BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 28, 2014, 12:14:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from Arizona.  (Read 549 times)
ccopper

ccopper is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

Hello all from hot hot Phoenix - what a feeling walking across the parking lots in VFFs! Just got my first pair of Sprints and bf got Classics. I am still getting used to them - I have back problems (mostly hip now) and I am hoping that these will eventually help me. I do have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answers for - hopefully someone on here can help.

1. I've been reading that you should walk "normal" with these shoes, but I just can't figure out what that is. I am a heel-striker and I keep doing so in these shoes. That has been leading to even more pain. I tried looking for videos or tutorials for some insight but not having any luck, everything I read says you just find it - I like to learn by reading/watching and then doing.

2. My bf has big feet - size 47 in the Classic. He says his toes are hurting, like they are pushing too much into the toe fabric. Any suggestions? Looks like there are not many size 48s available for him to go to a bigger size.

3. Last question - on my Sprints my heel is mostly bubbled (toes feel fine), which doesn't bother me except when driving. Do I just have too small of a heel for the shoe?
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:03 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 07:54:25 PM »

Check out this posting for running form:

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/vff-or-barefoot-running/started-c25k-today-blisters/msg51128/#msg51128

Regarding your boyfriend's feet, are his toes pushing into the top of the fabric?  Or not the rubber toe caps?

Welcome to BirthdayShoes!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Island_Chelu

Island_Chelu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:31:38 AM »

Your BF can try doing the Morton toe mod to each to if its not too much of a stretch. I have morton's toe so I had to do it, but only to 1 toe on each foot. I used a hair dryer instead of a lighter and it worked fine. You just have to leave it there.

Here's the link for the mod.
http://birthdayshoes.com/got-morton-s-toe-lengthen-your-vibram-five-fingers-second-toe-with-this-mod
delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »

Welcome to the wonderful Birthdayshoes website.

I bet Phoenix is hot. There was an article in Runners world where the writer was training and had to take a trip to Phoenix. He got in touch with a running club out there and they started their morning runs around 3 am. LOL

To answer your first question yes walking heel to toe is very normal in these shoes. You are suppose land heel and then roll to the big toe. When walking both feet are on the ground therefore, the pressure and impact is very light and distributed. When you are in running that is very different because you actually have periods where nothing is on the ground. Check out Vivobarefoot on their barefoot tab. They have videos on barefoot running and walking. Smiley

Have you tried adjusting the heel straps on your sprints?

Your bf may have to get a bigger size, I would get him to try some if you can find the size.

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »

ccopper

ccopper is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I am thinking about the Moron toe mod. It turns out he's getting an ingrown toenail now - he has a hammertoe and the front(rubber part) of the toe is pushing on the side of his toe.

I tried changing my walk yesterday at work, and I think I found something that works - just need to prevent the tripping (damn that hurts now!). I have the straps tight, but not too tight on my sprints - but the straps are above the heel bubble I have. The bubble is right behind my heel at the bottom. I don't like to keep the straps tight cause then the shoe digs into the back of my ankle.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: