BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 02, 2014, 10:29:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie from MD just checking in and saying Hello, Hi  (Read 583 times)
Technite80

Technite80 is a new face.

"res non verba" - with deeds not words

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »

Heard about the VFF's on the Diane Rehm Show on WAMU on Monday and being a life-long runner (sprinter turned marathon-man) I had to see what this new non-running wear is all about. I'm going to pick up a pair of Bikila's this week at my local REI and begin my journey, so from a misplaced Brooklyn Tech-Engineer/Maryland Hawk hello to the VFF forum and I hope to document my journey here...

« on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:21 PM »

Anderson

Anderson is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »

Heard about the VFF's on the Diane Rehm Show on WAMU on Monday and being a life-long runner (sprinter turned marathon-man) I had to see what this new non-running wear is all about. I'm going to pick up a pair of Bikila's this week at my local REI and begin my journey, so from a misplaced Brooklyn Tech-Engineer/Maryland Hawk hello to the VFF forum and I hope to document my journey here...

Welcome!  Hope REI has your size.  If you at least measure for size while there, you'll be able to try online vendors if needed. 

Not being sure how much you've already absorbed from this forum or other sources, let me offer some (hopefully well-placed) advice...  Please read up on the advice and stories here regarding the importance of TAKING IT SLOW in the transition to minimal running.  It seems that the established runners are sometimes more prone to early injuries or pain because they are able to push the previously-unused muscles and tendons past their limits more easily.  I was blessed with being a slacker who got out of breath before my calves were tight, but others have not been so lucky.   Wink

There are tons of happy success stories too and it would be great to see another as you document that journey.  Good luck!  Smiley

"Buy me a Bushmills, I'll sing you a song."
Technite80

Technite80 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »

Wink Thanks for the message and of course I've been reading everything I can find on the VFF and training, went thru the Beginners Guide and the conversation on the Diane Rehm Show [http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-07-12/running-america] was very informative and here's another link to one of the guest, Dr. Pribut's [http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sportframe.html] Running Injuries Page. Thanks for the friendly concern and advice it's appreciated.

Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 02:34:20 AM »

Welcome! Smiley

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 02:34:20 AM »

Anderson

Anderson is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »

Wink Thanks for the message and of course I've been reading everything I can find on the VFF and training, went thru the Beginners Guide and the conversation on the Diane Rehm Show [http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2010-07-12/running-america] was very informative and here's another link to one of the guest, Dr. Pribut's [http://www.drpribut.com/sports/sportframe.html] Running Injuries Page. Thanks for the friendly concern and advice it's appreciated.

And thank you back for the links.  Soon as I'm off the clock I'll be checking them out.  During my commute this morning, NPR had a "coming up" announcement that was something to do with archeologists finding evidence that "these feet were made for walking".  Sadly, they were still blabbing about the oil spill when I got to work.  Speaking of which...  back to the grind!

"Buy me a Bushmills, I'll sing you a song."
Shiraz-mataz

Shiraz-mataz is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »

Welcome aboard Technite80!  Nice to see another fellow Marylander here - even if you are a transplant.  I see you live up in PG County.  I am down in St. Mary's, about an hour south.
CPO-Hambone

CPO-Hambone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 10:02:55 PM »

Anne Arundel county here...Fort Meade area!  I see them up here semi-consistently.  I have two guys in my neighborhood that run in them as well, and I saw a guy walking his dog this morning up the street from my house.  Had to stop and give him a shout out!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: