BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 27, 2014, 07:00:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Poll
Question: whats the VFF model you'd recommend for first timers?
classic - 2 (6.3%)
komodosport - 6 (18.8%)
kso - 15 (46.9%)
bikilia - 5 (15.6%)
spyridon - 3 (9.4%)
other VFF/brand - 1 (3.1%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best VFF model for newbie?  (Read 1617 times)
mr cucaracho

mr cucaracho is a new face.

I should call myself mr. blister right now

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:25:12 AM »

Hello everyone!

After a couple of months going into this barefoot thing, and having some love/hate moments with my cheap skeletoes, I've decided to move on to the real thing. I'm planning to buy only one pair, since I'm short on cash

I'd like you to give me your advice on what would be the best pair of Five Fingers for first time users. Knowing that I already have some calluses thanks to my $40 Skeletoes 1.0 Tongue

To give you some background, I'll use them for my everyday running and for ocasional light/medium hiking. I have a narrow and slim feet.

So, what would be your ultimate advice for helping me choose my flashy new minimalistic shoes? Smiley

owns: Fila Skele-Toes 1.0
very soon to own a pair of VFF

I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. [Eddie Vedder]
« on: March 14, 2012, 01:25:12 AM »

Stefanie

Stefanie is a new face.

Keep moving!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »

Either the Spyridon or the Bikila LS.

Peep the following posts:

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/bikila-ls-a-good-starting-point/msg59483/?topicseen#msg59483

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/treksport-spyridon-or-bikila/

Watch out for TMTS!
Jaya&Jaya LR W39, Bikila&Bikila LS W38, KSO Trek(x2) W38, Classics W39, Classic Smartwool W39, Sprints W39, Lemings W39, VB Brookyn W39, VB Neo Trail W39, VB Kali W39, NB Minimus Zero W8.5, Classic Paillettes W39
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »

If you have narrow feet you may want to consider regular Bikila rather than the LS version.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

I vote for the Bikila. Although my preference is the LS, because of the lacing system. Im not a big fan of velcro.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:04:44 AM »

The KSO remains my favorite style and is extremely versatile.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
HappyHiker

HappyHiker is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:31:14 PM »

My favorite of my 6 pairs is my original Sprints, though I find that my KSOs are more versitile for year round and office wear.  I have found that both of these models have worn well and have great durability with one of the two pairs on my feet whenever I have to wear something for the last almost two years.  That being said if you are looking for something with a thicker sole (Some people don't like mountain hiking with the original sole) I have a Bikila and a Komodo Sport that I use exclusively for running or really cold days.  I prefer the Bikila overall except that they are less breathable and warmer in the summer.

I hope this helps and happy hiking!

Been wearing VFF for 6 years now, have worn out 4(two sprint, 2 KSOs) pairs currently have EL-X, Bikila, Komodo Sport and KSOs x 2.
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:49:07 AM »

VFF Speeds for me all the way - they are versatile because they look good for casual and street wear, and are also good for road running. I also find them much comfier to wear and due to the laces much quicker to put on than my KSO's!

I have a pair of white and blue speeds, but would love a dark blue or black pair too.

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
david

david is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 07:52:55 PM »

I started with the Skele-toes too then got a pair of KSO's which are a great pair to start with and are pretty much good for anything. I got the KSO treksports shortly after which I like even more and are much better for trail running but I think the KSO's are awesome too. you'll probably throw away your skele-toes or they wil just sit unused after the vibrams. thats how it was with me anyhow. I may give the skele-toes away. lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: