BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 10:59:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm new to VFF running, am I overdoing it?  (Read 800 times)
Thefrisbee

Thefrisbee is a new face.

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »

So I just got my first pair of VFF's about a week ago and I'm loving them. Perhaps too much though.

I've read the guide to starting out that the site provides so I'm a little leery to going full force, even though
It feels like I'm fine.

Before running in these I was maxing out around 1.5 miles, and now I can seem to get that fairly easily in the
five fingers. I know that it said to take it easy, and that it should take a good long while to work back up to
what you can run in shod shoes, but everything is looking good. My calves have been very slightly sore the day after
running before, but other than that nothing.

Basically I'm asking is it okay for me to continue gradually increasing my distance every week? Should I be noticing
something wrong if there is something, or could there be hidden injuries? Thanks!
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:13:20 PM »

taylordmd

taylordmd is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 04:56:16 PM »

I'd say if your previous running was only up to 1.5miles then you're probably fine, as long as you feel good.  They're mostly talking about people who typically run longer distances, that you have to work up to it.  You are at a definite advantage I think, because your VFF use and running in general can now progress at the same pace.  I had been running about 3 miles at a time when I got my VFF's, so I took 2 or 3 weeks to build up to using VFF's for that distance, and then I was able to pretty much stick with my VFF's as I progressed gradually over the past 4 months, to my current longest run of 12 miles.  Now I"m going to run my first half marathon, in my bikilas, in 2 weeks!  I think the ones who could run a half before they got their VFF's are a lot more likely to overdo it!
Enjoy your running!
kuo34

kuo34 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »

I used to run 9 miles a day, with breaks that lasted from 2 to 12 weeks due to injury.  I quit running very often to avoid injury, but I would do 6ish miles without worrying about the cardio part of it.  Ever since I switched to VFF, it's been great injury wise (non so far, knock on wood).  The hardest part is stopping at 2 miles and heading on back home.

You should be fine though.  It sounds like you're just starting to run, so your endurance and your feet are starting from a very good place.

Listen to your body and you'll be fine!
qcassidy352

qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.qcassidy352 is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »

taylor is right; you're at a distinct advantage if you were maxing out at 1.5 miles shod.

If you are wary of increasing every week, you can follow a plan that doesn't increase every week.  For example, a step approach (numbers are just illustrative): 10 miles, 12 miles, 14 miles, 12 miles, 14 miles, 16 miles, 14 miles, etc.  Or you could follow the "one easy in four" approach.  Have at least one off or at least pretty "easy" day in every four, have at least one easy week in every four, have at least one easy month in every four.  Of course, easy is relative; if you're at 100 miles/week, your "easy" week might be 70.

These are just examples of more conservative approaches than increasing every week.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet."
- Abraham Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »

Thefrisbee

Thefrisbee is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 08:19:33 PM »

Thanks soo much. I'm slipping them back on now and heading to the track. I've been wanting to run all day but I
figured I'd ask around first. Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: