BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 28, 2014, 06:29:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: first race--advice?  (Read 903 times)
taylordmd

taylordmd is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:18 PM »

I'm running my first race on Thursday, a 10k, and going to do it in my KSO's.  I'm starting to get nervous about it, as I don't know what to expect.  I've run 9k and 9.4k in the past 2 weeks, so I know I can do the distance, but I'd like to do it in a respectable time and not stand out as a newbie who doesn't know what I'm doing!  I looked through pics from a previous year's race, so I know that some people wore headphones, but is it generally acceptable to have music during a race?  Do people take walk breaks during races or should I try to run straight through? (I know I can run through, but think I can do it faster if I take walk breaks now and then)  Based on my other runs, I would have finished 10k in about 1:07. Should I pace myself to aim for that, or what's a reasonable time to expect from myself?  I have a garmin 305, so I'm thinking of using the virtual partner to help pace myself. I'm just not sure what to expect!
Thanks for letting me get out some pre-race jitters!
« on: June 26, 2010, 03:21:18 PM »

bina

bina is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »

Expect the adrenaline to take over and you will probably go out a lot faster than usual.  Key is to not overexert yourself in the first couple of miles.  Pacing yourself with the Garmin is a good idea but don't be a slave to it, in other words if the pace feels good don't slow down just because it may be faster than your usual pace.  I would check with the race organizers to see if music is allowed.  Walking breaks are ok if you think they will help you.
Most importantly Have Fun!!  Grin

Bina
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 02:17:58 PM »

Rule number 1. Enjoy it.

Everything else, go with what feels right. I have done many 10ks and still walk now if the situation  requires it. Headphones. People do and very hard for organisers to police and prevent. They would prefer you not to if the race is on public roads.   Go steady in the opening miles. Paid dividends for me today. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38368640

Trust you  have done this sort of mileage in your kso's.

Jason

taylordmd

taylordmd is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »

Thanks, both of you. Yes, I've been running the distances in my KSO's, in fact I haven't run in conventional shoes since Mother's Day.  It's good to hear others' experiences, and I hope I can keep the adrenaline up for the whole hour! 
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 04:00:19 PM »

Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 12:11:14 AM »

I'll say the same thing I tell my son: Race your own race. Do not worry about anybody that passes you in the beginning or middle of the race. Once you are near the finish, if there is a race to be ran, you do it then. For a 10K, I'd say depending on how you feel start picking it up in the last mile and smoke the last 200M - 400M. My son has finished first in all his 5K races following these guidelines. He was 7 years old in his first 5K. He took first place in the 10 year old and under age group and was 51st overall out of 380 runners.

Try not to go out too quick. This is always the biggest and toughest mistake that is made by those new to racing. I remember my son's first 5K when he went out too quick. His first mile was a 7:15, his second 7:35, and he ended up having to walk for about 200M and then started into his finish with 1/2 mile left. His last 1.1 mile was a 9:30 because of the walking. He still finished in 24:20. The little sucker got me by 2 seconds in that race. It was fun, and he has learned something new from every race.

Rgs, Jeepman

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
taylordmd

taylordmd is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 12:13:12 PM »

Well, the race went well. I just typed out a big race report and bumped something that made it disappear, so now you get the short version!

It was a beautiful day, I wasn't feeling well before hand but once we started running I felt great, my feet felt great in my KSO's, I finished in 1:01:41, well under my goal of 1:05, and got lots of questions about the Vibrams!  My hubby wore his bikilas and loved them, finishing in 49:20, and there was one other guy in bikilas too.  I didn't have to worry about starting too fast as the start was so congested that I couldn't even open up till about half a km in.  All in all it went really well, and I'm looking forward to training for a half now! Thanks for all of your advice before hand!
bina

bina is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 11:58:06 AM »

Congrats on a great race  Smiley  What half do you plan on running?

Bina
taylordmd

taylordmd is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 03:42:07 PM »

Thanks, I'm planning to run the flatlanders road race in Regina on Oct 2.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: