BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 20, 2014, 03:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting your Mind in Shape....  (Read 503 times)
Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »

Good advice for getting into thinking positively?

http://therunningbug.co.uk/training/training-for-beginners/b/weblog/archive/2012/06/22/beginner-runners-5-ways-to-get-your-mind-in-shape.aspx

Thoughts are definitely the greatest challenge, in my experience. Any other mental techniques others find helpful?

Rain really puts me off, I wanted to go out for a run this morning, but it was torrential outside when I was having breakfast, then inertia set in.... so I didn't go for a run at all today.  Undecided

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
« on: August 05, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:42:57 PM »

Humm, inertia, tell me about it, watching the olympics tends to do that to me.

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 08:30:27 PM »

There are some days where the only way to settle my mind after a long day's work is to go for a run.  Other days, like today, where the sinus headache beats down and makes your head feel like it's in a vise ... that I have to do the wise thing and stay indoors.

Here's an interesting quote:

“Ninety percent of the training for the race is in your head,” said John Foden when we had sat down over lunch to talk about his experience of the Spartathlon. “The legs are much easier to train—just put in the miles. The mind is more complicated.” It either has to be subjugated to the will or cast adrift from the body.

Harvie, Robin (2011-04-26). The Lure of Long Distances: Why We Run (Kindle Locations 824-826). Perseus Books Group. Kindle Edition.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
toesstoutdownyesfingers

toesstoutdownyesfingers is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

I got in the habit of running at the same time everyday.  Now it's just a part of my daily routine, rain or shine.  I've also incorporated some vispassana mediation into my runs.  Simply enough, clear your head and focus on one thing.  I like to concentrate on my breathing.  As thoughts begin to come into your mind, acknowledge them and push them out.

M43 Komodosport LS Castle Rock/Navy/Grey
M43 Bikila Royal Blue/Black/Grey
M43 TrekSport Black/Charcoal
M43 Classics Black
M44.5 Merrell Road Glove Twilight
M44.5 Merrell Bare Access Black/Gecko
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

Sablewings

Sablewings is starting to look familiar.Sablewings is starting to look familiar.

Sablewings

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:30 AM »

Humm, inertia, tell me about it, watching the olympics tends to do that to me.

Maybe that's my problem too. Well, lately....I've been watching so much sport this week!
I went out for another run last night though, and played a bit of tennis, so don't feel so guilty today. Wink

“Ninety percent of the training for the race is in your head,”

I can well believe it.

Guy on a busy Tube Train staring at my VFF's:   "You wearing those things down here, eh... [shakes head]  Don't you know this is a place of tranquility?"

~~VFF Speeds White~~VFF Speeds Black~~Vivobarefoot Lucy Black and Blue/Grey~~Vivobarefoot Aqua Lites Red~~Vivobarefoot Neo Trail Black~~
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: