BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 21, 2014, 04:43:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: how long to get use to VFF?  (Read 1309 times)
WickedStyle

WickedStyle is a new face.

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

hi guys.

i just signed up to the boards but been creeping around for a bit. bought my komodos LS in april and was thinking about running in them for my first 1/2 marathon and tough mudder this pass may. im glad i didnt. ive decide to run in them in ernest. ive been runnin on the treadmill in them for a bit now and decide to run out side for the first time a couple of weeks ago. i usually run 6ish miles every other day with them the first 3ish miles are great with them..but usually on the run back home the pain starts. i have blisters within blisters. i figure the bottoms of my feet would toughen up by now.

anyways..how long did it take u guys to get used to VFF?

thanks!
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:48:38 PM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

6 miles seems like a lot if you have only been in VFFs for 2 months. 

I am not a runner, I just began wearing minimalist shoes nearly exclusively.  I had a little soreness after some long walks, but that was about it.  Since I do not run, I cannot attest to how long it would take to adapt to that.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
DanaRe

DanaRe is a new face.

I'm the one on the right

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:52:19 PM »

I have been wearing Komodos for working out (treadmill and strength training) since Jan 1st, and wear minimalist shoes exclusively.  I am 5 weeks into a couch to 5K program, and though I have no issues with blisters, I do still have sore/tired feet after a run.  I wake up to painful feet, as well, and though I don't have heel pain, I do stretches common in treating plantar fasciosis.

I do take extra rest days when my discomfort is more than minimal.  Perhaps you should take a week off and see if you improve?

Prov 14:1 - The wise woman builds her house, but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:26 AM »

Took me a good 18 months to complete the transition but that was from running half marathons and such anyway in marsh mallow shoes to vibrams and barefoot. My friend who i convinced to try vibrams who wasnt huge into running seemed to manage to transition fine in a couple months in fact it has just passed the year mark of him buying and training in his kso's and we have done two half marathons in that time. So really depends on the person but really really really need to listen to the body and no do TMTS or youll be out of action for longer than if youd taken it slow.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 06:55:26 AM »

barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:07 AM »

WAY TOO MUCH TO SOON.......  First, I don't consider myself a "runner".  Even being a barefooter all my life the 8 - 12 hours a day in shoes kept my feet weaker than I would have thought.  Walking in them was natural, running/jogging in them took many months before my feet were strong enough for pounding the pavement.  Honestly, I never got form right while wearing them because they still allow me to cheat when I get tired which is why I've kept to running barefoot.  That being said, a gent I work with is currently in a cast from not heading a similar warning.  He thought 6 months would be more than enough....   Within 2 months he was alternating 3-5 miles everyother day.  Month 3 he was doing 5+.  Month....  Oh yeah, he didn't make it to the next month.  Tried to go seven miles and had severe pain in his leg.  Backed off for a few days and he went for a run over our lunch break because he was feeling great.  He hobbled back in and soon after to the doctors where they informed him that he will be in a cast for the next 6-8 months due to a break in his femur and bruised bone marrow.....  So much for running his marathons or any of his other summer plans.   Don't rush it no matter how good you feel.....

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »

Just echoing what barefootin and vfftriathlete are saying.  Definitely ease off on the distance.  My first try with VFFs, I got injured after three months and was sidelined from running for two weeks.  After that, I did a seven months transition, only running in VFFs one day a week for short distances, then adding another day of running after two months, etc.

The best way to do it is "low and slow".  Low mileage and slow transition.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
WickedStyle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »

thanks for the heads up guys!

is that anyway to stop the blisters?!?! when i wear my VFF i usually go bare foot in them.
havent tried any socks in them yet. was wondering if socks would help slow down blisters?!?!

wats TMTS!?!?!? btw
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 04:12:01 PM by WickedStyle » Logged
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »

thanks for the heads up guys!

is that anyway to stop the blisters?!?! when i wear my VFF i usually go bare foot in them.
havent tried any socks in them yet. was wondering if socks would help slow down blisters?!?!

wats TMTS!?!?!? btw

The blisters could be that the VFF is too big for you sox may help with the fit. as for TMTS sorry for putting an acronym in it stands for To Much Too Soon
Kirin

Kirin is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »

I'm new to the barefoot thing and I did 4 laps of a running track 2 weeks ago in my new Treksports, a bike ride last week and a 5 mile trail run today.  No issues, pain, blisters etc whatsoever.  They are very snug though.
Joel S

Joel S is a new face.

Toe wigglin'

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »

I'm new to the barefoot thing and I did 4 laps of a running track 2 weeks ago in my new Treksports, a bike ride last week and a 5 mile trail run today.  No issues, pain, blisters etc whatsoever.  They are very snug though.

No blistering here, but my Bikila's are quite snug. I wear the noshow Injinji socks.
WickedStyle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 12:22:04 AM »

i was doing some springs today in my VFF today and thought bout this post. felt around my feet if they were a snug fit. i feel that they're pretty snug already..but i will totally try the socks. gonna buy them sometime this week and do my usualy run in them to see if they help
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: