BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 21, 2014, 06:19:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back in shape  (Read 3580 times)
valyn85

valyn85 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »

I'm on runkeeper on my android, I think its available for the iphone.  You can have it auto post your workouts to facebook, that way you can have your friends and family keep you honest.  My name on there is valyn85 if anyone wants to friend me.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:36 PM »

Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:54 PM »

I embarked on a fitness journey exactly one year ago. I had gotten involved in Jiu Jitsu about a year earlier and lost some weight from 210 to where i was fluctuating between around 200 and 195  (I'm also 6'1). When i decided to run a Tough Mudder I added running to my work outs, and also changed my diet. I covered all this in the thread i started about my Mud run experiences

http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/barefoot-activities/thinking-about-running-a-tough-mudder-thoughts-from-someone-who-just-did/

When I got started I had a wellness assessment done. That was one year ago on Feb 23rd 2011. Wednesday Feb 22 2012 I had a second wellness assessment done

here is a chart I made to demonstrate the differences in my numbers.

Weight down 23lbs
blood pressure down 8pts
body composition (body fat) cut nearly in half- with a huge chunk gone off my belly where men over 30 have a hard time losing (I'm 36). I do not do crunches, or situps other than when I actually sit up.
VO2 Max (cardio) is up 15 pts

That is the difference a year can make in numbers- and let me tell you I LOVE the body I live in today. my Metabolism works better, I don't get sick, and I can run for several miles non-stop and recover very quickly.

here is a visual- this is me in August 2010, and again in Nov 2011

My advice? If you REALLY want to change your life, you have to change your lifestyle. Go see a doctor, or a trainer and get a baseline assessment of your physical health. Figure out how to diet- for me it was all about content- Protein (60%), Carbs (25%) and Fats (15%) then consumption (1700 calories per day) vs. burn (2700 calories per day). Become a label reader when it comes to food- if you can't get the nutritional info right on the spot, don't eat it. ex McDonalds wants you to go online to get the nutritional content of their food- that says to me that they are hiding something so I quit eating that stuff.  Make an effort to get out and get your heart rate up every day. This is what i did. No tricks, no magic bullets, just discipline and perseverance.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey.

P

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:43:06 PM by Cheese » Logged

Saying "5716 People entered a race, and I beat 5021 of them" is way cooler than telling people you came in 695th"
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:24 PM »

Also I started out my run training using Couch to 10K. It was a little remedial for me, and i outpaced it pretty quickly but it was definitly a good way to get started.

I'm on Nike+ now running the shoe sensor in a nathan pocket (attaches to my Vibrams) and my iPod Nano Touch. I also have Nike+ app on my iPhone, but the phone is bulky to carry on runs, and i get pissed when people call me while I'm running.

P

Saying "5716 People entered a race, and I beat 5021 of them" is way cooler than telling people you came in 695th"
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

Awesome results!  COngrats!  I know the feeling.  In January 2009 I weighed in at 265, I am at 195 now and just embarking on my running journey hoping to drop more and get in even better shape.  It is an amazing thing to go back and look at old pictures and compare to what I used to look like.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:05:40 PM »

MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 05:53:27 PM »

cheese, before/after waist/chest?

Trek LS Brown 45... Speed black/white 46... Flow black 45... KSO REMIX 45... Bikila white/red 45... KSO trek brown 45... Komodo yellow 45... 1 Black and 1 Brown bormio's 45... Green Spyridon 45...  Yellow/Blk SeeYa 45
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2012, 06:31:18 PM »

cheese, before/after waist/chest?

I never took those measurements, I just went by what the trainer in my companies fitness center gave me. Those are the stats I posted. she used a caliper to measure the body fat on my chest, belly, and thigh and that is how she came to my total body composition number.

I can say I was wearing size 36 jeans comfortably when i was at my biggest- those fall off me now, and look weird even with a belt. On Saturday i bought a new pair of jeans, the waist is 31. The thing about using the waist size on my jeans is that they aren't ever accurate as an actual measurement, but it gives you an idea. Over the last 2 years I've lost 38lbs with just Diet, 1 hr Jiu Jitsu classes 2-3 X per week, and running.

I should also add that on the advice of one of the pro-fighters I train with I switched to a vegetarian diet on Jan 1st. That is where the last 5 lbs came off. I'm still keeping up with my content numbers though, watching those percentages. It just seems like I digest and burn veggie protein more efficiently than meat sourced protein. I'm not a hard core vegan or anything, but cutting meat, and most dairy out of my daily diet does seem to have it's benefits. I guess that makes my forum nickname a bit ironic...

MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »

2-7-12 276.5
2-18-12 266.9
2-26-12 263.6

Trek LS Brown 45... Speed black/white 46... Flow black 45... KSO REMIX 45... Bikila white/red 45... KSO trek brown 45... Komodo yellow 45... 1 Black and 1 Brown bormio's 45... Green Spyridon 45...  Yellow/Blk SeeYa 45
Rick

Rick is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »

Congrats Cheese! I hope that you keep it up!

Too many people want to lose weight or fat without actually moving and it simply cannot be done in spite of what all of the diet books say. Your story shows the right way!
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »

Congrats Cheese, however I don't know how you were able to sustain 1700 Cal a day being an active big guy. I am a 140 lbs girl and I can't go under 1800-1900 a day without starving. I am also a vegetarian and I would struggle if I tried to get 60% protein. What do you eat on a typical day to reach that amount?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:04:50 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:00 PM »

My advice? If you REALLY want to change your life, you have to change your lifestyle. Go see a doctor, or a trainer and get a baseline assessment of your physical health. Figure out how to diet- for me it was all about content- Protein (60%), Carbs (25%) and Fats (15%) then consumption (1700 calories per day) vs. burn (2700 calories per day). Become a label reader when it comes to food- if you can't get the nutritional info right on the spot, don't eat it. ex McDonalds wants you to go online to get the nutritional content of their food- that says to me that they are hiding something so I quit eating that stuff.  

Any chance you read Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet which recommends 65% fat, 15% protein, 20% carb by calorie (not by weight/amount) ? It says fats are the most efficient and that we ought to get 50-70% of calories from healthy fats (think omega 3s from fatty fish, coconut oil/palm oil, olive oil, grassfed butter, avocados). (see http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?page_id=8)

Supposedly the reason not to overload on protein is because it leads to ammonia poisoning.

Most people in Crossfit are eating paleo and either going on ketogenic fasts or going high fat/low carb. Basically, the latest research is that the lipid hypothesis is wrong (i.e. the old idea that fats make you fat) and fat is from carbs, toxic oils such as corn and canola oil that increase oxidation / free radicals, and insulin resistance due to liver damage.

MP: I was very surprised when I started delving into that. The big message from nutrition science and public health since the 1970s has been that the great dietary evil is fat — saturated fat in particular. In the years since, this hypothesis has gradually melted away. There are still people who think that saturated fats are a problem because they do raise bad cholesterol, but they also raise good cholesterol. But there are very few people left who think that dietary cholesterol is a problem. There is a link between saturated fat and cholesterol in the blood. There is a link between cholesterol in the blood and heart disease. But the proof that saturated fat leads to heart disease in a causal way is very tenuous. In one review of the literature I read, only two studies suggested that, and a great many more failed to find that link. Yet the public is still operating on this basis that we shouldn’t be eating cholesterol.

In fact, when the government decided to tell people to stop eating fat or cut down on saturated fat, the science was very thin then. But the net result of that public health campaign was to essentially get people off of saturated fat or try to get them onto trans fats, and we’ve since learned that that was really bad advice because the link between trans fats and heart disease is the strongest link we have of any fat to heart disease. They told us butter is evil and margarine is good, and it turned out to be the opposite.

You still see all these no cholesterol products and no saturated fat, and the American Heart Association is still bestowing its heart-healthy seal of approval to any products that get rid of fat no matter how many carbohydrates they contain. The science has moved on. The science now is much more curious about things like inflammation as a cause of heart disease and the fact that refined carbohydrates appear to increase inflammation and metabolic syndrome. These assaults on the insulin metabolism from refined carbohydrates are perhaps a culprit.

I was surprised at how few scientists would defend this lipid hypothesis as the great answer to the questions of diet and health. Nevertheless, they move on because scientists don’t stop and come out and say, “You know, we were really all wrong about that.” They just keep moving forward. That’s the way science should work. But there should be a big disclaimer saying, “Wait till we figure this all out before you change the way you eat and before the government issues proclamations.”

http://michaelpollan.com/interviews/michael-pollan-debunks-food-myths/

There's a ton of media out there trying to expose the "lipid hypothesis", including movies like "Fat Head", books like "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes, "Wheat Belly" by William Davis,  etc. There's whole organizations devoted to refuting the claims: The International Network of Cholesterol Skeptics, Western A. Price Foundation, Ancestral  Health, etc.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio
http://www.menshealth.com/health/saturated-fat
http://www.nutritiopedia.com/2011/06/about-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol/
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/cardiovascular-disease/saturated-fat-and-heart-disease-studies-old-and-new/
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/the-importance-of-fat/
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52960
http://chriskresser.com/the-saturated-fat-myth-debunked-in-two-minutes-and-thirty-five-seconds
http://realfoodblog.com/health/the-low-fat-craze-may-be-on-the-way-out/
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/
http://www.gnolls.org/1086/the-lipid-hypothesis-has-officially-failed-part-1-of-many/
http://www.realfoodfreaks.com/2011/11/08/big-fat-lies-part-2-the-bad-fats/
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/559885/posts
http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/skinny-on-fats

Carbs at 300+ calories is danger according to Mark Sisson (15% of 2000 calories): http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/
Grains are worse: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grains-are-unhealthy/

Personal anecdote:
I noticed when I was under stress and eating more carbs , more grains, less vegetables, more vegetable oils than fish I was gaining mid-section fat (which I completely lost in less than a week) and feeling like crap . Then again I'm in a different boat from most people: I've been underweight since forever, eat fish close to daily, travel at least 1.5 miles a day, and have a fast metabolism.

If eating fat makes you fat, then I would be 500 pounds because I usually have eggs in the morning (~60% fat), and multiple helpings of fish, beef/pork/chicken/seafood.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:40:16 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »

2-7-12 276.5
2-18-12 266.9
2-26-12 263.6
2-28-12 263

i weigh myself every day when i get up and after i use the bathroom. it goes up and down. and I'm not motivated by the positive or negative results on the scale. it is simply a measurement.

Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:30 AM »

Congrats Cheese, however I don't know how you were able to sustain 1700 Cal a day being an active big guy. I am a 140 lbs girl and I can't go under 1800-1900 a day without starving. I am also a vegetarian and I would struggle if I tried to get 40% protein. What do you eat on a typical day to reach that amount?

Remember, I'm Vegetarian now, but for most of the process I was still a meatasaurus. I ate a lot of buffalo, and chicken during that time- keeping it lean, but with raised levels of protein. When I ate eggs they were egg whites only, and then lots of different beans with whole grain rice. Most days it was very difficult to make it to 1700 calories, but achieving the 1000 calorie deficit was never hard. I train jiu jitsu 3 and sometimes 4 times a week, put on milage on the track, or treadmill. It really wasn't that hard to accomplish. I tracked the burn using a bodybugg.

Now that I am a vegetarian my diet changes from day to day, but i usually start with a shake that includes enhanced protein (Max Muscle), fruits and almond milk. Everything I eat is either veggies and tofu, boca burgers, and if it is on bread then that bread is whole grain.  I do not track using the bugg anymore, I don't need to. I surely don' want to lose any more weight. In fact, I'm working on putting on a few lbs of muscle as I am now training for Triathlon as well as Tough Mudder and possibly World Toughest Mudder (if I can raise the funds).

P

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 11:25:57 AM »

Congrats Cheese, however I don't know how you were able to sustain 1700 Cal a day being an active big guy. I am a 140 lbs girl and I can't go under 1800-1900 a day without starving. I am also a vegetarian and I would struggle if I tried to get 40% protein. What do you eat on a typical day to reach that amount?

Like anything else, there is a level of training involved in cutting your diet.  You have to reteach your body.  When I did my big weight loss I was a 265lbs guy and I taught my body to adjust to a 1800 calorie diet while still going to the gym and playing softball and baseball.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 11:42:31 AM »

My advice? If you REALLY want to change your life, you have to change your lifestyle. Go see a doctor, or a trainer and get a baseline assessment of your physical health. Figure out how to diet- for me it was all about content- Protein (60%), Carbs (25%) and Fats (15%) then consumption (1700 calories per day) vs. burn (2700 calories per day). Become a label reader when it comes to food- if you can't get the nutritional info right on the spot, don't eat it. ex McDonalds wants you to go online to get the nutritional content of their food- that says to me that they are hiding something so I quit eating that stuff.  

Any chance you read Jaminet's Perfect Health Diet which recommends 65% fat, 15% protein, 20% carb by calorie (not by weight/amount) ?

Nope, not a chance of that.  Grin

When I embarked on this journey my Jiu Jitsu academy had partnered with a local nutrition vendor (Max Muscle) I went in to talk to the nutritionist there and we created a food-plan and supplement plan to meet my needs. I then met with my Sports Doc to get a physical- he took bloodwork, gave me the cursory check out, and ok'd my nutrition plan. I then went to the trainer at my gym, and she did the baseline wellness assessment.

After that I set out to eat 1700 calories a day trying to stay on my protein/carbs/fats percentages, and burn 2700 calories with activity. I wore a bodybugg, and used their software on an iphone app to track the foods I ate by entering the values from the lables (considering serving size using a digital scale that rode around with me in my messenger bag) the software matched up my intake to my burn on a day to day basis. I could also view results on a monthly basis. Once i hit my goals I was pretty well adapted to understanding what i could or couldn't eat to maintain my fitness, at which point I quit formally tracking and switched to the methodology I use now. I maintained 178lbs like that through Jan, then I switched to a vegetarian diet, and lost the last 5lbs. I've been maintaining 172 / 173 lbs ever since.

As for energy: Mondays and Wednesdays I am in Jiu Jitsu for 90 min, Tuesdays and Thursdays I run 5k, Saturdays I do 150min of Jiu Jitsu, and Sundays it's another 5k. I plan to shift 2 of the runs up to 10k in the near future, and I start swinm training for triathlon on March 17th.

This has worked very well for me, as i have not only lost weight, but also improved my cardio vascular health. I'm not sure where eating a bunch of fat calories would accomplish the same.

For me, losing weight is a health goal- I want to live better, stronger and longer (Ive got a little girl I'd like to see grow up) So I'm trying to improve the overall.

P
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:03:19 PM by Cheese » Logged

MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 09:10:19 AM »

2-7-12 276.5
2-18-12 266.9
2-26-12 263.6
2-28-12 263
3-6-12 257.5

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: