BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 23, 2014, 03:48:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from Iceland!  (Read 1060 times)
jadias

jadias is a new face.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

Hey there everyone,
I'm James, actually from the UK but currently studying abroad for a year in Iceland.

Someone on some other forums I browse posted that they just bought a pair of VFF KSOs and I was immediately taken by the look. Two days of research later and I just ordered myself a pair of Classics and a couple of pairs of mid-height Injinji socks from KayakShed.

We will soon see how they cope with the cold... and with ice. I'm especially intrigued with the latter, because my hiking boots (which I wear every day...) are terrible on slick ice. They'll get wear every day to, from and around campus, I hope, plus river crossings while hiking. They seem like just the ticket.

I'm already looking at a pair of KSOs or KSO Treks, too. I can see this turning into quite an addiction...

Cheers all Smiley

"And forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."
- Kahlil Gibran
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:54:47 PM »

Welcome!  Smiley

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:12:30 PM »

Hello and welcome.

Hows life in Iceland? been on my places to visit for a few years but not got there yet.

Jason England

jadias

jadias is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »

Come here. It's expensive as all get-out (4 for a pint of lager?!) but the absolutely STUNNING countryside (and, if you're lucky, the northern lights) more than makes up for it.

"And forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."
- Kahlil Gibran
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:28:54 AM »

Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:46:37 PM »

Have you seen the lights?

Would really like to experience that.

J

jadias

jadias is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »

They were amazing for a short period last night but I didn't get a chance to get any photos before a huge rain cloud rolled overhead.

I got these back in October but the lights weren't as impressive back then. Still very cool though.

Check the Orionid meteor in the last one Cheesy

- Kahlil Gibran
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:28:56 PM »

Cracking stuff!

Do not even get the blanket of stars here due to the sodding light pollution.

What sthe best time of year for the lights?

J

jadias

jadias is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:58:33 PM »

Round about now! But you're also at the mercy of the weather. In fact, in total you're at the mercy of the weather (cloud cover kills it), moonlight (too bright and you can't see it), air temperature (too warm and it won't really happen) and solar radiation (has to be high enough, and in the right place, at the right time). I've been here since August and literally seen two good displays...

Also I just realised I missed the stickied topic with the little questionnaire at the start of this forum, because I'm a moron, so here goes!

1. What styles VFFs do you currently have? Classic (in the mail), want to buy KSOs
2. How did you first hear about VFFs? Someone on some other forums posted theirs in a thread about "the best things you've ever bought".
3. How long have you had your VFFs? I'll have them in about a week!
4. What do you enjoy doing in your VFFs? Hoping to use them for general wear, and running.
5. Do you have any funny stories about people seeing you in them? Not yet...
6. Have you ever spurred anyone else to get VFFs? A few friends are seriously looking at getting them.
7. What is your job, and will they let you wear VFFs to work? Student, so yeah, I'll go for it.
8. Anything else you'd like to share about yourself? I'm from the UK, currently in Iceland and am literally a travel nut in every respect...
9. How'd you hear about birthdayshoes.com? Same forum as before, I think - someone posted a link.

- Kahlil Gibran
jadias

jadias is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:10:46 PM »

So I got my Classics today, finally. I'd only been wearing them for a few hours when I went for a brisk 5 minute run on hard tarmac/concrete. They absolutely rock and are a total revelation, and I am in love.

And not only did I enjoy the run, but I was rewarded with this view (and the opportunity to take this photo and more, woo!):

I tried my best to get a shot with the VFFs in the foreground, but to no avail, sadly.

My feet were cold as all get-out during the hour I spent watching them, though, even with the Injinjis. But that was to be expected so I'm not gonna complain too much. Smiley

- Kahlil Gibran
marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:37:47 AM »

So I got my Classics today, finally. I'd only been wearing them for a few hours when I went for a brisk 5 minute run on hard tarmac/concrete. They absolutely rock and are a total revelation, and I am in love.

And not only did I enjoy the run, but I was rewarded with this view (and the opportunity to take this photo and more, woo!):

I tried my best to get a shot with the VFFs in the foreground, but to no avail, sadly.

My feet were cold as all get-out during the hour I spent watching them, though, even with the Injinjis. But that was to be expected so I'm not gonna complain too much. Smiley

amazing pic - could you explain what i am looking at - especially at the bottom of the shot

jadias

jadias is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 01:19:17 PM »

That would be the Aurora Borealis (aka the Northern Lights) - basically solar radiation interacting with gas atoms in the upper atmosphere to create the most amazing free light show.

The row of lights at the bottom are some of the lights around the bay in Reykjavik - they're extra-bright because I was running a long exposure time on my camera (somewhere around 10 seconds).

This was by far the best display I've seen so far, and I've been here since August. Absolutely mind-blowing. I have more photos if anyone is interested. If they show again tonight I will try my damnedest to get my VFFs in the shot!

EDIT: I spoke too soon - one shot was rescuable and came out ok. I'll try for a better one tonight, though! It's hard to keep your feet elevated in front of the lens, and perfectly still, for 10 seconds when it's below freezing...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:03:51 PM by jadias » Logged

- Kahlil Gibran
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: