BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 19, 2014, 12:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurt again... At my wits end  (Read 2062 times)
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »

I stayed in the 2130's for about 3 weeks. I then switched into Flows because it was winter time. I did the walk/run method for over two months. I landed very flat footed to spread the load across the most area. I then slowly worked into a mid/fore foot landing as I could tolerate it. I took it very easy and analyzed every little twitch my foot gave me. While I still had foot pain, it was the long lingering pain from the breaks, not fresh injuries from over doing it. It took me a while to learn the difference between being sore, and actually being hurt. It takes experience to learn this. I have no doubt you will develop the same self diagnosis skills. It still gives me some pain today, but it is only nagging pain. It doesn't hurt at all while running. It just doesn't like the cold, or being cold. The thing that happened with me is I had to dial back my planned schedule about 3 or 4 times. Its great to set goals to stay motivated, but you also must be smart. It is always faster to do it right the first time than doing it twice. Good luck with your recovery and hit me up if you think I can help you with anything.

Rgs, Jeepman

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »

qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 05:16:32 PM »

Update: so far so good. On week two of running, which means 1/2 mile every other day. Not much, but it's a start. In cushioned sneakers so far, and no pain. The bone feels pretty much 100%, even when I push on it with some force.

Only thing is, I don't like the cushioned shoes. They are heavy and have too much heel. I accept that I need some cushioning - for now at least, and maybe forever. That's ok. But I'd like a shoe that allows for a more natural feel even while having some cushioning. Considering the merrell bare access or altra instinct, but I don't know if those are enough for me. #1 goal has to be no more stress fractures! So maybe something like the kinvara, even though that's pretty thick.

Not sure yet, but suggestions welcome. Just happy to be pain free and running (even a very little bit!).

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »

Only thing is, I don't like the cushioned shoes. They are heavy and have too much heel. I accept that I need some cushioning - for now at least, and maybe forever. That's ok. But I'd like a shoe that allows for a more natural feel even while having some cushioning. Considering the merrell bare access or altra instinct, but I don't know if those are enough for me. #1 goal has to be no more stress fractures! So maybe something like the kinvara, even though that's pretty thick.

qcassidy, glad you're back in action!

I've been using the Altra Instinct for really long runs (13 - 15 miles) and on days when my feet need to recover.  It's got way too much cushioning for me.  My feet get all confused because I really can't feel the ground.  However, the zero drop of the Altra Instinct is, for me, a blessing in disguise because when I do run in them I can maintain that forefoot landing and just a slight touch of the heel.  It doesn't make my form regress back to when I was using regular running shoes.  The wide toebox is also a nice touch, especially if you have mutant wide feet like mine.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »

Glad you're able to get out again qcassidy.  Here are a some more options you might consider:

Saucony Hattori LS - available sometime this month, has zero drop and 15mm stack height (approx 5 ounces per shoe)(the non-laced version is 4.4 ounces per shoe):

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-SHTLCM1.html

Or if you want a little less stack height, the road glove has a 11 mm stack height (6.9 ounces per shoe):

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-MRGLM1.html

For reference sake, the Altra Instinct has a 16mm stack height (9 ounces per shoe):

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRS-ALTINBK.html

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 06:15:22 PM »

qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 07:59:38 PM »

Thanks guys. Smiley good to be starting again.

As far as the shoes go, my problem is that I don't know how much cushioning is enough. And yes I know many on this site would say the answer should be "zero," but I'm accepting, rightly or wrongly and at least for now, that I could use some cushioning. I think maybe the altras. 20mm with the support insole, and less with the strengthen or no insole. So I could adjust by the day or as my feet got stronger. But I just don't know - is that enough? Could I get away with something like the hattori? Or maybe I'd do better with even more, like the kinvara. I know it's not a minimal shoe, but the 4mm drop would be a lot better than what I'm using now, and it does have good cushioning.  I have a pair of road gloves and love them, but I think I need more than that. 10mm is a lot compared to a vff classic, but it's not really a cushioned shoe. There's just really no right answer I guess... Only trial and error. Unfortunately, I seem to have more error and less trial when it comes to this, so I don't want to get hurt again.

- Abraham Lincoln
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »

Good to hear you are back running again!

I'm with you about cushioning though. I'm of the opinion that if you can find something that helps with running, then it's the right call. Hopefully you can find that balance between cushioning, minimal-zero drop and comfortable. Hopefully you are back running longer distances soon!

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
qcassidy352

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 07:44:04 PM »

Thanks yeti! I hope so too.

- Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: