BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 31, 2014, 11:42:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sore heels from Vff treks?  (Read 868 times)
lestic

lestic is a new face.

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:57:52 AM »

Hello!

New to this forum. I've been running in vff kso for a few months, taking it easy to start with. Just walked with them for the first couple of months. I think my form is quite ok, I'm landing on the ball of my foot.
Weather started to get colder here in Finland, so I bought a pair of vff treks. Figured their a bit warmer, and have a better grip when it starts to get slippery. So yesterday I ran in them for maybe about 4 km, and had sore heels afterwards.
Pretty sure I wasn't heel striking. I was running part on asphalt, most on gravel road. Weather was cold, temps around -2C, no snow yet but the gravel road was very hard, ground starts to be a bit frozen. I was running in long trousers and only a t-shirt, felt really good Smiley
Could this have something to do with the more agressive tread on treks? Maybe that digs into my heels somehow?
Actually now that I think about it, the soreness isn't exactly on the heel, more like on front of the heel.

It's not a bad pain, slight soreness.

What do you think?
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:57:52 AM »

nowster

nowster is starting to look familiar.nowster is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »

It may just be that the sole of your Treks is still new and slightly stiff.

VFF: M46: Classic, KSO x4, Trek x3, Trek LS, Treksport x2, KMDSport, EL-X, Bikila LS, Spyridon MR, Flow, Signa, Speed, Sprint (fake?), KSO EVO;
       M47: Speed, Classic (too big)
Non-VFF: 46 Merrell Tough Glove, 47 VB Synth Hiker
Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

Could this have something to do with the more agressive tread on treks? Maybe that digs into my heels somehow?
Actually now that I think about it, the soreness isn't exactly on the heel, more like on front of the heel.

It could be the lugs on the soles digging in.  I feel the lugs on my VB Hydrophobic Mesh Trails.  I do not get pain from them, but I notice them when I am wearing the shoes.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:50:13 PM by Mr. Leigh » Logged

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
lestic

lestic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »

Or could these be symptoms of a minor plantar fasciitis?
Just wondering.. the soreness was pretty much gone in a day, I'm gonna try tomorrow to take a short run with KSO:s, to see if I get the same pain with them.
If weather allows to run..
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »

Mr. Leigh
Superstar

Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Mr. Leigh thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

23 pair VFFs, 3 pair Stems, 5 VB, & 2 Teva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »

lestic

Have you been researching plantar fasciitis?  Is there a reason why you might think it is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

So be sure when you step.
Step with care and great tact and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.
Just never forget to be dexterous and deft. 
And never mix up your right foot and your left.

Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Suess
lestic

lestic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:05:31 AM »

lestic

Have you been researching plantar fasciitis?  Is there a reason why you might think it is that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantar_fasciitis

Well a little bit, I just read that a common symptom is pain at around that area where I had some soreness.

I haven't had a chance yet to run more, will probably go out tonight for a short run. See how it feels.
toesstoutdownyesfingers

toesstoutdownyesfingers is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:56:24 PM »

I have the same issue only with my Treksports.  Sometimes when I run in them the back of my heel becomes real tender.  About a half inch above the back of my foot.  Still right below the achilles tendon.  I don't get this in any of my other Vibrams and I don't know the reason for it.  After about a week of RICE the tenderness has gone away. 

M43 Komodosport LS Castle Rock/Navy/Grey
M43 Bikila Royal Blue/Black/Grey
M43 TrekSport Black/Charcoal
M43 Classics Black
M44.5 Merrell Road Glove Twilight
M44.5 Merrell Bare Access Black/Gecko
lestic

lestic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 03:12:26 AM »

I went for a run yesterday with Treks, and had no problems at all, but did a shorter distance, I'd say around 2,5km. Gonna keep running this short distance for a while now. Running quite fast, also it was cold so I like to pick up some speed to keep myself warm.

klanger

klanger is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »

Good idea :-) Take it easy.
lestic

lestic is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 03:56:42 AM »

25cm of snow and -5C, and in a few days should be -19C here.
Lol, looks like I'll have to take a recovery break from running Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: