BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 21, 2014, 10:07:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Going to back to conventional shoes from VFF  (Read 999 times)
csnyder

csnyder is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

I have been running in VFFs for about 4 years and have loved them.  I am getting more serious about running and want to move to a minimal shoe that provides just a bit of cushioning for the increased miles.  The problem I have now it that conventional shoes don't fit anymore.  Almost every pair is either too tight in the toe box (here) or gives a sharp pain just in front of my heel, on the outside of my right foot (here).

Has anyone had this issue?  How did you get past it?

At the moment, I am thinking about finding the most comfortable and just breaking my feet back in to conventional shoes.

So far I have tried the following shoes:

Entire Altra line (too tight in toe box)
Entire Minimus line, both zeros and the 10 series.  Have a Run Zero in 2E on order to try those. (pain in front of heel or instep too tight)
Vivo Evos (toe box)
Mizuno Wave Universe (narrow)
Asics Piranha (narrow)
Merrel Glove series (instep too tight)
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »

acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 07:46:03 PM »

Don't know what to tell you since Altras seem to be the widest thing available, have you tried the Minimus Zero Trail in 4E? Lemmings/Stem Footwear?

My feet are pretty wide and they seemed to be roomy in the toes.

You could also size up a half size (which is only 1/3 of an inch) ala Two River Treads recommendations for conventional shoes. Before VFFs I would size up a whole size (8.5 to 9.5) for width purposes.

There's a similar thread here: http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/birthdayshoes-com-general-discussion/is-there-any-shoe-that-will-not-constrict-my-toes-comparison-of-shoes/

For my Merrells, I had them widened at a cobbler. Perhaps you could do something similar with a local cobbler where you get a shoe that is as good as you can get and then modify it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:54:39 PM by acc » Logged

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:21:47 AM »

Have you tried the alternate lacing technique for the Altras?

http://www.altrazerodrop.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaticContentView?langId=-1&storeId=15151&catalogId=18952&pageTitle=Alternate+Lacing&pageName=AlternateLacing

That helped me get a little more room in the toebox area while using the Instinct and it actually helped a little bit while using the VivoBarefoot Evo IIs.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »

Yikes. If you find the toe box on the altras too narrow, I'm not sure what to say. They have the widest toe box I've ever worn in a mono-toe shoe. minimus trail zero in a 4E could be an option, but those are not going to provide much more cushioning (if any) than a bikila.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 07:14:57 PM »

Murraugh

Murraugh is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:41 PM »

I tried on the Altras and then the Stems, and I felt that the stems were a bit wider in the toe box.

Stems/Lemmings..... Awesome shoe BTW.

Koala3

Koala3 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »

What about those Skora shoes? They look pretty wide and seem to have lots of cushy in them.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: