BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:45:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some questions from a beginner runner  (Read 1035 times)
seannymurrs

seannymurrs is a new face.

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »

First off let me clarify that I am a beginner to running period, not just barefoot/minimalist running. I've owned a bare of VFF classics for about a year now, and they are the shoes I wear daily in the summer, but I've never tried running with them. It wasn't until recently that I decided to take up running at all. My question is this... Since I love wearing my VFF classics for my every day activities, should I try running in them? Some of my friends who are runners have suggested getting a normal pair of running shoes for now, and then transitioning to the minimalist shoes down the line. There's a part of me that thinks this might not make sense because I'd have to learn how to run twice, once in regular shoes, and then again when I switch to VFFs. I'm currently doing a couch to 10k type program that has me running in very short intervals at the moment. I'm only on week two, and the program has me running for 1.5 minutes, then walking for 1.5 minutes. I repeat this for a total of 30 minutes. Would this be a good way to get used to running in my VFFs? And finally, I'm currently a pretty big guy. I'm 6'3 and 269lbs. The reason I'm getting into running in the first place is to lose some weight, but I wasn't sure if my current weight would be a deciding factor in whether to try running in a minimalist shoe.

Sorry to throw so many questions at once like this, but I'm really interested in giving this a shot, but only if it's the smart decision given all the current variables.
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:55:28 PM »

PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »

Welcome Sean.

Here's my $.02 for what its worth.  I would suggest either running barefoot or in your VFFs.  As you said, why learn to run twice?  However, be very careful and pay attention to any aches or pains you might have.  You might want to start out even slower than your plan indicates.  You might want to check this out for some good info:

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/new-barefoot-minimalist-runners-start-here

http://birthdayshoes.com/how-to-transition-to-running-in-vibram-five-fingers

Another thing to consider is what you're wearing when not in your VFFs.  If you aren't in minimalist shoes all the time, you might want to start hanging out barefoot around your house and any other times you can.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

I agree with PB Junkie dont bother with the normal running shoes and stick with the vibrams or just go totally barefoot, just do it slowly very slowly let the muscles and bones keep on building up and other than that just go barefoot as much as you can.
seannymurrs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »

I work from home, so am almost always barefoot when home. As long as weather permits, I almost exclusively wear my VFFs when out and about. Only time I wear something else is if it just isn't practical and/or appropriate.
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:40:53 PM »

seannymurrs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »

Well I went for my first "run" on Monday, and it went well. I did about 6 minutes of total running time, but alternated between running for a minute and walking for 1.5 minutes. I do have a question about proper form though. I have a tendency to underpronate when I walk/run, my feel roll to the outside. I know I shouldn't be landing on my heels, but as I was running I found mysel landing one of two ways. I would either land on the balls of my feet, almost like I was up on my toes, or I would land more mid foot, with most of the weight on the outer part (not sure what that part is officially called). Which of these two landings should I be aiming for?
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:18:02 PM »

Second landing option, it should be on the mid or forefoot, first on the outer part but immediately rolling towards the inner part of the foot. The heel should land almost simultaneously as your forefoot (so no running up on your toes), and most importantly under your hips (short strides).

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 02:25:47 PM »

Also, you can try to run barefoot for now, and after some time (few months/weeks) with your VFF on (if you have to have shoes).

The running-walking-running is a very good way to start running barefoot (it was know here for years - in scouts and the army).
seannymurrs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »

I'm currently running on a treadmill at my gym, so going completely barefoot might be a little tricky. I already get enough weird looks running in my classics.
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »

One thing that might help is to run in place.  That will give you a good feel for the landing.  You may also want to check out POSE or Chi Running drills. 

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: