BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 11:19:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe the transition is over...  (Read 2270 times)
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

Back story...running in shoes had deteriorated to 3-5 miles per week of drudgery. Did it because I knew I should...very little enjoyment in it. Wore big motion control shoes and prescription orthotics for almost 20 years.

Was looking for a while at FiveFingers...slow to pull the trigger as I was afraid of going from all that cushioning/support to next to nothing.

Bought a pair of KSOs in August after deciding I had nothing to lose. Started slowly, wore the V5Fs exclusively, but basically started running again from scratch. Some calf soreness...took an extra day off here and there and things seemed fine. Knees and rest of legs felt 20 years younger. The fun was back. Bought 2 more pairs of KSOs and a pair of Flows.

In the last month or so...started having stabbing pain in my right calf. It would come on suddenly during a run...one step was fine, the next excruciating. Took a few days off in a row, tried to run, got the pain within 10 steps. This happened twice. Getting discouraged.

Finally decided last Tuesday to try running in shoes. Ran 1 mile in my running shoes...absolutely no pain. Ran a mile in V5Fs the next day...pain free. Ran 1.5 the day after that..no pain.

Saturday...ran a local 3.2 mile race (trails and roads)in the KSOs...pain free. Ran 30:50...far from a PR but feet, calfs felt great the whole way. Left way too much in the tank but was worried the calf would act up. Got lots of good comments from people wanting to know about the "toe shoes."

Took Sunday off..ran again today...1.7 miles with no pain.

I've drawn the conclusion that the calf pain was actually a cramp, rather than a tear or some sort of overuse.

Any thoughts on this?

Smiley

« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 12:45:39 PM by TomZ » Logged
« on: November 22, 2010, 12:40:15 PM »

riceburner

riceburner is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:41:06 PM »

I 100% agree. I have really good feet, when I transitioned in to 5's for running i just went really slow and was fine, all of a sudden I had the "newbie too much too soon" pain. I was really confused. Took a break for 2 days with no running and regular shoes and it was gone. I think it was just a cramp or my operating system just froze up a bit cause my legs never upgraded from vista  Grin

Sorry nerd joke, but yes I had the same type thing as you.

ARCH SUPPORT IS FOR THE WEAK
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:37:55 AM »

...or not.  Sad

Cramp...if that's what it is...is back with a vengeance.

Rest and stretching.
noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »

Have you tried using a foam roller for self myofascial release? It could help!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 01:46:53 PM »

...or not.  Sad

Cramp...if that's what it is...is back with a vengeance.

Rest and stretching.

Are you drink more than enough water?  I don't get calf cramps from running, but I remember getting awful cramps in the calf while fencing foil because I was not hydrating properly.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:07 PM »

Update:

Right calf pain was severe for a while. I've kind of thrown out the cramp idea and have decided it is a calf strain...grade 2. (My diagnosis, not MD).

Been icing it 1-2 times per day...only walked (no runnning) for about three weeks.

Feels much better now...ran .6 and .7 miles over the last two days. No pain at this point. Still icing and taking the extra day off.   Smiley
kissel

kissel is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »

I get AM calf cramps in the bed after a night of heavy beer drinking.  Bourbon really puts me over the edge.  I knew pre-med students in college who started saline IVs on themselves before they went to bed after a long night of drinking.  The cramps went away completely if I gatoraded before going to bed.

Could be low potassium, also.  Try a couple bananas right after running.  That will replace all your lost potassium from sweat.
cla

cla is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 01:16:43 AM »

I have had chronic calf muscle strains/cramps/tears or whatever for about 18 months now.  I have tried many things to get it to not happen. I "think" what I have is described in the link below but who knows? My current approach is based on the article linked below. Given the weather, it is easier to take  the time off to heal at this time of the year.

http://www.thestick.net/Articles/Calf_%20Heart_%20Attack.htm
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:34:17 PM »

Still at it...running about a mile at a time. Some extra rest days. Lots of stretching and icing. No pain for a few weeks. Ran about 1.75 today on the treadmill at the gym because it was 0.5 degrees out.

Wink

PS...the guy on the next treadmill had on a brand new pair of Bikilas!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 12:36:28 PM by TomZ » Logged
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 10:07:21 PM »

Grin

Still going well...up to 2 miles at a time. I have access to an indoor track, which seems to help. No calf pain. Been doing extra stretching and using the Stick.

New black/camo KSOs arrived today.  Smiley
TomZ

TomZ is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 09:43:05 PM »

So far, so good...

Running regularly since the last update in VFF KSOs. I have access to an indoor track (200M) so the weather has not been much of a factor. Have slowly worked up to 13-14 miles per week (5 days). Long run of 5 miles so far. Would like to get to 20/week or so for the summer. Increasing by about 10%/week with an occasional light week.

No calf issues to note...have still been icing the right one...habit at this point. Looking to begin the transition to running outside...if the weather ever breaks.

Took the plunge today and ran 2 miles on the indoor track...then took off the KSOs and ran barefoot for a half mile. Felt good. No blisters, hotspots, or anything else.

Can I take this to mean my form is somewhat less than terrible?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: