BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 22, 2014, 11:02:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: I can't barefoot run  (Read 1783 times)
manny_deleon

manny_deleon is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »

I also noticed it helps to bend my knees and it seemed more natural the faster I ran.  Either way, I am doing walk/runs with them.  walk and then run for a bit and walk again.  I did two miles yesterday expecting sore calves and guess what, no sore calves.  Overall I am still having a hard time getting rid of that pesky heel strike.  but I have a few questions

one- does running slower change the way my foot impacts the ground...it seems more flat than either heel or ball of my foot.

two- does anyone lift weights in their VFFs?

three-is it ok, to wear my VFFs as an everyday shoe?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »

JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 09:48:13 PM »

I know when I walk, i strike flat foot or with a slight heel strike, so I imagine a slower run could do the same thing.

I do P90X in my VFF's and there are many that wear their VFF's to the gym.

I would bet that 99% of us on this forum wear our VFF's as everyday shoes.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 01:18:11 AM »

perhaps not running 'slower', but shortening your stride a bit will reduce heel strike and increase a more natural impact on the fore/midfoot. it feels slow but if you tried sprinting, you'll see you can go fast without long strides.  at least that's what i noticed.

bending knees helps me too, especially when i walk.  i tend to get lazy and just keep my legs straight but when i put a bend in my knees and cushion my walking strikes, it feels better.  i have a flat walk with a slight heel strike when walking too.

i don't have enough $$ to get an everyday VFF, but i would and have a bit in my komodos except they are yellow. super yellow so i'd rather not for the time being.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
bigtruckguy3500

bigtruckguy3500 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

To add to what I said earlier, about pushing off.  I noticed that when I get tired, my turnover rate slows down and I try to get more power out of each foot strike, and in order to do that I have to keep my foot on the ground longer and push on it all the way through to where I'm still pushing off after my foot is well behind me. 
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »

Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »

In addition, I am in the AF, who can really care less about barefoot running.

Wrong.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2011/10/air-force-almost-barefoot-running-100411w/
http://www.military.com/news/article/air-force-news/experts-teach-march-airmen-to-run-injuryfree.html

This guy is bringing barefoot running to the Air Force, and teaching both Airmen and our folks at the HAWCs to think different when it comes to running form and footwear.  His clinics include barefoot drills to help teach the barefoot technique.  It's slowly coming across the AF.

I always suggest doing a little barefoot training and drills to get the running form down.  I started in VFFs and thought "AWESOME! Now I'll never have to get my feet dirty!" but ran into issues months down the road because my running form was just a little off.  I'm assuming you're at Nellis?  There has to be a clean strip on concrete somewhere for you to try barefoot on.  It'll reinforce footstrike, lifting the feet, light landings, cadence, short strides, and help strengthen your feet.  If you're struggling with form, I know some barefoot training will help.  I swear by barefoot, and I don't mean VFFs.  But if you stick strictly with those, take it S-L-O-W to avoid overloading your feet.

manny_deleon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »

actually I'm at Creech.  until the AF actually makes some respectable policy concerning these shoes, I can only speculate that they are gonna be totally traditional in their views.  I think it's cool that you have some champions on your base.  What's cool so far is that they are letting us wear them, of course, we need to wear white socks, which blows my mind why that is even a factor.  but hey, this will no longer be an issue for me in six months.  I got a 1 may retirement date.  Its been a good 23+ years for this MSgt and I am ready to start the next phase of my life.  hopefully without any shin pain.

I hear you about slow.. I am one of about two dozen folks who wear VFFs at Creech and we all agree to take it slow and with extreme attention to our feet.  You got me intrigued, I am gonna ask the HAWC at Nellis to see what they got going on.

I wear my Speeds everyday. its been two weeks and I am still not confident to actually run a mile in them.  My calves seem to be getting stronger.  My Rottweiler loves it, because he gets to go on walks with me.

Peace
Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »

I think the point that I'm getting at is unless you're ONLY running during PT and thus have to wear PT gear, you do have options to train barefoot, and even in VFFs as well without the socks.  I am just not quite understanding your hang up here if you are able to run on your own time.  But either way, take it slow, and congrats on the retirement date.  I got a ways before I get there. 

acc

acc is starting to look familiar.acc is starting to look familiar.

YOU are the Technology

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 07:53:03 PM »

Lt. Col. Mark Cucuzzella was wearing Newtons, not VFFs. VFFs are more radically different than trainers.

Looking for sale /coupons at VFF/Injinji stores (authorized dealers only) Waiting for 3mm soled leather VFF oxford (not Capri) and KSO EVO.
Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »

http://barefootrunners.org/story/winning-air-force-marathon-natural-running-center-s-dr-mark-cucuzzella-bill-katovsky

He wears Newton flats, not your typical trainers.  They are Newton MV-2s, a 5oz, zero drop shoe.  Hardly that different from VFFs.  He also trains barefoot.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:40:46 PM by Go_Blue » Logged

manny_deleon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »

Actually it's good that the AF has some leaders who are promoting barefoot/minimalist running.  In time, I feel that the Physical Therapist who work for the AF will see these forms of running as therapy in promoting better health.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: