BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 23, 2014, 07:53:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hey guys, eagerly waiting for my KSOs  (Read 676 times)
floriakir

floriakir is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »

Hi guys. I ordered size 44 (measured my feet according to the vibram guide in order to find out, usually I wear size 46-47 EU) KSOs in black last night after having thought about buying them for a fair while. I hope they'll get here soon  Smiley

A bit about myself:
I'm 21 years old, come from Germany and after high school I spent two years in the army where the boots gave me hell (four surgeries due to ingrown toenails), but where I also started some occasional running. Last year I finished my army time and started commercial pilot training and recently started recreational running again. However since joining the army I started to get LOTS of blisters when running, even after doing some fancy video analysis at runners point (German sports store chain) and spending a bunch of money on supposedly "decent" running shoes which apparently (didn't) support my running style. So far I avoided blisters (or rather the painful effects of them) by wrapping the blister-hotspots in medical tape but read about the VFFs some time ago. Since I believe that my blister plague has something to do with a wrong posture, I hope that the KSOs will give me some relief on that issue and let me focus on enjoying my runs again...
« on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:39 PM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »

Welcome! Just remember to ease in to wearing VFF's.. take it slow, slow, slow!  I hope you enjoy them and the wealth of knowledge on the forum!

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »

Welcome to the site!

I agree with Stef, take it very slowly.  Here is some good info if you're interested;

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/new-barefoot-minimalist-runners-start-here

http://birthdayshoes.com/how-to-transition-to-running-in-vibram-five-fingers

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
floriakir

floriakir is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

Thanks for being so supportive right away, unfortunately the shoes haven't arrived so far. Looking at the signatures of most board members and how many VFF they own, I'm wondering if you can wear the shoes in everyday life or if you strictly wear them for working out!? The model 'speed' for example makes me believe they could actually be worn in almost every situation. How du you feel about that?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »

In the last few days, I've had some very positive responses to wearing my black Speeds. Many people don't initially notice the toes.

I've caught the bug... Amazon UK were doing a 20% off "a single order of shoes" promotion this month, and they had the black camo M47 KSOs available for just over 60 before discount. So I've got a pair of those scheduled to arrive this Wednesday. If they don't fit or I don't like the style, I can send them back for a full refund with free return postage.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 01:40:09 PM by nowster » Logged

VFF: M46: KSO (Four colours), Trek (Brwn)x2, Trek LS (Bk), Treksport (Bk/Bk, Orange/Bk), KMDSport (Bk/Silver), EL-X (Bk),
     Flow (Bk), Signa, Speed (B/W), Sprint (Wht/Blue, fake?), KSO EVO (Bk); M47: Speed (B/W), Classic (Gry/Grn, too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove (Bk), 47 VB Synth Hiker
rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 05:00:47 AM »

Welcome! I cant wear my VFF's all the time as I am in the military right now. So I pretty much just wear them for working out. I usually dont get blisters though. Maybe once in a blue moon.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
floriakir

floriakir is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:00:39 AM »

finally got them, thanks for all the guides, i'll do a short run today...
floriakir

floriakir is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »

Calves forgive me, for I have sinned!!!  Grin

Good news: Just one tiny blister!

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/47796868
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 11:18:12 AM »

HOLY CRAP!!!! 8.5 MILES FOR YOUR FIRST RUN IS ASKING FOR TROUBLE!!!!

Seriously... that is WAY too much.  your first run should be well under a mile. you are asking for TOFP, TMTS, and every other anagram injury out there.  Back it down and take the transition slowly.  My first run was 1/4 mile and my calves were exploding for 3 days after.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »

Thanks for being so supportive right away, unfortunately the shoes haven't arrived so far. Looking at the signatures of most board members and how many VFF they own, I'm wondering if you can wear the shoes in everyday life or if you strictly wear them for working out!? The model 'speed' for example makes me believe they could actually be worn in almost every situation. How du you feel about that?

Yes, these can be worn for everyday.  Many people prefer Speeds for casual wear due to their aesthetics, but other models are fine as well.  I wear my Classics 100% of the time in the summer. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:09 PM »

floriakir, I have 13 pairs and only 1 pair is for running, 1 for hiking and 1 for water sports, the others are all for casual everyday wear (colorful Sprints and Classics). And as Justin pointed out, your first run in Vff's was way too long, pls start under a mile then increase about 10% every time on non concecutive days. It's bugging to have to scale back so much, but if you don't all your foot and leg structures will get hurt (calves, Achille's tendon, ankle ligaments, metatarsals, posterior tibialis, etc.). They need lots of time to adapt to their new jobs. Make sure to warm up the calves and ankles really well before the run as well, and long stretches of the calves after.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 02:57:00 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

Similarly, just a quick jog from petrol pump to the cashier at the filling station today in my Speeds caused a warning twinge in the ankle. I'd been in a driving position for over an hour, so my muscles weren't ready. The longest run I've done so far has been about 50 yards on asphalt at the weekend, just to see whether my feet would land correctly (it felt like they did).

VFF: M46: KSO (Four colours), Trek (Brwn)x2, Trek LS (Bk), Treksport (Bk/Bk, Orange/Bk), KMDSport (Bk/Silver), EL-X (Bk),
     Flow (Bk), Signa, Speed (B/W), Sprint (Wht/Blue, fake?), KSO EVO (Bk); M47: Speed (B/W), Classic (Gry/Grn, too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove (Bk), 47 VB Synth Hiker
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:23:50 AM »

Checking your workout schedule now, it seems you have done three 8.5 mile runs in the past two weeks.  You are seriously asking for trouble.  I upped my mileage too fast (still way slower than THAT) and within a couple of weeks I had a severely inflamed tendon (Top of Foot Pain/TOFP) (this was back in November), and just recently I feel like I could be "flirting" with a stress fracture.  I am on week two of not running at all.
I have been doing other things like p90X, insanity, and elliptical/bike training for cardio.

You need to step it WAY, WAY back or you're going sorely regret it. I know it sucks and it's tough... but you need to let your body adjust and strengthen. That takes time and patience.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 08:28:13 AM by Stefanie » Logged

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
floriakir

floriakir is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »

Only that very last run was in the VFFs though. I did do regular running before that, just used a different tracking service than endomondo, hence the lacking data before that. However, my calves are punishing me for that last run pretty badly, will definitely not do sports for the next at least 5 days I'd say...
floriakir

floriakir is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »

Alright, been doing some easier running in the KSOs now. A 5.5km run on friday and this one today: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/50351308

I already enjoy to run in them a LOT, however I'm really stuck with old habits (long stride, low cadence), so today I used a metronome app set to 180BPM (currently reading born to run and almost through with it) and managed to run even uphill extremely easily compared to how exhausted I usually am on that hill.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: