BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 17, 2014, 05:36:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Life-Changing?  (Read 2783 times)
fingerhunter

fingerhunter is a new face.

Motivated not Dominated

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:14:05 AM »

Ryan--That's awesome! So my math tells me you're 16, maybe 17?  Great for Vibram to have a young fan who has reaped the benefits.  Thanks for sharing.

Give me Speeds! Give me Speeds!.........1 Pair Gray/Palm KSO, 1 Pair Blk/Gray Camo KSO  

I would rather not fight but I am not afraid to finish one
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:14:05 AM »

qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »

Funny that you're thread title is exactly my response to people when they ask about my shoes, "They've changed my life."

And that's not hyperbole or an exaggeration of any sort.

I'll be 42 in a few weeks, and have had sever chronic knee pain ever since blowing out both of my ACLs during a training accident in the US Army when I was 23 years old. I've learned to live with the pain, the inflammation, and the limitations.

And then I started to wear VFF KSOs (black) for my 3x week CrossFit workouts. After 2 months, I realized that my knee pain was easing, and I was experiencing much less swelling after my workouts.

So I bought a pair of Classics (Grey/Green) to wear when I wasn't working out in my KSOs. I wear 'em to work, to the grocery store, and even to dinner with my horrified in-laws.

Three months later, and I am nearly 100% free of the pain that has plagued me for the last 20 years. I've started running (albeit slowly and short distances) again --- I had been subbing rowing for all the running during CrossFit WoDs. And so far, no pain.

Have these shoes changed my life? Absolutely. So much so, that I'm now pursuing/training for a dream that I thought was long ago dead: quitting my current career as a Technical Writer and joining the local police department.

Thanks for sharing that - very cool story.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
hawkeye2188

hawkeye2188 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 10:41:43 AM »

Thanks for the responses folks.  Well, I'm still waiting 4 them to arrive...I'm like a little kid watching for glimpses of Santa right before Christmas, but I'm looking for the UPS truck instead    Grin
I know exactly what you mean.  My USPS mail always comes around 3:30 in the afternoon, but Ill still go ckeck the mailbox at like 2 if Im waiting for a package.  Of course, when I check it is not there. Then Ill go the the computer and spend half an hour pressing the refresh button trying to see if the tracking status has updated. Im crazy. Grin
Me too except my ups box is left on my doorstep so im always checking, and madly refreshing the tracking page. Sadley my UPS delivers around 5 or 5:30 in my neighborhood so it is even more of a wait.

On topic: Ive only had my VFFs for 2 weeks and I havent had any life changing experiences but just from walking around in them I can feel my feet and legs work and get stronger. I hope you enjoy your shoes, and welcome to the community.
BigR

BigR is starting to look familiar.BigR is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »

And yes I'm 16 and will be turning 17 in Oct. I'm one of the youngest users here that I know of. And I own more pairs than I really should haha.

"The shoemaker's son always goes barefoot."
I want to smother the guy who said we need arch support...
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »

Fwear

Fwear is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

Since using VFF's exclusively my knee pain is completely gone...  I tried a regular pair of shoes and it came back within minutes.  Total life changer.
bohicawill

bohicawill is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »

Welcome Aboard! And yes in a small way they have changed my life. I am a retired Navy Veteran and my poor feet were stuffed in steel toe shoes for 20 years. It is a wonder I can still walk. But my feet seem to be doing better since I have started wearing these shoes. And I certainly have learned to be more social with total strangers when they are asking numerous questions of my wife and myself about our shoes. At first it was kind of nice but now it is getting old and I try to be polite and cut the conversation short when possible. Once again Welcome to our forum.
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2010, 12:37:44 AM »

I haven't turned my ankle since going minimalist. I use to turn my ankle in cushioned shoes, but I have a better feel of what going on under my foot now such that I can catch myself before turning my ankle. Also I'd like to think my feet have gotten stronger. I still have that nagging side of the foot pain behind my pinky toe. I wonder if it'll ever go away.
Jessekuhs

Jessekuhs is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »

I don't have an awesome story like Ryan or Robbie, but I have one nonetheless Smiley

When I was about 9 I severely sprained one of my ankles...from that point on I was constantly twisting an ankle or just enduring excruciating pain from "doing too much."  I can remember helping run the parking lot at a local fair when I was around 12 and that night I literally had to crawl into the house because both of my ankles were causing me that much pain to walk on. 

Fast forward to High School.  I enjoyed playing both Basketball and Volleyball, but after my sophomore year I was dealing with so much achilles tendon pain that I just could not play any longer.  The next two years were filled with try this and try that...and some PT.  My Senior Year, I had to wear a boot on my left foot and walk on crutches causing my entire lower leg to atrophy.  The idea:  rebuilding the muscle would solve the problem....yeah, try again! The summer between my Senior Year of HS and Freshman Year of College I had surgery on my left foot, which led to some lovely arthritis.

I am now 30, and have spent way too much time and energy trying to find sneakers that have "enough support" to fix my ankle issues, or at least make the issues bearable.

My Classics arrived on June 14, 2010, followed 2-3 weeks later by a pair of KSOs.  For a while I've come into work on Mondays, after a long weekend of being busy and on the go, all gimpy.  For the past 4 or 5 Mondays, I have not been gimpy.  There was one week where I probably overdid a little on the pavement running in my KSOs, so my forefoot was a little sore, but the usual areas where I've experienced serious pain have not been problematic. 

Things are looking up!

Jessica
South Shore, Massachusetts
New to VFFs and loving them!
karyllynne

karyllynne is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:52 PM »

Just realized another funny thing about these Toe shoes....They make me look at people's feet constantly!!  I just found myself being amazed at my 2-week-old daughter's foot dexterity.  It made me ponder: "What if I had never worn shoes...Would my feet have been as flexible and hand-like as my infant daughter's feet?"  I already know the answer to this...Alas, VFF's weren't around 30 years ago.

I've noticed that I pay more attention to other peoples' feet now, too.  The contemporary dancers on 'So You Thin You Can Dance' absolutely fascinate me.  HOW do they leap so high, and land on the TOP of their toes/foot? 

KL, in King George, Virginia
Griffin

Griffin is a new face.

The Convert

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »

And yes I'm 16 and will be turning 17 in Oct. I'm one of the youngest users here that I know of. And I own more pairs than I really should haha.

Grin NOPE! I'm thirteen. I have friends who are younger than me who wear VFF's. But I may be the youngest on the forums!

barefoot by choice, runner by evolution.
fingerhunter

Motivated not Dominated

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »

So Griffin...How have VFF's changed YOUR life at the ripe old age of 13?

Give me Speeds! Give me Speeds!.........1 Pair Gray/Palm KSO, 1 Pair Blk/Gray Camo KSO  

Griffin

Griffin is a new face.

The Convert

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

So Griffin...How have VFF's changed YOUR life at the ripe old age of 13?

I used to absolutely hate running. Completely despised it. It made my feet hurt, I felt like it was a waste of time, and thanks to a wonderfully short attention span (ADHD), it bored me to death. Once I got my FiveFingers, I immediately put them on, stepped out of the car, and proceeding to backflip several times. I enjoyed the feeling very much. After that, I climbed a few trees. I told my mom, "These are fantastic for tree climbing. I hope they're just as good for running!"

One day, I tried it out. Since i was relatively new to non-forced running, I started slow and did a mile. I was exhausted. The new running technique mixed with 100 degree weather, I barely survived. Now I run barefoot and do about 3 to 4 miles every week, since when I wake up it is already 95 outside.

It has changed my life for the better. It's made me healthier, happier, and more active. I love them.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:05:09 PM by Griffin » Logged

vimnjicki

vimnjicki is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41:30 AM »

Hi!  I have had my KSO Treks for about 6 months now, using them for everything from yardwork to bicycling to daily nursing shoes and hiking during an Alaska cruise.  I wear them for my ten hour shifts in the ICU, running upstairs and downstairs for code blue's as well as just standing.  The only downside is the occasional bruising of my forefoot from running down stairs.  Oh and one more "downside";  I can't wear any other shoe without discomfort.  I first saw them via Skype when my 19 year old son showed them to me.  I immediately minimized the Skype window, googled five finger shoes, found the treks and bought them on the spot.  I have never regretted that spontaneous decision.  Several other nurses and doctors at the hospital have since bought FFS, including one nurse who bought a pair from me that I had purchased from a chinese website that had been shipped with wrong size and style for me.  I have since bought two more pairs, one KSO and one Flow.  I'm still amazed at how well they breathe.
fingerhunter

Motivated not Dominated

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 03:26:57 AM »

Sooo...Unexpected change:  My calves have increased in diameter by about one inch in approximately two months of running in my KSO's....

And now my wife has a pair of Sprints on order...

Griffin

Griffin is a new face.

The Convert

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »

Sooo...Unexpected change:  My calves have increased in diameter by about one inch in approximately two months of running in my KSO's....

I have noticed the exact same thing Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: