BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 22, 2014, 07:06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bikilas or Sprints?  (Read 1684 times)
Hello0610

Hello0610 is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

Hello birthdayshoes world, I'm just looking for a little guidance on my decision. This will be my first pair of Vibrams (or minimalist shoes altogether), so I'm very excited.

I'm a high school runner, so my mileage is neither very low or high (maybe 35 miles on a high mileage week, for me). I've done a lot of research on minimalist shoes and decided that this summer would be a great time to start easing into running barefoot or with Vibrams. Most of the running i do all year is on roads, however i do some trail running during the summer and fall (for cross country). I will be using my Vibrams for training and not racing (hopefully I'll get some racing flats for cross country meets).

With that said, do you think I should purchase the Bikilas or Sprints? I understand that the Bikilas are specifically made for running, but if the point of Vibrams is to run with as little on our feet as possible, why not get the Sprints? On the other hand, I love the design of the Bikilas. But i do like the fact that I can by Sprints for much less.

What do you think? Any opinions would help a lot. Thanks!
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »

It really is personal preference: whether you want the top to be open or not, the look, the price, the ground feel. For what you want to do, they both work, except the Bikila will have more traction on trails. Personally I have both, but I am not interested in running in my Sprints, I feel the Bikilas are really meant for it, but others who prefer better ground feel will tell you the opposite.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
vffjeeper04

vffjeeper04 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

I like running in my speeds (same sole as the bikila) more than my classics or Flows.

VFF's: M42 Classics (Walnut/Brown), M41 Flows (Black), M41 Speeds (Black and white), M41 KSO Treks (Black)
Non VFF's: Barefeet, NB Minimus MB10, Inov8 Evoskin M (Smoke)
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »

Ive ran in my flow treks, komodos, sprints and kso's and always seem to go back to the sprints and kso's only really use the flow treks for winter running or adventure sports where im ina dn out of the water. So as the others say its really going to be down to personal choice but id probably say sprints.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »

dirkverelst

dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.dirkverelst is well known.

Healing our environment with orgonite.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 09:18:05 AM »

They are quit different shoes, so choosing for the one or the other should be easy. The Bikila's are much more padded, and thus offer more 'protection'.  Coming from regular running shoes it is still a big  'step' in the barefoot direction. Sprints are much more barefoot, and can be worn also when not running. I almost never wear my Bikila's for casual occasions, though some color options/ls might be possible.
I'ld pick Sprints for my first pair personally.
equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »

Sprints are much more barefoot, and can be worn also when not running. I almost never wear my Bikila's for casual occasions, though some color options/ls might be possible.
I commonly see people wearing Bikila LS as casual footwear, while I almost never see people wearing Sprints as casual footwear. I see (non-lace) Bikila about as often as Sprints for casual wear.

The closed top shoes, like the Bikila and the Bikila LS, seem to hold onto water longer than the open top ones, like the Sprints. If you just have one pair and may need to wash and then use them again soon, this may be a concern.

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 10:53:07 AM »

As others have indicated, it is going to come down to personal preference more than anything.  If you are going to do a lot of trail running, the Bikila might be a better option.  I do not have the Bikila, but I do have the Speeds which are on the same sole.  I think they would be a good all around option.  If you are really looking for minimal and ground feel, then the Sprints are the clear choice. 

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
Hello0610

Hello0610 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »

Alright, thanks for the input guys. This will definitely help. And luckily with Vibrams, you really can't go wrong.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »

I'd reccomend the sprints as well. I just recently gave up on my unlaced Bikilas for two reasons. For one, the material and sock liner was way too hot. Even after a short walk, my feet would be drenched. I could barely use them in the summer for that reason. Secondly, I found my left Achilles would always get blisters from the way the heel cup fit. They were the right size, my toes went to the end of the toe pockets without being scrunched. My right foot was fine, but I couldn't deal with the heel rubbing on the left. Even body glide wouldn't help. It was weird.

If you go with the Bikila, get the LS version, as the material is a lot thinner and breathable. I'd still reccomend the sprints. I love running in sandals, and those are pretty close with the open top. I also love the classic sole, great ground feel!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
AngieBee

AngieBee is a new face.

Barefoot Angie Bee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 05:05:08 PM »

I say go barefoot for the summer and only add in either SeeYas or Sprints when you have to!

Don't Panic.
qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »

Why not KSO? They'll "keep stuff out" when you're running on trails. Also see that this is N older thread, so maybe you've already decided.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
jackbnimble

jackbnimble is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »

The KSO's are the sprints with a meshy cover on top, and cost 50$ more.

i thought the bikilas were too much protection for a natural feel, so i got the sprints because they were on sale and they also were the most close to the ground feel of other VFFs. 

"The more you know, the less you need"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: