BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
April 24, 2014, 04:44:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking wisdom from those who have completed mud/obstacle races  (Read 936 times)
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »

I'm doing the Tough Mudder at Wintergreen next week. I saw the outstanding information here http://birthdayshoes.com/forum/barefoot-activities/thinking-about-running-a-tough-mudder-thoughts-from-someone-who-just-did/ - very helpful! Now, I've got a small question.

I'm going to run in my Treksports (chose that over my Flows, Treks, KSOs, and Komodosports). Should I wear my Injinji liners? I get a blister on the same toe every time I don't wear the liners on long runs, but I'm afraid the socks will cause mud/dirt/debris to stick to the socks and keep poking into my skin. Alternatively, maybe it'll be worse without liners because the debris will rub directly on my skin.

What say you, mud runners who have tried it either or both ways?
« on: October 11, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »

JMoore86

JMoore86 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:14:39 PM »

I say run how you normally run, just expect muddy, cold feet. I made the mistake of running the MS Mud Race in a 5yr old pair of Nike Air Max, because I didn't want to mess up my new shoes. I ended up with a horrible knee injury. My form was horrible and my body paid the price!

Run in your socks. Your toe will thank you. Your feet will feel heavier due to water/mud in the shoes/socks, but nothing compared to the poor fools running in 5 year old sneakers. Smiley
Peter

Peter is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:56 PM »

I concur.   I went back and forth with this same decision before doing Warrior Dash, and in the end I decided, correctly, to wear the socks.  There were periods where my feet felt heavy and water-logged, but they were brief.  The way that FFs and Injinji socks are made, they just DON"T hold on to water for very long.  By the end of the race, my feet felt heavier than normal, but still lighter than if I was wearing regular, dry, running shoes.
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »

I wish I saw those posts before last Saturday, which is when I did the Tough Mudder. I ended up wearing my Treksports without the socks.

1. VFFs are definitely the way to go. I cannot imagine wearing regular shoes for a Tough Mudder!

2. I'm not completely sure I'd have been better off with the socks. A few miles into the race, there was some grit under my soles that was sort of annoying but it was easy enough to put it out of my mind. However, my feet froze - they were completely numb by mile 7 or so (a disadvantage of doing a TM in the mountains, the fall), and I think my midfoot strike fell apart - I can't be sure because I couldn't feel anything. I'm sure I was sort of stomping the last couple of miles. When I took the VFFs off at the end of the race, the pain on my soles was pretty intense as my feet started to warm up. My soles (forefoot area) felt puffy and sore all day yesterday.

I'm not sure the socks would have kept my feet warmer. I used thin gloves to help protect my hands on obstacles such as the Berlin Walls, and my hands quickly became the coldest part of my body because the gloves kept my hands wet long after I'd passed through water obstacles.

Next TM I do, I'll wear the socks if it's above 60-65 degrees, but probably go without if it's below that to allow my feet to dry faster.

Peter - what were the temps when you did the Warrior Dash?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:26:34 PM »

Wouldn't your flows have been the right choice here? They are made for wet conditions and they would have kept your feet warm...

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
barefeet

barefeet is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

Horse Rider - no. I tried some hill sprints in my Flows on damp grass as a test and I was slipping all over the place, especially while going downhill. I have the black Flows with the idro-grip sole and I don't see what difference the "special" sole makes - the smooth soles simply aren't for this type of event. If the TM course had been on a fairly flat surface, perhaps, but on a ski resort course, I really needed something with much better traction (hence the Trek soles). All the long uphills and downhills with smooth soles would have killed me.

I agree that they would have felt a bit warmer, though.

Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »

Humm, too bad the Flow Treks are so hard to get other than in Europe...

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia/Grey,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili/Peach,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki/Sand,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Stem,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: