Greetings from miserable England. I'm a recent covert to the barefoot ethos, and to say that i'm in the early stages of learning how to do this properly would be a gross understatement.
- Not a runner (until now)
- Not fit
- Lower back disc problems have put a swift halt on previous excursions into jogging
- Came across barefoot when reading online about why I shouldn't have just bought some Air Max; thought that it might be a means by which I could run without ruining my back.
- Tried some short runs on the forefoot in some too-big cheapy sponge Reeboks (built up to about a mile over a couple of weeks) which confirmed my suspicions: no back problems. Pleased, I resolved to pursue this with vigour.
- Read up on good form etc, realised that my impressive inflexibility would need to be addressed to avoid injury (exceptionally tight hamstrings, achilles, and probably calves too I shouldn't wonder).
- Bought some VivoBarefoot Gobis for work (aching feet all day long suggests that they're providing a great foot workout)
- Embarked upon a few weeks of as much stretching, one legged balancing and squatting as I could find the time for, along with some fully barefoot runs on the local pavements. Built up from 0.3 to 0.8km over a couple of weeks.
- It seems that this was too much too soon for me
- Mild acute achilled tendonitis in my left heel right on the bone, and significantly more of it on the right heel.
- Currently 2 and a bit weeks into waiting for the pain to subside so I can mount my second attempt at easing myself safely into things. Frustrating.
- Also in the process of attempting to procure some Fivefingers for when I get back on the roads. Living in the UK, this is no easy task, as VFFs are rarer than the proverbial hen's teeth, and buying at a distance is particularly difficult for this kind of shoe.
So there it is, or rather, there I am. In terms of what i'd like to get out of this forum, my two current issues in need of your collective wisdom are:
1. Management of achilles issues and safely building into barefooting
2. VFF procurement and sizing for my outlandishly proportioned and shaped feet
For the time being i'm going to post about 2. in the sizing forum. Quick responses would be most helpful, as i'll explain in there.
As you can hopefully tell, I am totally bought into the barefoot idea, and am really eager to get up and running, but definitely in need of a bit of community support to make sure I don't screw this and/or me up in the process!