
KSO Trek (Brown-42)
Bormio (Black-42)
KSO (Black/Orange-42)

JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 06:45:57 PM »

Haha pulled the trigger on the smaller pair of KSO's huh?

GoodJava

GoodJava is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 06:50:08 PM »

I think in a few days I am going to start back up with running.  I want to start from the beginning of the c25k program and maybe double the amount for each week.
Whoa...are you saying you are going to double the program workout each week? That sounds like a recipe for injury.

It's all mind over matter. I no longer mind cause you no longer matter. -Hollywood Movie-
BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 01:04:16 AM »

I think in a few days I am going to start back up with running.  I want to start from the beginning of the c25k program and maybe double the amount for each week.
Whoa...are you saying you are going to double the program workout each week? That sounds like a recipe for injury.

No no I am going to take twice as long and repeat every week twice.  Take 3 or 4 months instead of 2.  Not the other way around.  That does sound like it would be a disaster. 

BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:20 AM »

Haha pulled the trigger on the smaller pair of KSO's huh?

Yea they were only 59.99 at rnjsports I could not find the black and orange color locally.  I thought it looked striking but still subtle.  Not as flash as the red remix which just scream HEY LOOK AT MY FEET!!!!!!!

I also went by and picked up a brown Trek LS in a size 42 as well.  Since they will not be around for long I figured I should stock up. 

I also tried on a speed.  I had no interesting in buying it because I don't like the B&W color.  I did notice that in a size 42 I felt like they were a bit tight in the heel.  So I agree with others they tend to run a bit tight. 

Currently I own:

KSO Trek (Black-43)
Trek LS (Black-43)
Bormio (Whiskey/Tan-43)
Flow (Black-43)
KSO Trek (Brown-42)
Bormio (Black-42)
KSO (Black/Orange-42)
Trek LS(Whiskey/Tan-42)

BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »

I got in the Black KSO yesterday.  I like the color style...  They seem to fit well with October.  They are quite comfortable.  Know I know why the KSO seems to be the gold standard. 

I am going to start running again soon.  I feel like my foot is back up to spec.  I am going to follow the coutch to 5k but double the amount of time I spend on each week.  I may not follow the c25k program and I may end up using a custom program with my Sunnto Quest.  It does a good job of keeping me in a target heart rate.  I think if I use it and don't push myself to hard it may be a better choice. 

Also I am put the finishing touches on my article I wrote for Birthdayshoes.com main blog.  Check it out:

http://birthdayshoes.com/waterproofing-the-bormio-fivefingers

I still love my Bormio boots.  I am going to be putting together a video review soon I think. 

BearFooted
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 12:37:55 AM »

Well I caught a cold... bummer.  That may put off my running for a bit.  Just the normal scratchy throat, cough, and sniffle junk.  

I realized I never photographed my shoe setup.  I did tonight with my phone and thought I would include it here.  I labled everything for ease.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertbarr/6293625088/sizes/o/in/photostream/ Full Size

I love the this shoe storage solution.  I got it from bed bath and beyond.  It is called:

Real Simple Free-Standing 14-Cubby Closet Organizer

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17958852

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: