BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 01, 2014, 03:37:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Bikila notes...  (Read 33761 times)
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

I go barefoot, but my dog wears shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »

I've returned the last pair of Bikias I'll own for quite some time. I'm getting a refund instead of exchanging them. I'm so tired of the sole separation issues. I've gone through 3 pair and they've all failed. No more Bikilas for me until Vibram can confirm that they have solved the problem.

Rgs, Jeepman

Do you think it's a deisgn failure or a manufacturing defect? I wonder if someone's using inferior glue in the factories to save some $$$?
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2010, 05:57:14 AM »

Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »

Do you think it's a deisgn failure or a manufacturing defect? I wonder if someone's using inferior glue in the factories to save some $$$?

I'm pretty sure it is a manufacturing defect. The glue is just not holding up like it should. If they could find a better glue, or apply the current glue in a better manner than I think the problem would be fixed. Of course I believe if manufacturing was located in the U.S. it would be much easier to control quality issues. Long distance manufacturing has its shortfalls.

Rgs, Jeepman

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
petro62

petro62 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »

Hi I am new here and new to barefoot/minimalist running.   After reading a couple books and articles I decided to give Vibrams a chance even if just to help strengthen my foot.  Ever since I started training for my first marathon I was told I over-pronate and I needed this type of shoe and this insert to help the soreness in my arch and all that.  Well 2 marathons later and a visit to the foot doctor I have had enough.  I had just finished reading born to run and I was seeing more and more people wearing Vibrams.  Finally I saw the preview of the Bikilas and decided I would give those a try when they came out.

I just recently got my Bikilas and I love them.  I was quite nervous spending $90 on a pair of Vibrams with no experience in BF/minimalist running.  First thing I noticed was that they were very tight.  It took a bit of work to actually get them on and around my heel.  Once I got my foot in them they were pretty tight(especially on my pinky toe).  Being my first pair of Vibrams I knew they should fit like a tight glove, but I wasn't sure how tight.  So I was stuck between shipping them back and waiting a month or so for REI to get them back in stock or just see if the 41's got better after breaking them in.  I decided to give the 41's a chance since nothing was painful, just maybe the slightest bit uncomfortable.  I wore them around the house for a day and I could tell the top part was getting more comfortable, but the toes were still a bit tight(big and pinky), but nothing felt like it was in an unnatural position.  Since then I have went on a 1,3.5, 5 mile runs and felt great.  Running in these shoes does something that I can't describe.  I am not sure if I feel free or what it is, but running in these shoes makes me never want to think about putting on regular shoes again.  The only issues I have had so far are that my lower calf is sore from running in these, but I figure it is normal and will eventually go away.  The other thing is every once and awhile I feel like the bottom of my big toe is rubbing weird and trying to get a blister, but it comes and goes and so far after all 3 runs I have seen no sign of irritation when I take off my shoes.  Eventually I will save up some extra cash and get a pair of 42's but for now the 41's seem to work alright.  These shoes make me feel silly for spending all that money on fancy correction shoes and inserts and socks and so on.  Can't wait to build my mileage up on these.

Edit:
Sorry didn't mean this to be both an introduction , but I felt some back story may be needed to understand any issues I was having with the Bikila's
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 10:14:13 AM by petro62 » Logged
Hawkeye
Superstar

Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!Hawkeye has spent way too much time on birthday shoes!

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »

The only issues I have had so far are that my lower calf is sore from running in these, but I figure it is normal and will eventually go away.  The other thing is every once and awhile I feel like the bottom of my big toe is rubbing weird and trying to get a blister, but it comes and goes and so far after all 3 runs I have seen no sign of irritation when I take off my shoes.  Eventually I will save up some extra cash and get a pair of 42's but for now the 41's seem to work alright.  

Calf pain is normal. Blister is probably a form issue. Sizing up could cause more blisters as the shoe might be too loose. It sound like you have the right size, but double check your foot masurement against the sizing chart.
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »

praiano

praiano is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »

My Bikila's also seem crazy hard to get on. The length seems fine, it's just getting my foot through the fabric that sits on top of the foot. That fabric seems to come up pretty high on the shoe, and doesn't stretch very well in the pair I have, so it's a bit of a fight just to get my foot in. And as the shoe isn't as flexy as the classics, navigating my toes in seems more challenging.

Anyone else with this issue?

petro62

petro62 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2010, 06:15:51 AM »

I'm pretty sure it is a manufacturing defect. The glue is just not holding up like it should. If they could find a better glue, or apply the current glue in a better manner than I think the problem would be fixed. Of course I believe if manufacturing was located in the U.S. it would be much easier to control quality issues. Long distance manufacturing has its shortfalls.

Rgs, Jeepman

I just went for my fourth run in my Bikila's with a total of 10-13 miles put on them and I am seeing some of the same issues. The sole has separated on the side right at the ball of my foot(on the left foot) and on the right foot it has separated on the side at ball of my foot by pinky toe.  Right now it is on the side of my foot so it doesn't really cause an issue, but I am going to contact Vibram to let them know about the issue.  It is kind of a let down that you pay good money for these shoes and they start showing defects within a week.  Hopefully they wont get any worse and the problems just stays on the side of the shoe.
ems

ems is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »

Well, I've just got my long awaited bikila's. I'm really pissed off. Looking at them there is glue all over the sides of all the toes it looks like it has been very carelessly slapped on. So the toes were sticking together at the sides. The toes are also all bent up and twisted. Some of the rubber looks like it will not hold together for long.
This is discgraceful. I have kso's and classics and they are fine. I was so looking forward to running in the bikila. I don't know if it's worth returning and getting a replacement or simply getting a refund  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry. From what I have read on here, loads of the bikila are badly made.
Hawkeye
Superstar

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2010, 12:40:33 PM »

Well, I've just got my long awaited bikila's. I'm really pissed off. Looking at them there is glue all over the sides of all the toes it looks like it has been very carelessly slapped on. So the toes were sticking together at the sides. The toes are also all bent up and twisted. Some of the rubber looks like it will not hold together for long.
This is discgraceful. I have kso's and classics and they are fine. I was so looking forward to running in the bikila. I don't know if it's worth returning and getting a replacement or simply getting a refund  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry. From what I have read on here, loads of the bikila are badly made.

Get the refund. It will save you the trouble of returning mulitple pairs of defective bikilas.
gutsa

gutsa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »

Hello from Denmark,

I am new on the forum, and just ordered my first VFF on Friday, I will get them tomorrow, cant wait.
What a great side with everything about the VFF, I have been lurking around the last month.
THIS thread convinced me to buy the Bikilas instead of the KSO, as I want VFF for running, and primarily on asphalt.

Like so many others, I have had knee problems for the last 3 year, and therefore not done so much of running, until this summer when I changed my running style from heavy heel striker to forefoot, and I have also been doing some Barefoot running to correct my form.
These changes have enabled me to run longer without getting pain in the knees (only the burning sensation in the calves, which is although getting less severe).

I just hope I wont get defected shoe like so many others here.
UpNorth

UpNorth is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2010, 03:36:12 PM »

Welcome Gutsa.   I hope you get a good pair too.  I think there just must be off batches.   I've gotten lucky in that both my red/grey and green/grey pairs have been without defect.  They are great shoes.   My main caution is just to not let them get you carried away.  Mine made me want to run far and fast and I overdid it a bit.  Live and learn. 

Enjoy.

Laura
gutsa

gutsa is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2010, 08:53:28 AM »

Well now I have used mine Bikilas for one week, and I am very happy with them.

I dont think I am ever going to use my super cushioned Adidas ever again.

Im though having one problem that I have not seen discussed on the forum,
the bottom seams inside the pinky toes are huge, and they are causing blister on outer sides of my toes..
Is anyone familiar with this problem, or do I have a defect pair?
Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2010, 04:14:38 PM »

I now live happily wearing any of the following.

1. BFR
2. VFF 2 pairs of Bikilas
3. Terra Plana Aquas or Dharmas for work
4. Open flat sandals

Life is good when you are barefoot!  Grin

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

The Journey is  the reward...
fightcity

fightcity is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »

I got my bikilias a few months ago. During my first run I remember being so happy, I ended up running for 1hr none stop. Big mistake, the next 4 days were pain! I could barely walk. Things have gotten better sense then, I can now run in these shoes with no pain or problems. For example, yesterday for the first time in my life I ran for 2hrs and 27 minutes none stop.    Cheesy
My legs feel pretty tired today so it looks like ill box today and run/box tomorrow. Buying these shoes has made running so much more enjoyable and as a result my aerobic capacity is ever increasing, I couldn't be happier
keaster

keaster is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »

i know that these shoes are made for running/fittnes and i love mine, but i want to use them for other things like walking in the lake or light trail running will these stand up to this kind of use?
dannirr

dannirr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »

I'm new to minimalism (my wife would die laughing is she new I used that word to describe anything I do!), as well as resuming running after a 2 year break (knee pain, hip pain, the usual "remedies" of inserts and motion control shoes) - have been doing 3-5 miles per run in Bikilas 3-4 times a week. They are holding up just fine - no technical issues on the shoes, some calf pain for me that I intend to work through.

So, I like 'em.

Danni
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12
  Print  

Jump to: