BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
December 18, 2014, 10:13:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ok, first run in Speeds  (Read 592 times)
manny_deleon

manny_deleon is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »

So, after two weeks of walking and short 100 meter runs, I decided to do a 2.0 miler.  well, no prob so far.  calves and a achilles mildly sore but stretching and a couple days break took care of that. SOOOO, the question is, what's next, taking this minimalist approach really slow.  Thought of doing 400M intervals at the track to acquire some speed training.  What's your opinion?

on another note, it seems my natural impact was more at the rear of the ball of my foot, as opposed to the front.  it seemed more comfortable to run in that manner than to focus solely on the ball of my foot.  almost, notice the word ALMOST, a flat foot contact with the ground.

on another, other note, not a single sign of shin pain....and that has been since minute one of putting on the Speeds.
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:57:12 AM »

PatrickGSR94

PatrickGSR94 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »

Some people have a mid-foot strike and some more of a fore-foot strike.  I think either way is probably fine as long as you're not heel striking.

Barefooting since May 2011.  VFF'ing in Komodosport LS in cold weather since October 2011.
The Yeti

The Yeti is starting to look familiar.The Yeti is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »

Everyone is a little different, but it sounds like you have a midfoot landing, which is good. That's pretty well how I land as well, back of the ball of my foot and them my heel touches the ground almost at the same time. Basically this way the ligaments and bones in your feet absorb most of the impact, then when your heel touches (fairly gentle touch, not an impact) the ground it takes strain off of your calves for an instant. This movement allows your calf not to be tense for the entire run.

Take it slow, and as long as it feels right, then you're probably doing it right. Just remember to listen to your body, and if you encounter any pain or discomfort, throw your regular sneakers on and finish off your run.

To err is human, to arr is pirate.
manny_deleon

manny_deleon is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »

you know, it reminds me of a conversation I had with some friends of mine.  it went like this:

male Friend--Manny do you recommend those shoes?
me--Yes, but before you buy, read all the pros and cons information about them since they cost a pretty penny and its best that you take it really slow running in them.
female friend to male friend--just try them on and if you like them... buy them.

all I thought was, I pray he would listen to me and not her.  Roll Eyes
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 01:28:05 PM »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: