BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 30, 2014, 07:57:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Forefoot Strike?  (Read 1650 times)
robestrong

robestrong is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »

As I've transitioned into 5 toe shoes almost entirely (except for work, where I need to wear more formal shoes), I've started to wonder if I'm running right. I always enjoyed running barefoot (literally, without shoes), but as my feet got blisters (despite callouses), I didn't do it very much. Additional note; I'm more of a sprinter than a long distance runner.

So basically for the last few days I've been running a lot more, with my new adipure trainers (I know, they're not vibrams, but they're quite close), and I've started to read more and be more concerned about how I run, now that I have a much more flexible shoe that I often forget I'm wearing. I know I must have done forefoot running before during my many barefoot runs, but I'm concerned that I may not be doing it right with my 5 toe shoes.

Since I learned about both evolution running and forefoot striking, I've been running farther and faster with less sore muscles and fewer (no) cramps, but again, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

So if anyone could succinctly explain how to do forefoot strikes, especially when starting out, it would be greatly appreciated.
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

If you do some running in place you might get a better feel for it.  Run in place for a bit and eventually, lean forward and run using the same form.  You can find more drills and hints in the POSE running books. Think of it as lifting your knee up, not striding forward.

I've also heard that if you keep your cadence at 180 per minute minimum, it will happen naturally. Not forefoot striking per se, but finding what works for you (either forefoot or midfoot).

Take this with a grain of salt as I'm not a coach, but just a runner who's been running this way for almost 2 years.

If you're really concerned about it, record your running and post it at some of the sites that will review it (Barefoot forum on runnersworld and pose running come to mind)

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Koala3

Koala3 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:45:26 AM »

I saw some of those Adipures in the store the other day, they are only similar to VFFs in that they have toe pockets.
The little I do run I land just slightly more on the ball of my foot then flat footed and with a little pronation, that is with or without my VFFs and no pain anywhere other than a little soreness in the calves.
Lyonel

Lyonel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »

You're running farther and faster with less sore muscles and no cramps, whats the problem?! Think you're doing just fine.

Bikila - Bikila LS (2x) - Bormio - Classic (2x) - Komodosport - Komodosport LS - KSO Trek (retired) - KSO Treksport - Trek LS (2x) - Seeya - Sorrento - Speed - Spyridon LS - KSO Remix - ElX

Adipure Lace Trainer-Original Luna ATS laces-LEMS Boulder Boot
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:48:07 AM »

robestrong

robestrong is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:04:41 PM »

Thanks PB, helped quite a bit. I think I got it down. I guess I was mostly anticipating that it would be a clear shift from front to back like heel walking/running, but really it's more just a matter of the forefoot hitting a little before the heel. I'm now thoroughly enjoying my shoes, and picking up my endurance.
PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »

Extremely informative video from Dr. Mark Cucuzzella, saw it posted on Barefoot Running Society earlier today.

Principles of Natural Running with Dr. Mark Cucuzzella

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:20:13 PM »

I agree, Patrick, that's a great video.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »

Not everyone runs the same, so you have to find what works for YOU.  Don't force a forefoot strike just because that's what you might have read about or what you think looks good.  If you're comfortable now, then stick with it. 

Personally, I always suggest people actually run barefoot for awhile during their transition.  It helps teach them the mechanics that work well for their own body, as well as prevents them from doing too much, too soon (delicate skin keeps you honest in the beginning!).  Given enough time, that good form is committed to muscle memory, and it's easy to continue in whatever footwear you like. 

acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:34 PM »

Excellent video.

It's one of the few modeling the muscles as springs and with a bumper thing as a illustration.

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
dredone

dredone is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

I don't think I could run like Dr. Mark Cucuzzella's Video.  Looks like he is taking long strides and then, of course, lands slightly on heel first.

I wouldn't argue with his style but my thought's when running are short steps, land on forefoot, lift with heel and let the opposite foot drop.  It works for my 40-50 mile/week.
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »

If you do some running in place you might get a better feel for it.  Run in place for a bit and eventually, lean forward and run using the same form.  You can find more drills and hints in the POSE running books. Think of it as lifting your knee up, not striding forward.

Close, but not exactly as stated in Pose Method. You actually don't actively lift your knee. You pull your ankle under your hip using the hamstring. The knee will naturally raise due to this, but you should not be actively using your hip flexors. Its all in the hamstrings.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »

I don't think I could run like Dr. Mark Cucuzzella's Video.  Looks like he is taking long strides and then, of course, lands slightly on heel first.

I wouldn't argue with his style but my thought's when running are short steps, land on forefoot, lift with heel and let the opposite foot drop.  It works for my 40-50 mile/week.

He isn't heel striking at all... he is landing practically flat footed, just slightly on the forefoot.  It is near simultaneous, many methods teach this way. If you watch him at 1:20 and again at 2:40 when it goes to slow motion you can see he is landing near flat footed and just out in front of the hips.  You definitely cannot heel strike barefoot.  Not at the pace and distances he runs
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:52:34 PM by JustinB » Logged

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
LadyRez

LadyRez is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:43 PM »

#Invalid YouTube Link#

This is great!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: