BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 20, 2014, 11:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from GA  (Read 376 times)
pcvib

pcvib is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »

Hi All,

My very first vibram/bikila ls and I love them.  I love running, but love it even more with this new running.  i mean, my calves were sore for a couple of days, like my first marathon, but they are so much better.  i still go back to my old running shoes (brooks) every now and then, but should I just stick to minimalist shoes?  i mean, it's okay, only thing going back to regular shoes are that they feel like i'm in heels.  hehehe.  i've gotten up to 8 miles in them...mostly road, not much trail use in them.  am i confusing my legs too much by switching back and forth?  thinking of running a half in them for the first time...and if it feels good, it should be okay, right?  thoughts?

also, this is my first post...think it's an awesome site with so many people/support.  very cool.     

« on: March 22, 2012, 04:05:50 PM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:48:11 PM »

Welcome!  Nice choice with the Bikila's.  Some people will tell you that they can't switch back and forth others can with no problem.  i switch between minimalist and traditional without an issue, but I do all my running in minimalist.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »

Switching to minimalist footwear is strengthening your legs and activating muscles not previously used.  I do not believe you will deteriorate this by switching back and forth as long as you routinely reintroduce the minimalist.  If you went minimalist and then 100% stopped and went back to traditional footwear, then in time you would have a regression.

Even if you are a regular runner, 8 miles in minimalist footwear right out of the gate is a recipe for injury.  You need to go at it slowly and pace yourself or you are destined for an injury.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
pcvib

pcvib is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »

Hi, thanks for your thoughts.  I think you're right, why rush into a half.  Probably just wanting to prove to people that are looking at me/my shoe with this funny look that it's not crazy.  I've only had them since December, so still a long way to go.  I do find myself running more 'gently' in my tennis shoes, just being more aware. 
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:32:04 PM »

rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »

Welcome!

I transitioned between my VFF and my traditional shoes in the beginning as well. I think it allowed a smooth transition. Now, all of my running is in my VFF's. I think youre doing just fine if you were able to complete an 8 mile run in them but you might want to wait a little longer before you do a half. How did your feet feel after?

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
pcvib

pcvib is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »

My feet felt fine after the 8 miler, a little tightness in the calves afterwards, but good feeling.  i wasn't wobbling around.  i walked around in them a lot when i first got them...1/2 mile here and then a miler one week.  so i didn't jump into it right away.  but is that slapping sound pretty normal...i guess so?  the softer, the better?  i'm trying to think of landing forefoot and heels gently/quickly kissing the ground as mentioned in the other post i've found.  it's funny how much thinking it takes when running in them...so my goal is to get to the point where i'm not thinking about my foot landing.  so you've gotten to to 12 miles...and do you think about your running form/landing a lot whenever you run? 
rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:08 AM »

I honestly dont think about how my feet are landing anymore. Im pretty sure that I use more of a mid-foot strike, but my heels do still quickly kiss the ground. It honestly feels natural now. Im pretty sure that the only time I focus on my landing is when im on a gravel road because it annoys me to all levels when I land on a sharp rock. I do still hear a slapping when im running as well.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: