BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 01, 2014, 12:00:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member from Clearwater, Fl  (Read 840 times)
Z

Z is a new face.

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »

Hey guys. I have been meaning to look for a VFF forum and this one looks good.

I am a fairly new runner and I have been working up my distance slowly to avoid hurting myself. I have been wanting to run a 5k and just recently pushed myself that far and have started getting my time down with no problems other than the typical soreness in my calves and feet.

Here's the big BUT I went to a Fit Camp at my gym today for the first time and apparently this was the first time they had run this far but it was a total of 4 miles and along the way we would stop and do pushups and various exercises. I was keeping up with the group but it was definitely a good workout. About a half mile from the gym I started getting pain in my right foot in the ball behind the 3rd and 4th toes. I powered through for a couple of minutes but realized something was really wrong and stopped to a walk and limped my way back. I am really in a good bit of pain. I went to see a friend that is a nurse and she thinks I tore something but probably not a stress fracture and told me stay off of it for a week.  Embarrassed

Has anybody else had injuries like this? I am really bummed about it and love my five fingers.

Z
« on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:59:46 AM »

First, welcome!  Smiley

Second - I don't remember anyone having that particular problem here, but my memory could be faulty.  Anyone?

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Leaves

Leaves is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 08:31:43 PM »

stupid question...but, when your foot meets the ground, say you roll from the outside ball to inside ball, are you also gently touching your heel to the ground? I found that when I first started running, my foremost thought was always "stay on the balls of your feet..." and somehow missed that transitory phase that brought me to gently touching my heel down before lifting off again.  I do know that on one occasion I felt some pulling and burning in the middle of my foot just behind the ball...then went back in to research form, since I had clearly missed something. Just a thought, though I'm sure you've covered your bases.
Z

Z is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »

Thanks for the reply Leaves. At first I never let my heel touch the ground because my early experimentation (direct heel hit, yeah stupid) was jarring to say the least. I had noticed that as i grew comfortable I was letting my heel touch softly sometime but honestly i'd say not consistently. But I would say mostly I was running on the balls of my feet. My calves have gotten really strong, and I worked up distance slow and cautiously. But from what you are describing my form is bad and I have hurt myself. I will focus hard on correct form as you described it when I get back on my feet.

Thanks much.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 02:34:06 PM by Z » Logged
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »

Leaves

Leaves is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »

welcome.  check out barefoot ted's site...and it never hurts to check out the Pose Method.
Z

Z is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 04:07:47 PM »

Thanks Leaves. Will check out the resources.

Got an x-ray today and it doesn't show a stress fracture so that is good I guess. Dr. says probably 6-8 weeks before I can run though. This has really shown me how important proper form is you bet I will work on it.
Leaves

Leaves is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »

This I know from experience, stress fractures don't show up on x-rays. The navy made me get an MRI bc the xray (both of them) didn't show anything. Generally, stress fractures do heal in 8 weeks, but it can take a year, much like my tibia. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: