BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:05:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here train with a weighted vest?  (Read 618 times)
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

Just wanted to get some opinions training while wearing a weighted vest. I'm interested in adding it into my hill work and sprints. Thanks in advance for any experience you can share.

Rgs, Jeepman

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »

I have used various body weights during training (ankle, wrist, hand) but never a full vest.  Love adding the extra weight and would have gone with a vest by now if they weren't so pricey.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
munisano

munisano is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »

I don't have any experience with training with a weighted vest, but am interested in learning what you find out.  I'm just not sure adding additional weight to my frame and doing hill repeats would be too good on my joints and muscles.  I wonder because while I haven't used a weight vest, I have been doing a TON of extremely steep hill repeats; i.e. power line cuts, XC etc... to the tune of 15-22k feet of elevation gain per week (training for Barkley Marathons).  While I've trained with a pack with about the weight I expect to wear in the race (on occasion, typically on my longer outings) I don't think I'd like a weight vest unless it was just another way to get used to carrying the same load.  How much weight does one typically add? And does the supposed benefit outweigh (no pun intended) the risk of joint damage say versus just doing additional hill repeats w/o the vest?  In my case it made sense to just have elevation gain/week goals but if there was a benefit in substituting some of these workouts with fewer repeats but with a weighted vest I'd be interested.

Good luck!

munisano
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

I don't have any experience with training with a weighted vest, but am interested in learning what you find out.  I'm just not sure adding additional weight to my frame and doing hill repeats would be too good on my joints and muscles.  I wonder because while I haven't used a weight vest, I have been doing a TON of extremely steep hill repeats; i.e. power line cuts, XC etc... to the tune of 15-22k feet of elevation gain per week (training for Barkley Marathons).  While I've trained with a pack with about the weight I expect to wear in the race (on occasion, typically on my longer outings) I don't think I'd like a weight vest unless it was just another way to get used to carrying the same load.  How much weight does one typically add? And does the supposed benefit outweigh (no pun intended) the risk of joint damage say versus just doing additional hill repeats w/o the vest?  In my case it made sense to just have elevation gain/week goals but if there was a benefit in substituting some of these workouts with fewer repeats but with a weighted vest I'd be interested.

Good luck!

It's no different than weight training and lifting.  You add little by little to increase the load therefore strengthening your muscles.  I can be beneficial to those losing weight while running because as they get stronger, they are also losing weight.  So you can wear a vest to equal weight loss.  I have used weights for quicker hands (swinging), more arm strength, and better first steps.  Much the way you should train to run a 10k to be competitive in a 5k, I would train with extra weight over what you expect a pack to be.  If you become accustomed to running with 50lbs, when you add a 20lbs pack it will feel like nothing.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:06:40 PM »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: