BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 16, 2014, 09:06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Budget Minimalist Shoes for Work  (Read 2330 times)
slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »

Hi all. I need a budget priced minimalist shoe to wear to work. I work at Lowes and spend 8-12 hours a day walking quickly over hard concrete/cement floors. The shoes need to appear as normal as possible and must look good with khaki shorts as well as jeans. I prefer a classic looking canvas type shoe over something flashy that looks like your average running shoe. They also must be very light.

I tried wearing Chuck Taylors and get some degree of foot pain as well as pretty nasty callouses on the balls of my feet. The callous on my right foot (ball of foot) quickly becomes painful if I don't shave/file it down regularly. I don't know why I get the callouses, but I attribute the foot pain the the fact that these shoes really aren't all that flexible.

I also tried wearing some cheap Kung Fu slippers. Though on the ugly side, these worked out O.K. The problem I had with these is the tread work off very quickly and they became dangerously slippery.

What can you recommend for me?
« on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:49 AM »

BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:35:53 AM »

What is your budget? 

Vivobarefoot has some okay shoes.  They can be found cheap on flash sale sites like LeftLane Sports.

Otz has some pretty good shoes as well. 

It depends on what your budget is really.

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »

A former coworker of mine wore Sanuks whenever he was not wearing his KSOs.  They are not terribly expensive.  Most pair of canvas style can be picked up for around $60.  I doubt they "qualify" as a minimalist shoe, but they are worth looking into.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
slyblackdragon

slyblackdragon is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »

Honestly my budget is the cheaper the better. If I could find something like the Vivo Dylans for like 60 bucks or so that would be great. I just wish minimalist shoes came with an equally minimal price tag.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »

CaliSelkie

CaliSelkie is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »

I just wish minimalist shoes came with an equally minimal price tag.
You and me both.   Sad
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »

My advice would be to watch places like Amazon like a hawk for price reductions - I've bought three out of my four pairs of Vivobarefoots for half the retail price (and they are genuine) Also Ebay is a possibility - try the shoes on for size in a nearby store first to get a good fit - if you're going for Vibrams then read up on how to spot fakes. Buying them used or second-hand also helps with the price.

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: