BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 01, 2014, 09:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get more INTO running...  (Read 882 times)
chelsbells26

chelsbells26 is a new face.

Vibram-lover, Vegetarian :) Runner!

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »

Huh Huh Huh I have been so frustrated lately. Last year I was a running-fool!! I couldn't stop! I loved every type of weather, terrain, everything!! But now, as of about 6 months ago I have been slacking like crazy. I have noticed that when I do run my endurance has significantly decreased.... I CAN'T STAND IT! So I have been trying to get myself back into it and stop being so lazy... but I have been failing miserably. I tried to motivate myself with a new pair of VFFs... which were much needed... and then I even tried by signing up for a 5K, which is coming up in October... Even that has not proved effective...

Suggestions anyone? I need it! I am getting soooo frustrated!!  Angry
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:35 AM »

equiraptor

equiraptor is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

Alternatively, try replacing the running with another activity?

I find specific activities become stale and feel like "work" to me very quickly. Changing activities helps me remain motivated. It also helps build more balanced muscle strength, which is more healthy. Currently, I'm bicycling, with just enough running to keep me able to run the 10k we'll be doing in late September (I ran 6.1 miles last Saturday with no soreness the next day!). Sometimes it's swimming, sometimes it's rollerblading. For the past many months, I've been doing Pilates, as well (one session a week).

Sprint Slate/Lichen W39 (first pair, too big), Jaya LR Almond/Copper W37, Bikila LS Black/Grey W37, SmartWool Classic Charcoal W39 (also roomy, but that's nice with the EcoStep sole), W38 KSO Trek Black
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:00 PM »

Sometimes something as simple as finding a new route or trail will help. You could try a reward system, like for so many days running, you get a new shirt or coffee or whatever. Or maybe make a deal to run for 5 minutes. More than likely, you'll go further and be glad you did.

If those options don't appeal to you, find a running buddy or running group. A lot of running shoe stores have group runs.

<-------- my running buddy.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
chelsbells26

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »

Awesome! Thanks everyone!! I would love to find a running group or buddy but there aren't many people around my area that I'm aware of, that like to run or run in a group.

I have been looking into getting myself a bike so that I can get back out there. I know once I get my endorphins back up and going I won't have an issue but right now I'm in a bit of a lazy slump and its driving me nuts.

I have tried a few different trails and environments... I get too bored too quickly... I mean I love running but you're right when you said it can start to feel like "work" or "boring"...

I guess I do just have to get out there and get active again. That would be the best way to go about it Smiley Thanks!!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »

chelsbells26

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:48:47 AM »

Went for a nice, short 1.5 mile jog this morning before work. It was awesome! I am starting to wake up easier early in the morning because I know I am getting out for a run and I can't wait to get going! Today was good but the time I had for a run was really short so I had to cut it short. I can feel my motivation coming back Smiley
barefootin

barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.barefootin is a regular 'round here.

My Sneakers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:35:46 AM »

Make your walks/runs more fun....  It's harder to do with something on those piggies, but try to enjoy your surroundings.  Try new routes and enjoy the new textures, sounds, and wildlife.  I find I go much further and have more fun if I'm not goal set on a time or distance.  I just go until my old body is done.  Somedays that may be a few hundred feet other times its miles.  If you see something in nature that catches your eye... take the time to slow down or stop and enjoy it even take a picture....  Since I'm normally bare, I love trying to guess the temperatures and textures of different surfaces.  I find keeping my mind off of the run itself makes it much less like a "chore" and keeps me "into" it.  Trail running also helps as you need to think about your next step and keeps your mind off of the run itself...... 

I prefer to do it bare... 
See or "Feel" the world before they blow it up or pave it over.
envirogirl48

envirogirl48 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »

Definitely run with other people. Listen to music that has the same beat as your pace. And maybe take a break from running--then you'll realize how much you missed it!
Vryce

Vryce is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:47:03 PM »

Maybe this will help...

Have you ever wondered how deep the oceans would be without all the sponges in them?
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 02:59:19 PM »

I find that if there are some trails around you, take advantage of them. If I'm going for a trail run, I find I get more excited about it than doing a run on the road. For whatever reason I feel more in tune with my surroundings, and I feel like I'm going faster since there are more turns, dips, and hills. Doing it in minimalist shoes helps because you get a feel for the different textures underfoot. I did an awesome route the other day in my Luna sandals, and I felt pretty 'tribal' through the whole thing. It was cool. Going again tonight!!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 04:38:32 PM »

Make it a barefoot run (from time to time, if you wish).

A nice trail + being barefoot + no music except for white noise (nature sounds) = good run and an endless addiction to running :-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: