BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:43:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TMTS?  (Read 923 times)
robbielynn

robbielynn is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »

Hi everyone,

I have been transitioning to running in my vibrams and barefoot for about 2 weeks. I've run about 6 miles in total. Yesterday I went out for a run with my husband and did something very stupid. First off it was cold and I hadn't warmed up. Secondly to get to where we were running we had to run up, like straight up a very large hill. Once we get to the top I notice I have a slight pain in my left calf muscle but nothing too bad. We keep running and after about 1.6 miles in my calf seizes and I go from running to hopping. Oh MY the PAIN. So calf muscle is seized up and I can't run, I can't even walk properly back to the van. I think it is my soleus muscle and I know it is a pretty nasty case of TMTS. What I want to know is how long am I out? I know to ice it and try and stretch gently. I have also been rubbing it gently. Any other ideas on how to help my poor calf? I feel pretty dumb about it as I have been going slow but didn't even consider that run that much straight up hill could be too much. Lesson learned I guess. Anyways I'd love any advise or BTDT info.

Thanks,
Robbie-Lynn

Robbie-Lynn, mama to 7 and new barefoot/minimalist runner
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »

Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »

PLEASE wait at least a few days to a week. Wait until you feel 100% fine.

It must be a right of passage, even though I knew better, I did TMTS  early on myself.

Even if you were a runner before, especially if you were, you Must go way slower than that.

Please get barefoot running book by Michael Sandler and follow his advice.

1 mile, man it took me from 4-6 months to get there, then another 6 to go up to 4 after that things opened up to 5,8,10,16,26! In less than 6 months but by then my body was ready, and I learned how to use my feet, read my body etc. You need both as well.

Also enjoy the days you rest & recover. They are even more valuable and important than the running days.

Go at your own pace. I would put the vibrams away for a while and go small but only barefoot, in a few months if you are patient, things will fall into place and distance will open up, you can then find shoes you want if any.

I stayed 95% barefoot, then Luna sandal and if absolutely needed Vibram Bikilas.

For now get the book, (available in kindle or paper) by Michael Sandler and use the next few days to recover and read exactly how to proceed.

Don't fret about the injury, remember the pain younger experiencing so you don't do it again, and again wait until you are completely recovered Before you go back out.

Even now when I 10+ miles when I run, I still treat myself the same way, my feet know they worked out, and I make sure I'm recovered before I go out again, two ways I do this is to rest if I need it or alternate between short 4 mile runs, and longer 10 to 20 ones.

Best of luck, and most of all.. Enjoy the Jorney!

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

The Journey is  the reward...
jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11:52 AM »

Yeah, TMTS definitely isn't much fun.  Definitely ease off on the minimalist running.  I got top of the foot pain from doing too much too soon.  Thankfully it was just strained muscles vs a metatarsal stress fracture.  I was sidelined for two weeks.  After that I did a seven month transition to minimalist shoes (VFF and RunAmocs) and now I'm running full time in them and have even completedd three half marathons.  A slow transition is definitely worth it.

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »

Yes and that is the key. To learn to distinguish between normal fatigue\discomfort and the start of an injury that will end up in a disaster if you do not know when to STOP!

I too got Top Of Foot Pain once by running 2-3 miles for two days on sidewalk concrete. apparently it is too compact for  my feet. Within a day I knew this was not just a bit of fatigue and it progressed to a painful condition for a few days and a 2 week recovery.

Luckily I stopped when I did. If I had pushed on, it would have turned into a stress fracture or worse. As it is I recovered within 2 weeks and ran my full 1/2 and a full marathon less than 3 months later!

Like I tell people that I'm teaching, I value and enjoy my rest days even more than my run days. For these are the days where you recover, and enjoy the feeling as my feet go from tender\sore to strong and healthy.

Yeah, TMTS definitely isn't much fun.  Definitely ease off on the minimalist running.  I got top of the foot pain from doing too much too soon.  Thankfully it was just strained muscles vs a metatarsal stress fracture.  I was sidelined for two weeks.  After that I did a seven month transition to minimalist shoes (VFF and RunAmocs) and now I'm running full time in them and have even completedd three half marathons.  A slow transition is definitely worth it.

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »

robbielynn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »

Thanks so much. It is slow going. I have done a little bit on the treadmill now barefoot and it was good. I stopped as soon as my calf got a tiny bit sore.
Wonder when it will totally better??

GoodJava

GoodJava is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 12:01:55 PM »

Hello RL,

Yes I think 6 miles the first 2 weeks is TMTS. Prior to VFF and BF running I was a 10/mile week runner. It is now almost 3 months in a I am comfortable running 1.5 miles 3x a week. Through that I suffered a badly strained left calf muscle and TOFP in my right foot. Each time I totally laid off running till the pain went away. Make sure you incorporate some cross training and proper leg strengthening/stretching. I go to the gym 3x a week and found the Concept 2 rower fantastic for conditioning as well as leg/tendon therapy. It is easy to get frustrated with having to shut down your run before you get a real workout but doing so is critical if you want to be successful.

I saw your treadmill video and though you seem to be stepping too far forward you do appear to land over your feet. You might want to try incorporating a slight forward lean and see if that feels better. The goal is to have a very smooth and soft foot strike so focus on getting your feet as quiet as possible. That will be hard (impossible) on a treadmill but easy to work since you can focus on your feet rather than avoiding obstacles in the street.

Good luck.

It's all mind over matter. I no longer mind cause you no longer matter. -Hollywood Movie-
robbielynn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »

Thanks GJ. I am just starting to add in some yoga to help me loosen up and stretch out my muscles. I cannot believe how cranky I am without my usual running. Prior to switching I was running 30-40 miles a week.

Olarte

Olarte is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »

You simply cannot rush the process... it may take you 3-4 months to go up to 3 or 4 miles consistently without issues but then you will be able to add much more distance in shorter time.  enjoy the experience, you will look back on your first year fondly!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: