BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 24, 2014, 12:14:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pleased and Disappointed  (Read 393 times)
Grimoire

Grimoire is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

I had been meaning to try toe shoes for years but could never justify the price point. I mean between eating and 'fancy shoes that look tacky as *bleep*' which would you pick?

In late January I got myself a pair of Bormios(sounds a bit early, but I have lost the invoice though for some reason have the shipping box from REI. Anyways the UPS label has a late January date on it so I assume that is when I got them). Pricey as sin, but at least they look decent/professional. It was a toss up between them and the Trek LS. However, I don't like low cut shoes. Not only do we get puddles and snow easily up to the ankles on a regular basis, but I always get crap in the low cut shoes. The Bormios are a bit shorter than I like(in winter I get snow down them unless I tuck my pants into them), however, they work well enough.

The Pleased. Even in the first few days I was tempted to describe them as 'An orgasm for your feet! A Footgasm!'. Long story short shoes have always hurt my feet no matter the fitting or fancy insoles. A good fit plus super insoles might delay the pain for a couple hours, but never could I wear them all day without pain/discomfort. Not the case with my Bormios. I don't completely forget I am wearing them, but it is pretty close. In fact now that I am back in my special insole, 'super comfy' boots(when I first got them I thought they were second only to a pair of Dr. Scholls which were tied with my high school wrestling shoes) I can say that normal shoes must be torture devices and I am not sure how they have escaped the world wide derision towards tools of torture.

The disappointing. For the price I would expect them to hold up better. True, they were likely a size too big, but I normally wear socks. Generally several pairs since toe socks are so thin. I may not like shoes but I like socks! Particularly with how cold/wet it can get in these parts. Anyways I now have tears all over in the leather and the rubber outsole is missing a quarter size or so chunk on the big toe. For the price this is unacceptable. They cost me as much as my high school Adidas wrestling shoes which lasted me FIVE years of workouts in the gym over the season AND I wore them outdoors off and on. True, at the end of their run they were in fairly sorry shape, but still wearable if only just.  In comparison in just a little over 6 months my Bormios are unwearable(the missing rubber is the back breaker). However, all the tears I have found since the rubber went missing(looking for overall damage levels) tells me why they seemed so much less water resistant these last two months.

Some pics -

I also got several areas where the rubber is coming loose(as you can see I had to goo it once before). Mostly the toe caps, though I somehow got Goo inbetween my big and second toe on the left. That stuff can get messy if you aren't careful! Also as you can see I left my room and went and enlisted a helper to get inbetween the toes! Mom is definitely tsking me. She chatised me as it was for paying so much for such a shoe. So she is giving me her 'told you so' lecture on just buying 5 dollar shoes because they last just as long. Yes a woman is chastising me for spending too much on shoes Grin

As an ending note. My shoes suffered the rubber blowout Thursday. I had a root canal afterwork on Friday. Friday I had to wear my boots for eight hours at work for the first time since getting my Bormios. I can say with the upmost honestly that I preferred the root canal(and I should note that due to my reaction to the pain killers I do NOT take anything for the pain when getting dental work done). So I would literally rather have a root canal than to wear regular old shoes anymore!
BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
« on: August 18, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

J.Fiedler

J.Fiedler is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

If you are a member at REI you should be able to take them back without any problems. They can even look up your purchase with your member #.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: