BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 21, 2014, 07:59:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your help please - Flow or KSO?  (Read 700 times)
Simon007life

Simon007life is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:15:07 PM »

Hello. I own a pair of sprints, a pair of komodosport and a pair of mocs. It can get a bit chilly in the UK sometimes (!) and I'd like a pair of 5fingers that can give some protection without making my feet sweat uncomfortably. And they have to have the original sprint sole not a real grippy one - I just prefer the feeling.

So are the flows the ones to go with or should i play it safe and go for the kso's and perhaps wear socks when nec?

I really don't know! Please help...

Thank you
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:15:07 PM »

nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 12:31:53 PM »

Hello. I own a pair of sprints, a pair of komodosport and a pair of mocs. It can get a bit chilly in the UK sometimes (!) and I'd like a pair of 5fingers that can give some protection without making my feet sweat uncomfortably.
Neoprene (as used in the Flows) doesn't breathe at all. You may get very sweaty in them. The Flows are not intended to be waterproof, either.

I'm anticipating getting the Speed LRs when they come out, which should be more suited to our typical British weather. (Wet and chilly, even in summer.)

I always wear socks with my VFFs (so far). Depending on the type of socks, you might find they keep your toes warmer. I'm currently thinking that "walking liner" toe socks might be a good option, seeing as they should wick away the wet better than cotton based toe socks.

The warmest of the ones I currently have are the Komodosports, which I see you already have. I'm hoping to get some KSOs soon, but am still hunting round for bargains. However, the uppers will be similar to the TrekSports, and they don't provide much warmth.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »

I love my Flows and wore them before I had thicker toesocks. Your feet do overheat when indoors, however.
Nowadays I largely prefer KSO with kneehigh toesocks, they do protect even better from the cold than only Flows (socks don`t work in flows)
If you only do running in them things might be different.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

I've got a pair of flows that primarily I use in extreme cold weather running. The grip is very good on ice and packed snow. Other than in very cold situations, my feet get soaked with sweat and it isn't the best feeling. I'd go with the KSO, as the flows don't really keep your feet all that much warmer unless you are running.

One thing the black soles on the new flows have an idrogrip sole, which has surprisingly good traction on snow, ice, and wet surfaces.

If you are getting them for running in cold, wet conditions, the flows are great for that. If you are mostly having them for casual wear, KSO is a better choice. They are just more comfortable for everyday use.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:49 PM »

MJ

MJ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 05:37:55 PM »

I'm waiting for the release of the Lontra for fall 2012 in August. They are made for cool/colder weather and are water resistant

MJ

MJ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »

sorry!!!   Here is the info on the Lontra.

http://birthdayshoes.com/waterresistant-vibram-fivefingers-fall-2012#Lontra
RunningInCircles

RunningInCircles is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »

I have Flows and ran in the UK in them this winter past. I put 220 miles on them in all conditions from rain to snow.

Personally, they were the worst pair I own. They stink all the time and the glue has come unstuck in several places.  The fit length wise was fine, but they are far too tight around the toes making them hard to put on and possibly negating some of their warmth due to the reduced blood flow. Had I sized up, then they would have been too long.
I managed to run during snow etc... However, it wasn't great.

I will not be getting them out again this coming winter. It will be the Lontra for me.

Basically, I persisted with them because they allowed me to run throughout the year in VFFs (just). That was preferable to running in shoes. It was not a good experience for me. I might have been better off waterproofing my Treks which are great.

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:01:52 PM »

I completely agree with RunningInCircles, I had the same experience last winter, in Canada though. But I was less tolerant and went for Vivobarefoot Evo II. Waiting for the Lontras now. I will still enjoy my Flows for water sports, I snorkel and scuba dive among other things, but that's it.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple,EVO WP
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

I won a pair of genuine Flows on eBay in my size at a reasonable price and they arrived in today's post.

What an odd feeling! They fit very tightly on your foot and toes. Not unpleasant, but weird. They're also very difficult to get on correctly.

But once on, they're snug and warm (for UK weather) and maybe a little sweaty after a few hours. I've not tried them outside in the wet yet, but I will at some point.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:31 PM »

Go with the KSO's if you want an excuse to get another pair right now... but skip the flows.  Wait until the lontra  (warm, water-resistant) and other new models come out.

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: