BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 23, 2014, 06:21:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newtons running shoes  (Read 2799 times)
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »

Yes, I know - those are NOT minimalist. However, the creator says they're better than minimalist! The April 2012 Runners World issue makes them sound fantastic!

I'm not so sure. There's a booth at the DC half and full marathon today and tomorrow, and I'm thinking of checking out the expo just to see them. But I wanted to check here first and see if anyone has experience with those:

http://www.newtonrunning.com/shoes

(summary: reduced heel drop, seriously cushioned forefoot, Olympian Zola Budd supposedly told Runners World that they're even better than running barefoot)
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:22:47 PM »

I don't have experience with them, but I recall reading that Dr. Mark Cucuzella (natural running center) runs marathons in the MV2.

http://zero-drop.com/?p=3462

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Dexter_Morgan23

Dexter_Morgan23 is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:18:33 PM »

I have a pair of MV2 while they are zero drop and light, they are still 16.5mm thick. Actually got my first shin splint in them :\

Proud owner of my first pair of Red Remix KSOs as of 08/12/11 at 12:13 pm Cheesy
Leming Natural Origins, Invisible shoes 6mm and 4mm, Altra Adam, Altra Samson (March 5thish), Newton MV2, Aguias Spartan 1
www.minimalistandlovingit.blogspot.com
www.barefootfarm.org Support the Tarahumara
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »

Before going minimalist I used to think that the Newtons were a good idea. I really didn't give it much thought, so just blindly accepted the marketing. However, after careful thought it is easy to see the whole rebound sole thing is a gimmick and does not return the amount of energy they claim. Its scientifically impossible. You can't add in another mechanism into a system and increase its efficiency. There will always be a loss every time energy gets transformed. You will always get less return energy than what you put into the Newton sole. Just the same as a basketball never bounces back to the same height it was dropped from. The Law of Energy Conservation is pretty solid and I doubt a shoe company will find a way to invalidate it any time soon. The most efficient bio-mechanical model would to be completely barefoot. That way you don't have any additional loss in energy. However, most of us need a certain level of protection, so there is always a trade off. In the end you just need to pick the shoe that does what you need.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »

grimreeper

grimreeper is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15:10 AM »

the creator says they're better than minimalist
Yeah funny about that, Sketchers probably says that their toning shoes are better than minimalist lol.
I have watched him in discussion panels and he seems very much like a sales guy to me. He was always trying to discredit VFF's and barefoot running, and always touting the newtons. I don't blame him, who doesn't want more money?. I have tried them and I felt like they were just like normal shoes to be honest, except that they are zero drop. Almost like the if the sole on the nike shox was reversed lol.
I've heard a lot of stories of the nike shox messing up your ankle. Similarly with the newton's while I they do have sponsored athletes who seem to do just fine I've also heard that people frequently injure their ankles using them.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:16:32 AM »

@grimreeper

I used to wear Nike Shox, in my pre-minimalist days.  I am not a runner and never ran in them, but I had no issue with ankle problems.  I did quite a lot of walking pushing a stroller, but no running.

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
grimreeper

grimreeper is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »

@grimreeper

I used to wear Nike Shox, in my pre-minimalist days.  I am not a runner and never ran in them, but I had no issue with ankle problems.  I did quite a lot of walking pushing a stroller, but no running.
Fair enough. I've never had them myself and the stories I have from friends is hardly a proper way to determine the validity of my statement but I thought I'd just put it out there.
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

I am by no means a supporter of the shox.  It was a marketing ploy and nothing else.  I only bought them because I found them in my size on clearance.  It was during my pre-minimalist footwear days.  I am not discrediting that some people could have gotten injured using them.  
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:07:37 AM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »

Thanks, all! It seems this is just another sales gimmick. I'll pass on trying them on (the shin splits story scared me as well).
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »

Thanks, all! It seems this is just another sales gimmick. I'll pass on trying them on (the shin splits story scared me as well).

I'm not advocating them, nor trashing them. (Actually I kind of did trash them a little bit) However, if you have a local store that carries them and has good customer care policies I would recommend at least checking them out for your own education. While forums like this can be very helpful, there is no substitute for firsthand experience. Next month I'll be picking up another pair of Bikilas and while in there I'm going to try on some of the MV2 shoes. I'm doing that because I want the firsthand experience and it also adds to your credibility. If you don't have a local store, then I would completely pass on them.

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »

True, Jeepman. CitySports in DC has them - I'll check them out when I drop by to try on the latest editions of VFFs. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: