BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 23, 2014, 05:58:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I've come full circle- back into "normal" shoes for running...  (Read 2320 times)
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »

These weren't directed at me, but

Is it necessary for you to "build cardio" while running?

Yes, the events I train for (Marathon, Triathlon, Various Mudders) require me to run for training. This is a much to build muscle strength as it is to build cardio- cycling and swimming are good too, but anyone who has gone from swimming to biking to running knows these activities have different ranges of motion.

Are you a professional runner? Do you need to run such and such distance? What is rushing you so much?  Wink

I am not a professional, but I am a pretty serious hobbyist. A very large part of my physical improvement over these past several years has been to push myself in training toward an event I want to complete.  Right now, I'm prepping for my first 1/2 marathon, with a full marathon distance on plan within the year. The 5k "limit" for pavement running in the VFFs is preventative to this goal. Also, I am getting older (37) and even though I strength train carefully, and watch my vitamin intake religiously- I still worry about injury. I've been a VFF runner for 2 years, and my form has changed radically in that time, but still if I run more than 5k on pavement in VFFs my feet hurt. Running on soft ground in the VFFs I've covered triple that distance- this causes me to believe that my form+VFFs+pavement= injury risk. I continue to work on my form, but I want to race a couple pavement races this year so I've switched to the Kinvaras (I've got 3 pairs now) and found they suit my form very well, while providing a little cushion that keeps my feet comfortable.

In the meantime, I am using my Komodos for crossfit, and loving them during the soft ground sprints (I run in the grass)

The older you're the longer it is going to take to rebuild your body. The more patient you need to be  Grin
Drinking milk, and eating some "white" cheese might help a little  Wink

LoL- I'm a vegetarian- BUT I do get those doses of Vitamin D and Calcium from alternative sources. Also, the older I am the longer it takes to heal, so giving my body a little extra shock relief seems like long term maintenance for my joints.

I realize there are lots of people here in particular who may feel I'm taking a shortcut, but if I was really interested in taking any sort of "easy way" then I'd still be on the couch playing COD instead of out doing work, and covering miles in whatever shoe I've chosen.

I'm a big believer in using the right tool for the job, and when it comes to pavement running, I think the right tool is the Kinvara. It is a choice, much like the choice i made to try those "weird toe shoes". When running on softer stuff, the VFFs are still at the top of the roster.

Saying "5716 People entered a race, and I beat 5021 of them" is way cooler than telling people you came in 695th"
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:43 AM »

Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »

That's it! Cheese has gone soft on us!  Grin

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »

I hope nobody is offended by my post (posted above).
We all are different, we live in different environments, countries, cities, even continents...

For me running is more like fun and a way to feel goooood & relaxed. I've never been a type of competing man, although I did race a little. I like to fight with myself, while being alone (ideally in forest). 
So maybe that is why I don't really care about all the cardio, timing stuff and serious training (with all those vitamin supplements, protein drinks, energy bars etc).
I do like long term (even extreme) activities but not fitness training - repeating exercises while watching TV Smiley

Yes shoe, is a tool and as such should be used with care  Wink   

About the age factor - I've discovered lately that although I fell like 20, I'm no longer 20, and my body isn't also 20 year old anymore Grin
Boy ageing is so stupid...  Smiley 

Take care :-)
Cheese

Cheese is a new face.

It's what I do.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »

That's it! Cheese has gone soft on us!  Grin

Grin Did a Murph yesterday (1 mile run, 100 pull ups / 200 pushups / 300 squats, 1 mile run) if that is "soft" then we have very different definitions of the word. This crossfit stuff is unbelievable...

@Klanger-

I was most definitely NOT offended nor do I take exception to any posts in this thread, or any other. I'm just a big mouth and like to drop my .02 into everything.

Aging is stupid, but I'm not ready to stop yet.  Grin

Saying "5716 People entered a race, and I beat 5021 of them" is way cooler than telling people you came in 695th"
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 06:29:51 PM »

klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:13:33 AM »

Cool. Just wanted to clear that up.

I had a thought right after waking up, it was certainly inspired by Ken Bob's book that I'm reading :-)

Training barefoot means that with each step you feel the ground, and it activates all your sole tissues and so on, it also means that blood with oxygen is rather quickly pumped through your feet, to transfer O2 to most needed part of your body - your working soles, and legs. More blood also means more nutrients...
This situation continues after you get to finish line, or your desired training distance. With more O2 and more nutrients your feet can recover more rapidly and you, as a runner feels less fatigued.

Just a thought, could be useful.

I'm reconciled with ageing since I'm a biologist (more or less), but it is so funny when your brain feels like 20, but your body not any more :-)
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »

I'm reconciled with ageing since I'm a biologist (more or less), but it is so funny when your brain feels like 20, but your body not any more :-)

Isn't that the truth. Only if I could have the body I had when I was 20, but also know what I know now.

Tarentaal

Tarentaal is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »

Isn't that the truth. Only if I could have the body I had when I was 20, but also know what I know now.

That's why coaches are old and gold medallists are young Smiley
Jeepman

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »

That's why coaches are old and gold medallists are young Smiley

This place is full of truths today.  Grin
The only trick is to get the young athletes to listen - LoL!

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: