BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 19, 2014, 06:24:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from the UK  (Read 549 times)
Vibram geek

Vibram geek is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »

Hello from the UK!
After having read this forum for weeks I finally got round to joining myself today. Thanks for all the useful information shared in this forum, it has helped me a lot finding out more about five fingers.
« on: March 04, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:55 PM »

Welcome to the site!

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:00 PM »

Welcome from another UK vibram Geek
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

Another hello from UK. I've been lurking for a few months.

A little background: I'm not a runner, more a walker.  I've had a pair of KSO Treksports (original black colour, M46) since October 2011. I've used them mainly as a substitute for slippers indoors and as driving shoes.  The weather hasn't been kind enough so far to allow me to use them outdoors more than occasionally, and I'm still a little apprehensive of what sort of reaction I'll get.

I've not once seen anyone in VFFs in this area, not even joggers or runners.  A few months ago I got a curious look from a woman sat in an adjacent car at a petrol (gas) station when I was wearing the Treksports for driving.  I just smiled in return.

Why did I get them? I have narrow flat feet and the orthotics I've been prescribed are not comfortable over long periods. What I'm hoping to do is build up the muscle strength gradually so that I have less need of the support the orthotics provide. I have found the Treksports extremely comfortable and my feet naturally acquire an arch whilst I'm wearing them and for several hours afterwards.

Hoping to venture out more now the weather is improving, I recently got some Speeds from Amazon UK (Amazon themselves, not a marketplace seller) under a 20% off weekend offer. I got two sizes as I wasn't sure of my size in the different soles. All Amazon had in stock in my size range were M46 in white/blue and M47 in black/white. M46 was definitely on the tight side. The M46es were just touching on the big toe (which is considered OK) but the surprise was how short the middle toe was. As I'm going to be using these as casual shoes rather than running in them, it's unlikely that I'll stretch them enough to make them comfortable. Hence I've gone with the M47s. My big toe just touches the end when I flex them.

Amazon UK's return policy is favourable for UK addresses: completely free returns including the return postage. The Speeds appear to be genuine: it's a cloth flash in front of the laces (not mesh) and the lower portion of tongue is mesh. The downside with Amazon is that their stock levels are usually very low.

A possible next purchase would be Trek LS (Vibram Italy only stock up to M46, which makes me hesitant in getting from there) or maybe wait for the Speed LR.

Today is probably going to be my first venture out in public (in the black Speeds). I'm wondering how many double-takes there will be and how much explaining I'll have to do.

VFF: M46: KSO (Four colours), Trek (Brwn)x2, Trek LS (Blk), Treksport (Bk/Bk, Orange/Bk), KMDSport (Bk/Silver), EL-X (Black),
     Flow (Bk), Signa, Speed (Bk/Wht), Sprint (Wht/Blue, fake?); M47: Speed (Bk/Wht), Classic (Grey/Green, too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove (Blk), 47 VB Synth Hiker
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

Vibram geek

Vibram geek is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:07:01 PM »

Good to hear from other Uk vibram geeks Smiley

@ Nowster - I was wondering about buying five fingers from amazon before. I got a pair from amazon themselves as well (not a market place) and I sure they are real (I properly compared them to the real thing). However, I have had some people say that vffs from amazon are usually fake.
Good to hear someone else had success with amazon.
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »

I think the difference is that in the USA, Vibram USA can dictate who resells their product, whereas in Europe that practice would probably be unlawful.

The first outing in the Speeds was in a couple of supermarkets... Nobody noticed, or if they did, nobody commented. I suppose there's the element of chutzpah. Look confident and as though nothing is unusual, and people won't notice anything is out of the ordinary.

Now, after an hour of walking on concrete floors (two separate half hours, with an hour's gap between them wearing smart leather shoes) and a bit of driving, my feet are telling me that that was enough for today. One toe is on the verge of hurting and my feet are tingling.

VFF: M46: KSO (Four colours), Trek (Brwn)x2, Trek LS (Blk), Treksport (Bk/Bk, Orange/Bk), KMDSport (Bk/Silver), EL-X (Black),
     Flow (Bk), Signa, Speed (Bk/Wht), Sprint (Wht/Blue, fake?); M47: Speed (Bk/Wht), Classic (Grey/Green, too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove (Blk), 47 VB Synth Hiker
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: