BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 20, 2014, 04:57:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OMG! I am heel striking in my Huarches! What shall I do?  (Read 1083 times)
Flyjeffva

Flyjeffva is a new face.

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »

A friend sent me this picture of me at the finish of a 5k race this weekend.  I was shocked to see the heel strike!  I had no idea.  What should I do?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:23:09 PM by Flyjeffva » Logged
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »

Flyjeffva

Flyjeffva is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:48 PM »

And I would appreciate guidance on how to post I picture.  Can't seem to figure it out.
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »

First... just stop.  lol

100 ups, practice, and keep your focus on your landing.  I don't know what your fitness level is or what distances you are used to running.  It's possible you were tired and therefore your form suffered.  If it was your first race, it could be that you were excited to finish and lost focus.

In either case, I bet you are not 100% heel striking, if you were you would be in all kinds of pain after a 5k

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »

Same thing happened to me when I did a half marathon this past Saturday.  Two of the event photos show me heel striking while others show me forefoot striking.  The heel striking photos were from the beginning of the race, probably the first two miles.  After that, I settled into my proper form.  For me, it was probably the excitement and the fact that there were 500+ runners surrounding me and the pack didn't thin out for the first mile or so.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »

Flyjeffva

Flyjeffva is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies -
100 ups?  What's that?

More information - I am 52 years old and been running pretty consistantly since I was 25.  Frist started minimalist in VFF Komodo Sport LS's last october.  Started at 1.5 miles and slowly worked up to my normal 4.3 mile hilly course over a period of 5 weeks and 25 miles.  I started running in my Huarches the end of January.  My normal run is 4.3 miles hilly course at a pace of 7:45 to 8:15 per mile. 

As of race day, I had run 118 miles minimalist and including 21 miles in the Huarches.  The 5K was  a relatively flat course and my time was 21:55.  I have to admit that I faded at the end and the picture (that I can't figure out how to post) is of me crossing the finish line so I am pretty well wasted.  Maybe that is a factor.
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »

100 ups is a training technique that you probably don't need if you run that much. If you want to look it up, just do a quick search, there was also an article on the main page of the site.

After all that training and you admission to being wasted, I would say it was a matter of fatigue and loss of focus as opposed to bad technique.  If after all that training you were still consistently heel striking... you would have felt the pain by now.

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
Flyjeffva

Flyjeffva is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »

I can't figure out how to post a picture, but here is a web link to my picture posted on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34062461@N06/6911770617/#in/photostream
JustinB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:40:04 PM »

If you click reply just above the smiley face with the big smile is a little picture.  It will show you the code for a picture.  just insert the link inbetween that code and it will show.  Or you can go to Flickr, click share, and choose the bbc code and paste that here as well.

It's possible it was fatigue, or lost focus, or even just a single step.  I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you find it is becoming a major issue.

MCvet

MCvet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »

Trek LS Brown 45... Speed black/white 46... Flow black 45... KSO REMIX 45... Bikila white/red 45... KSO trek brown 45... Komodo yellow 45... 1 Black and 1 Brown bormio's 45... Green Spyridon 45...  Yellow/Blk SeeYa 45
Flyjeffva

Flyjeffva is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »

Yea!!  I did the pictue.  Thanks for ALL the help!
munisano

munisano is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:55:37 AM »

You're probably over striding. That's the most common culprit for when you're racing and starting to tire.  The ways we compensate to try and maintain pace is either increase the leg turn over (toughest option) OR increase the stride length (easiest option).  I noticed I tend to do this in the long races as well.  At a local marathon I know I felt like I had good form for about 18-19 miles as my steps were noiseless, silent.  But as I started to tire near then end (still maintaining pace BTW) I could hear my feet starting to slap so I know my form started to go and I was heel striking a bit more.  No big deal, it's natural, which is why I know I like shoes with a bit of cushioning so I can keep from getting injured!  It's either that or slow way down; not an option!

All I can say is when the going gets tough try to internalize and focus on good form; easier said than done I know.  That sort of worked even as my form started to break down in my marathon.  If I concentrated more I could stop the feet from slapping, but it was tough!

Anyhow, a little heel striking isn't going to kill you, especially if you aren't way over striding.  I think the negative commentary about heel striking is a bit over blown; it's the over striding that's the issue.

Rob Y

munisano
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:35:09 PM »

Yes it shows even from the front, your ARE overstriding... It's really hard to land fore or mid foot when overstriding...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:37:23 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Flyjeffva

Flyjeffva is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:12 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  I will keep "form" in mind as I run in the future.

One comment - Running in th Huaraches is NOT quiet.  Even when I think I have good form, they slap - especially down hills.  There is a dog along my route that barks as I go by in my VFF's, but when I am wearing the Huaraches, the dog starts barking when I am 100 yards away.  Is Huaraches running supposed to be quiet?  That has been elusive for me.
munisano

munisano is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:34 AM »

If you're even subtly heel striking I'd imagine you'd hear that "slap" sound, I know I do late in long runs and races when I start to tire; I can hear it!  You may not notice as much in the VFFs because those things have some EVA midsole to them; not a lot but probably enough to absorb the shock a bit.  Plus the materials involved are different.  Your huaraches are a thicker piece of hard rubber while the VFFs are probably a bit softer (at least that's what I can tell from looking at my VFFs and Luna Sandals).

Remember, short strides and lean slightly forward from the ankles not the hips or back.  There is a ton of online information about this very topic; probably much better explained than I can.

Good luck!

munisano
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: