BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 20, 2014, 03:56:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie transitioning. Help with realistic targets please.  (Read 1455 times)
RunningInCircles

RunningInCircles is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

Ok, first up. Thanks in advance  Smiley

The background.
I have been wearing KSO Treks since March this year for as much time as possible. At work I have to wear boots, so I travel in the VFFs and change. Everywhere else I wear the VFFs. EXCEPT for running. I started running in Nike Lunarglides some time back when I got into running. This year I moved into F-Lite 230s for short runs and Roclite 315s for long runs. I have put off running in VFFs until now because this years target for me was an Ultra. Having survived a 100km run, now is the time for some reassessment. I didn't want to risk an injury prior to that run and really couldn't afford to reduce my milage while preparing for it, hence no running in VFFs. Standard weeks running would for me be 3 runs: Tues - 3 miles, Thurs 3 miles, Sunday 26 miles. The vast majority of my mileage coming from the long weekend run.

So this week I feel like I have recovered, and I started running in my VFFs. So I run my usual 3 miles in them and it takes a while to gget used to them but by 1.5 miles I have  forgotten about them. Next run is the same, but it is earlier when I stop being so concious of them. Ran an extra time during the week with my OH as she has taken up running recently, so that was a slow and comfortable 2 miles. Then the weekend comes around and I ran 10 miles in them. No real issues, some odd aches etc that appeared and disappeared during the run. I have had calves that are sore when massaged, but fine when walking or running.

Now the question is how far should I take the long runs? I stopped myself at 10 miles, but felt like a half was easily doable.
There is the issue of this years targets:
  • Run an ultra (done)
  • Run 100 miles at least every month (So far so good)
  • Run 1500 miles for the year (On target)

It's the 100 miles a month that could be an issue. Due to commitments, most of that mileage will have to come from 1 run a week. So how far can I take the long runs in VFFs. Realistically I need to be running 20 miles as a minimum on the weekend runs, which if I was in Inov8s would be no real issue.

So should I run  short runs in VFFs and long runs in F-Lites for the time being or just go for it in VFFs? Or is there a third way? Will running in F-Lites impact on the learing my body is doing in terms of footfall etc?
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:05:50 PM »

RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »

Oh well. Guess I'll just have to go on instinct.

Will let you know how I get on after tomorrows run. Going out for 15-20 miles and see what happens.

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 11:20:35 PM »

That's a lot of mileage in VFFs, since you've only been running in them for a week.  You risk getting top of the foot pain or a metatarsal stress fracture, which is a very painful thing to have.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »

check out the vibram site for recommended mileage when transitioning to VFFs

isn't it like 10% of your normal running habits?  something like that. and every other day or something.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »

JMoore86

JMoore86 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 01:22:39 PM »

Hey Running in Circles.

I am in the same boat. Training for a marathon and built my milage up to 10 miles, but 6 weeks into training I discovered barefoot running/shoes. I run in my lunarglides and just focus on form and landing midfoot, Im naturally a forefoot striker. I am going to run the race in my lunarglides in December, then start a running training schedule for my VFF. I also do everything else in my barefoot shoes, weight lifting, walking and hiking, but will wait on running. 

Merrell has a great training app for barefoot running for the iphone. I'm not sure if they have one for android, but its worth looking into.

Good luck on your training!
RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 01:27:24 PM »

20 miles today. No issues. Tiring on the legs compared to running in shoes. 15 miles in I noticed that I wasn't so light on my feet. Needed to think a little about form. By mile 19 I was feeling fresh and springy again. The psychology of the last mile. Feet feel good. Will need to massage my legs tonight, especially calves.
Just keeping the pace really slow and focussing on being smooth. Will see how things feel and decide on shoes vs treks for next weekends run. Body seems to be reacting ok though. Ankles and legs that are protesting a little.

Just going to listen to my body and run on feel.
RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 09:55:08 AM »

No problems with the feet today. Calves and shins ache a lot and need repeating massage. However, it is hard to say how much of that is running barefoot and how much is due to the fact it is my first decent length run since a 62 mile race this time last month.
Gut instinct is that it is the barefoot gait that is making the difference.

It is nothing that bad though, no worse than I have had following a 30 mile training run. Not due to run again until Tuesday, so plenty of time to work on my legs. Will see how they feel cone next weekend and decide again as to how far to go out for.
JMoore86

JMoore86 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »

Ha thats insane! I hate distance running. I am starting to like it, but I'd still rather be on a mountain bike Smiley Glad things are working out for you. I did a 2 mile completely barefoot run Friday and our Team in Training 5 mile group run Saturday with my Nikes. I really enjoyed barefoot running... Maybe if I can build up my milage barefoot distance running woudn't be so boring to me.
RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 04:59:18 AM »

Hope it goes ok for you JMoore86. Distance running is my thing as I'm never going to be fast (too old), but I can be stubbborn :-)

18 miles yesterday and two midweek runs of 3 miles. Slightly tight left calf on the midweek runs, but didn't feel it at all yesterday. Just did 18 miles yesterday to bring up 50 miles for the month to date. See, I CAN take it easy, held at 18 to stay on target. Felt good for a few more miles.
I am finding that there is no problems with my feet, but various muscles are getting a workout more that usual and I get far more pronounced DOMS the next day. Today I'll need to stretch & massage. I can live with that though, and really it makes sense, given that I am changing my stride pattern and footfall.

Looks like I could manage the 100 miles in FiveFingers this month... So far so good :-)
UberC5

UberC5 is a new face.

I hunt with a Subaru...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »

It seems like you are doing it right.  I am just starting to use my VFF's to help get back into shape, whereas you were already in shape but transitioning to the new footwear.  TMTS to you is waaayy different then it is to me Wink

It is refreshing to read your posts.  Listen to your body, and the rest works itself out.  I'll take that as I begin my loooong journey back to fitness.

I bowl overhand

Current VFF's: Syridon LS (Military Green/Grey/Black) M42, Speed (Black/White) M42, 2 pair of Bormio (Whiskey Crazyhorse) M42, Trek LS (Whiskey Crazyhorse) M42, KSO Trek (Brown) M41, KSO (Blue Camo) M41
Non VFF:  NB Minimus Trail MultiSport EU44
RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

Thanks to all for their comments.

Today's 18 miler brings me up to 75 for the month in FiveFingers. Seems like it is all going ok. On target for the 100 and no foot issues.

Feel psychologically that I have crossed the point of no return. Can't see myself going back to running in regular shoes.

Just considering Flows for the winter after todays early morning fog made the temperature drop a bit.
RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 05:47:18 AM »

Ordered some Flows.

Can't get my Treks dry again quick enough to use later in the day, so need more than one pair if I am to live in FiveFingers.

Decided that when it gets warm again and they are too hot, to swap into I might investigate huaraches for the summer months. VFFs are sooo expensive that owning several pairs is a major expense. It was hard to find Flows on sale in the UK, let alone get a good price  Shocked
vice69

vice69 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 01:14:05 PM »

congrats on the mileage you're achieving for recently transitioning into vffs.

VFF Komodos (2)
VFF Classics (1)
Vivo AquaLites (1)
74 Hiking Miles so far.
RunningInCircles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 04:46:57 AM »

Well, I feel I have it sorted.

Went past the 100 miles for the month yesterday with a 19 miler. Legs starting to feel a lot looser and more like my normal self. I reckon that another easy month of about a 100 miles and I'll be back to my normal ways.

Flows should see me through the winter months and my days of running in trainers seem to be over.

Thanks to all for their comments, but I'm off back to a more active forum to natter with my fellow fetchies about running :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: