BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
October 21, 2014, 03:57:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 117
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Running  (Read 143485 times)
balsam0

balsam0 is starting to look familiar.balsam0 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: June 19, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

First 5k in the bag. I ran it in 25:30 unofficially. It was raining hard the whole race. I ran in my Bikila and i was seriously consdering running barefoot. My only concern was my feet getting soft from the rain and blistering. I would have hated to dnf on my first race because of blisters.

I think the winner of the race finished between 15 and 16 minutes.  That is extremely impressive. Something I will never achieve, but it does give me something to strive for. I could have pushed myself harder I think. I finished ready to run to run another race.

I have a 5k next Sunday and the plan is to run barefoot. After that i am going to try some 10Ks and maybe a half before the year is up. I don't think i could convince my dad to go for the half. He keeps playing the old excuse. 
« Reply #1440 on: June 19, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 19, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »

see that buddy - nice work

Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 20, 2010, 04:26:28 PM »

Left Jens heading out to Beeby turned left to South Croxton up strawberry hill then headed back to via the Ridgemere. Object of the excersise was to pace myself for half marathon. Happy with the results. Used the virtual partner facility on my Garmin 305. Works a treat. Still ended up quicker than needed for a 2:15. Could afford to back off. Felt a lot better today at same mile point as I did in Hinkley half. Slow and steady seems the way for me.

Details here. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/37589033

Jason

Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 20, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »

Well we have arrived at that sad day where after "only" Wink 639 miles in my sprints. One toe has worn through to the inner canvas material and the material to the inside of my big left toe has also worn through. Have used them ever week for the past 18 months. Not a bad return. For some reason I can not fully explain. I want to get through the summer league in them before I break out  my other pair.

Prestwold 10K coming up next Sunday. As flat a 10k course as you are likely to get. Looking to improve on last years PB. Cooler would be nice and helpful. Then 10 or so days later the Hungarton 7 which is the complete opposite with some stonking lung busting hills.

Jason
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 04:47:15 PM by Ardent » Logged

« Reply #1443 on: June 20, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »

balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 21, 2010, 08:16:53 AM »

I got my official time of 25:25 for my first 5k.  I also might have finished 3rd in my age group.  I think there is a correction that needs to be made on the website.  A female ended up in my group.  She did have a better time than me and was still in my age group, so I am not sure if I should be proud. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:24:50 PM by balsam0 » Logged
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1445 on: June 21, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »

Just updated my blog (link is below) with reflections on running the Niagara 50K Ultra.

Alan

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.marley mission is making a name for themselves.

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: June 21, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »

enjoyed the blog alan

i was wondering how things went

and it sounds like things went very well indeed Grin

god bless

JohnnyIdaho

JohnnyIdaho is a new face.

Black KSO's

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1447 on: June 21, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »

Just updated my blog (link is below) with reflections on running the Niagara 50K Ultra.

Alan

I found that blog post very moving Alan.  Its not all about races, its about being in touch with who you are and what you enjoy.   I'm sure that young grey hound will love being your running buddy!

Did 7 miles last night with my dogs, probably their limit in distance and temp, it was about 50 out so not to hot.  I always run them before feeding time so they stay motivated.  Even at the end of 7 miles, the last 2 blocks to my house, I drop the leashes and they sprint to the door ready for dinner.  It makes me laugh that they still have energy to sprint.

"You can call your turkey organic and torture it daily. "

Jonathan Safran Foer (Eating Animals)
marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 21, 2010, 10:41:02 AM »

so true its not about the races - races are fun but alan is really in touch with the spirit of what running is for him right now

i have been doing some biking recently as my lower extremities are "recovering" from running ailments - i have been pleasantly suprised how much i am enjoying the bike workouts - been going on some long rides (3-4 hours)

i just got a garmin 205 yesterday for fathers day and used it this morning - i dont think i will ever make full use of it but i really like having something to track mileage for biking and running - very cool

right now just using my old mountain bike - may or may not upgrade in the future i dont know right now i want to learn more about bikes in general - i'm clueless really so i am picking up bike maintenance and repairs for dummies - those dummy books are good primers really

Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 21, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »

Most touching Alan.

like the new look as well.

Jason

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:52 AM »

hmmm....something happened to my post, it said that I posted it, but it never showed.  Oh well... Huh

anyhow-- really freeing and amazing trail run last night...about 30min.  Once I got past the beginning section where they laid down fresh rocks! (OUCH!!!  Shocked) that forced me to stay super light on my feet for sure!   After that it was just amazing! I always liked trail running, but like it even more in VFFs. 

I want to do more trail running after Ironman is over though...and I am recovered of course.  Perhaps some trail races this fall....hmmmm!  Grin

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 22, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »

I think it is official, I just might be a barefoot runner now.  I did a test 5k last night and I was able to make it home without blisters on my feet.  I will be running my 5k this Sunday barefoot.  I am hoping my RoadID makes it in time or I will be carrying my racing chip. 

I started off the run not knowing how far I was going to run.  It wasn't a great pace, but when you are going to be running for 4+ miles you tend to take it easy and enjoy it.  I would have ran further than the 3.1 miles, except it was getting late and my body would be fighting off fatigue due to lack of sleep.  I must say though, I had a headache most of the evening and as soon as a settled into a comfortable pace it was gone.

Alan thank you for the encouraging words, as Nike would put it, just do it.  I don't know if I can beat my time of 25:25, but a sub 27 is my current goal right now.  I am not expecting the course to have many hills, but I am not able to pickup my race packet till Saturday so that is the only time I will be able to figure it out. 

After speaking with my father on Saturday I have some pretty tough goals ahead of me.  I am not to worried if I make them and the reason I have set these tough goals, is because these are my father's person best runs.

5k - under 21 minutes
10k - under 38 minutes ( My father ran more 10k when he was younger, because there weren't many 5K available.)
Marathon - Under 4 hours

I would like to do that all barefoot so I can prove to him that it is possible to be competitive and barefoot at the same time.  The best thing is that hopefully none of those achievements will leave me injured.

marley mission
The People's Champ
Global Moderator

use the wobble board

View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: June 22, 2010, 03:41:19 PM »

did 20 on the bike this fine AM and then 6 running later - a 'fit' day i guess you could say

JohnnyIdaho

JohnnyIdaho is a new face.

Black KSO's

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1453 on: June 23, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »

did 20 on the bike this fine AM and then 6 running later - a 'fit' day i guess you could say

I love doubling up biking and running!

Today I did 4 with some hills.  Really strong on the hills this morning, felt great

"You can call your turkey organic and torture it daily. "

Jonathan Safran Foer (Eating Animals)
balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 24, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »

Yesterday was a terrible run.  I started out the door and my dog caught me so I decided to take him with me.  I wanted to take him for a walk after my run, as a cool down of sorts.  I started off barefoot hoping to run another 5k for a test, and I never got close.  I made it 1.68 miles before calling it quits.  There was something good to come out of it though, I managed to jump into a pick up soccer game (football for you Europeans) and play some barefoot.  It was an excellent day for some speed work and I had fun at the same time.  The best part was, I may not be able to do a few things because of the lack of traction on my feet, like defending a cleated player and rolling my foot over the ball, but I had fun and stayed injury free.  I did tweak my ankle a little at one point during the match.  It wasn't serious to cause an actual injury.  Something to keep in mind next time I play.  The goal is to run by there again next Wednesday and see if there are playing.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 117
  Print  

Jump to: