BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 28, 2014, 12:25:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from West Michigan  (Read 414 times)
BenwayNet

BenwayNet is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »

I'm a brand new runner. I decided this month I need to lose some weight and everything was pointing to running. I found some podcast to go from couch to 5k in 8 weeks. I don't know if I'll be able to get up to speed that fast (finding time to run without the kids is difficult) But I got a fitbit tracker to monitor my steps and I'm just trying to be more active.

I saw toe shoes for the first time at kohl with the fila shoes, after search about them I found this site.

I currently do not have any "running" shoes and have been doing a little reading on what I should start with. I do live in west michigan so weather is always an issue. I love walking around the house and yarn in bare feet. But since I'm just starting to run I don't know what style running I am.

Were I'm going is do you think two shoes are good for someone just starting to run? Plus I'm cheap and until I really start to stick with it I don't want to spend $100 for shoes.

Thanks for listen and any advice.

Have a great day.

jb
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »

monkeyshoes

monkeyshoes is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »

Welcome  Smiley
If you are not a runner, take it easy.  Start with little and go easy, to prevent injury.
BenwayNet

BenwayNet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:28 PM »

Thanks, I will take it easy.

Any feedback on shoes? are toeshoes worth it for a newbie runner?
cincodeos

cincodeos is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »

In this topice you'll find some good discounts:

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/buy-sell-or-trade/authorized-vff-reseller-discount-thread/30/

CincoDeos
Trujillo Alto, PR, USA
Vibram FiveFingers: --Sprints, TrekSport (x2), KMDSport LS, Trek LS, KMDSport(x2), Spyridon LS, Speeds, KSO (x2), Classics, KSO Treks (x4), Bikila, Treksport Sandals
Vivobarefoot: Ra (x5), Evo, Gobi, Hybrid, Jay
Lems; NB Minimus; Tune ; Altra Superior, Provission
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:34:27 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »

Welcome!

I do think toe shoes (VFFs) are worth it. They last a long time.

Here's some good info on getting started:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/new-barefoot-minimalist-runners-start-here

http://birthdayshoes.com/how-to-transition-to-running-in-vibram-five-fingers

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
DrBig74

DrBig74 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 11:51:26 AM »

Welcome!  Great to have you here!
Take it easy. Learn correct form, and listen to your body.  You might also try some other cardio exercises to switch out running everyday, as you get used to it.  Swimming is great for the joints, but also biking, elliptical, etc...  Buy the VFF's that you really like and are proud of, instead of the cheapest one.  If you browse sound here, there is always a posting of a sale or discount, the community is great!
Best!

Be well!

DrBig74
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »

If price is a concern, you can pick up a pair of KSOs or Classics really reasonable, as cheap or cheaper than those darn Skeletoes.  There are huge clearance sales going on now.  Check out the non-forum side of the site for details.  I got a pair of Classics from Travelcountry for $45.99 with the shipping.  Although they are my favorite model, I live in MN and am sympathetic to your climate issues.  For that reason, I would say KSOs might be a better choice.  A little more foot coverage and you can wear toe socks with them for extra warmth.  Once you get a pair and love them, then you can decide on another (more expensive) pair.  There are several water resistant models coming out soon, but unfortunately they will all be over a hundred bucks, likely $130.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:33:08 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
BenwayNet

BenwayNet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 02:42:07 PM »

thank you everyone for your help and support. I went to a local running shop and got a pair of brooks running shoes.
They have a good return policy so I can run with them a bit and take them back if they don't feel right.

Sorry I won't be joining you right now in the fivefinger movement right now Smiley

We can keep in touch on runkeeper > http://runkeeper.com/user/benwaynet/profile
or fitbit > http://www.fitbit.com/user/22SJLK

jb
toesstoutdownyesfingers

toesstoutdownyesfingers is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »

Welcome!

Start by walking/ jogging barefoot.  That will get your body to start building the muscles needed to start running in minimal shoes.

M43 Komodosport LS Castle Rock/Navy/Grey
M43 Bikila Royal Blue/Black/Grey
M43 TrekSport Black/Charcoal
M43 Classics Black
M44.5 Merrell Road Glove Twilight
M44.5 Merrell Bare Access Black/Gecko
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: