BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 23, 2014, 06:25:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3-5 mi by Aug TMTS?  (Read 1239 times)
Onoku

Onoku is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »

Hey guys, I am new to VFF and barefoot. I have been reading plenty about problems people encounter from TMTS and plan on heeding the warnings. I was wondering though, do you think shooting for 3-5 miles by the beginning of August is a realistic goal? I will be traveling in August and I would love to be able to pack my VFFs and save some room instead of bringing along bulky shoes.

My running blog - www.tentoejoe.wordpress.com

"To give any less than your best is to sacrifice a gift" -Pre
« on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »

delucio

delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.delucio is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »

If you work at it and do it carefully, yes doing that kind of mileage is realistic. Are you looking to be hiking or running?

http://barefootdallas.blogspot.com

BaReFoOt  DaLlAs
Onoku

Onoku is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:58:36 AM »

Running. I am going to be continually building up my mileage with the goal of running a marathon, so hopefully in August, 5 miles will be my short run.

tak555

tak555 is starting to look familiar.tak555 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:54:09 AM »

generally speaking, i think 3 miles by august is doable, but 5 might be pushing it. 

but, everyone's different.  i'm sure you've read it before, but the best thing to do is listen to your body. 

i stole this from member Ableobject... but it's cool:
....oooO..............
.....(....)...Oooo...
......)../.....(....)....
.....(_/.......)../.....
...............(_/.......
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:54:09 AM »

Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »

Last fall, after having had to take a month off from running due to morton's neuroma, I started at one mile and built my mileage up at 10% per week.  It took me two and a half months to go from 1 mile to 3 miles.  So I would agree:  If you really want to build up slowly, 3 miles by August is much more realistic than 5. 

Good luck!
Onoku

Onoku is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:22:02 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I will just play it by ear and let my body guide me. I'm afraid though that these are so comfortable that my body might not give me the feedback to keep me from pushing too hard.

Turnstone

Turnstone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:43:50 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I will just play it by ear and let my body guide me. I'm afraid though that these are so comfortable that my body might not give me the feedback to keep me from pushing too hard.
I just started running (with the C25k-Program, which should bring me to 5k in about 2 months, and is regarded as safe for your feet). I had the same feelings about the shoes, so I go barefoot until I have reached the 5k goal and feel that I have developed a good running form. Your bare feet tell you much sooner when it's too much!

Don't know if I will wear the VFFs for running much, it feels great doing it barefoot. I wear the Vibrams for other stuff, in fact I don't wear anything else anymore as long as the weather allows it...
paintboy

paintboy is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »

I started in december. By the end of february I was running 2.5 - 3 miles. I decided to stay at 3 miles until soccer season is over . I would hate to miss a game because I pushed to hard running.
megabarefoot

megabarefoot is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »

Here is my suggestion, take from it what you will:

A full 5k by august end of August is completely within reason, if you are careful and don't push past your current limits.

First a warning:  If you're new to the BFR running form and are running exclusively in vibrams, your foot is at greater risk of stress fracturing over the course of your training then you think; you won't feel it coming on till it reaches the point of fracture.  It really all depends on how hard you are running and the time between runs you are allowing. Be very mindful of how hard you are placing your feet when in any shoe.   I would suggest that your shorter runs be totally barefoot on concrete sidewalks and stop when your skin can't handle it any longer, then go back out once your feet feel normal again.

If you've ran in shods for while, I would suggest this:  Find your current limits when running in VFFS or barefoot; How far can you go before you just have to stop from some discomfort?  I DO mean discomfort, not pain.   You do yourself a disservice by always staying within the relative safety of the comfort zone just as much as you do by pushing past your limits and trying to do too much because it's run fun or whatever.  Don't push past the limit, just brush up against it and don't always stay within the comfort zone so much that you feel like you aren't getting any where.  You'll likely encounter muscle fatigue and stiffness in the calves for the most part but that will eventually pass with each run.  If going totally barefoot, the skin adjusting to the various surfaces is what will really keep you in check.  You don't have this feedback when in shoes.  The muscles in your legs can outlast the bones in your feet as far as feelings of discomfort but the skin doesn't.  Skin feedback is very important.

The Couch to 5K program, completely barefoot, seems a good schedule if you're a noob runner, and you can feel pretty confident that you're lower extremities will be conditioned enough to where you can push a bit hard in VFFs once you're at that point.  It has you doing 30min sessions 2-3 times per week.  If training to run naked foot, do everything you can barefoot.  Chores in and out of the house, walks, etc; anything.

I will generally do two short runs and one long run per week with two days of rest/regeneration after the long run.  My body was already conditioned for running when I started going barefoot, it was totally barefoot.  Running the VFFs before I knew what I was doing fractured my 2nd metatarsal head.  Once that healed I had to start over and it took weeks before I was able to go a full mile without having to stop; but even then I had to allow 2 days to be ready for the next run.  Eventually, you'll only need a full day after a 5k and who knows beyond that.

Good luck; I've no doubt You'll be doing your first barefoot 5k some time in august, so long as you don't injure yourself :-)
Onoku

Onoku is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:31:22 AM »

Thanks for the detailed reply, mega. Unfortunately, running barefoot isn't really an option for me at the moment. I am in iraq, and for one, I think it would be frowned upon, and two, my run route has a bit too much debris for me to be comfortable taking off the shoes. With that said, my training will be done in my VFFs. I had planned on just walking on a treadmill for at least a week, if not two, in order to get my feet used to the shoes. I walked a mile in them earlier today and I found that I am not really sure how I am supposed to land. I don't think I am heel striking, but it doesn't seem like I am landing with my my forefoot first either. I think I am landing kind of on the outside ball of my foot (I am extremely bow legged btw), with the heel coming down either at the same time or immediately after. I know running barefoot would help me figure it out, but even on the tread mill, I think it would be frowned upon. So any advice on gait?

Aside from that, as far as my build-up goes, I think it will try and progress to running one mile in a month, then one mile per two to three weeks after that. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 11:32:37 AM by Onoku » Logged

megabarefoot

megabarefoot is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:52:25 AM »

Thanks for the detailed reply, mega. Unfortunately, running barefoot isn't really an option for me at the moment. I am in iraq, and for one, I think it would be frowned upon, and two, my run route has a bit too much debris for me to be comfortable taking off the shoes. With that said, my training will be done in my VFFs. I had planned on just walking on a treadmill for at least a week, if not two, in order to get my feet used to the shoes. I walked a mile in them earlier today and I found that I am not really sure how I am supposed to land. I don't think I am heal striking, but it doesn't seem like I am landing with my my forefoot first either. I think I am landing kind of on the outside ball of my foot (I am extremely bow legged btw), with the heel coming down either at the same time or immediately after. I know running barefoot would help me figure it out, but even on the tread mill, I think it would be frowned upon. So any advice on gait?

Aside from that, as far as my build-up goes, I think it will try and progress to running one mile in a month, then one mile per two to three weeks after that. Thoughts?

Not sure I would run barefoot in those conditions either, but I would at least try to see what happens if I can get around the debris.  But I would at least test the waters on the treadmill and see how it goes.

heel striking while walking is completely natural, walk as you normally would even when wearing vffs and don't think about it too much; don't force anything that doesn't feel natural when walking.  It's the running where gait and foot placement become more of an issue.  You'll find that running in VFFs is very different and requires a much shorter stride length and quicker pace as well as a much lighter foot fall.  I suggest you start reading any barefoot running blog you can and watch any videos you can.  Barefoot Ken bob and the barefoot runners society are good places to start.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: