BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 17, 2014, 11:32:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Injury? yes/no  (Read 744 times)
david

david is a new face.

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »

I am about 2/12 months into running in fivefingers. I increased my distance last week. the problem I am having is my Achilles have a slight soreness only when i first wake up but it is very mild almost non existent but its there. this was last sunday when I ran last and I have been taking it easy with no running this week until I find more info but cant seem to get any real answers on the net. is that Achilles tendonitis? can I still run but just decrease my distance and take it easy with less hills or am I supposed to wait till the mild soreness is gone completely? I have never had this before so I don't know, so any help is appreciated since I don't know any runners but myself so I cant ask anyone local. haha. any help is appreciated.

cheers

-David
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »

It's hard to say for sure. I definitely suggest using a foam roller before and after running and maybe backing off the hills a bit. When I went to physical therapy for mine a couple of years ago, the therapist suggested active management. So running but taking it easy.  Check out this video, it really made a difference for me:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/effectiveness-of-calf-rolling-scott-hadley

Sorry I couldn't link directly but you'll find some good info at the runners world barefoot forum too.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »

I bought one of these:

http://www.roguefitness.com/the-stick.php

Whenever I get sore, i shorten my distances for the next couple of runs. It definitely isnt good to keep pushing that threshold because that will only get worse. But like PB Junkie said, it would be good to roll it before and after the runs.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
david

david is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »

I appreciate the replys  Smiley sounds like I should get a roller then and just take the transition a little slower. I know a place I can run thats pretty flat and no hills so I'll do that for a while and see what happens.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:42:44 PM »

klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 01:18:12 AM »

I use this thing as a roller:

The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 12:16:39 PM »

I use a rolling pin and it works great after a long run. Though my calves don't bother me at all anymore.

I'd like a rolling pin that comes with that dog! My parents have one that looks almost exactly like the one in that picture, and he loves to run. He makes a great running partner, and is a lot of fun to be around.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
rookhoe

rookhoe is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »

Ive used a rolling pin on my lower back after a good day of dead lifting at the gym. Yet, my wife really doesnt like it so I ordered that roller lol.

Furthest distance in VFF: 12 miles
Furthest distance in NB Zero Trail: 12 miles
VFF: KSO M43, Bikila LS M43
Non VFF: NB Minimus Zero Trail
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »

I use this thing as a roller:

What? You trained your dog to roll your muscles for you - SWEET!  Grin

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
HappyHiker

HappyHiker is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 08:53:34 PM »

Hi David,

I have had the same problem, I did a half marathon last year and then stopped running for a few weeks due to a hectic personal life, and when I went back I had to run predominantly on concrete and pavement instead of trail running.  Needless to say it hurt and I pushed and pushed and continued to get worse.

I took some time off again it coincided with a hectic personal life and started back on the new surface in January and have worked back up with limited to no pain at a 17km run today on almost all pavement/concrete.

So taking a break from running for a few days and being cautious and listening to your body may be what you need, however I have read this article on heel pain and it has some interesting studies and may apply in your case too.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/fitness/exercise/fitness-research/sore-achilles-things-have-to-get-worse-in-order-to-get-better/article2356976/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_content=2356976&service=mobile

I am not a doctor nor do I profess to being an expert but this looked like it was similar to what happened to me and you seem to be having identical symptoms too so thought I would share.

Happy Hiking!

Been wearing VFF for 6 years now, have worn out 4(two sprint, 2 KSOs) pairs currently have EL-X, Bikila, Komodo Sport and KSOs x 2.
david

david is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:30 AM »

Hi David,

I have had the same problem, I did a half marathon last year and then stopped running for a few weeks due to a hectic personal life, and when I went back I had to run predominantly on concrete and pavement instead of trail running.  Needless to say it hurt and I pushed and pushed and continued to get worse.

I took some time off again it coincided with a hectic personal life and started back on the new surface in January and have worked back up with limited to no pain at a 17km run today on almost all pavement/concrete.

So taking a break from running for a few days and being cautious and listening to your body may be what you need, however I have read this article on heel pain and it has some interesting studies and may apply in your case too.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/fitness/exercise/fitness-research/sore-achilles-things-have-to-get-worse-in-order-to-get-better/article2356976/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_content=2356976&service=mobile

I am not a doctor nor do I profess to being an expert but this looked like it was similar to what happened to me and you seem to be having identical symptoms too so thought I would share.

Happy Hiking!

thanks for the nice article! I took all this week off but tomorrow I am going to run on some paved concrete and flat leveled dirt and ease into my normal routine. its kind of hard to explain what I have, its very very mild soreness in the Achilles when I first wake up but it doesn't hurt throughout the day and my calf muscles are not the least bit sore which seems to be one of the symptoms of AT.  I did a start out run really quick yesterday like 20 seconds to see if I had any pain and I had none while doing the short run and according to what I read if I had AT it would be sore when running while I start. (correct me if I read wrong though) I am not stiff at all and have full movement with no problems. I am wondering if its just normal start out soreness due to me increasing my milege and my body getting use to it. but I also did a little more than I should have last Sunday because I wasn't thinking and was just in the zone. I'll start up again slowly tomorrow but not on the trails and just see what happens and if it gets bad I'll back off. right now it's not really bad just something I never had before because I ran in regular running shoes.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: