BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
November 22, 2014, 12:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 117
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Running  (Read 144100 times)
RayKay

RayKay is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: July 26, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »

Balsam,

I would be shocked if it took your blood blister few weeks to heal before you could run again.
I am far from an expert, but do have lots of blister experiences. When I was big into adventure racing or when I was still in military I had to keep going when I got blisters (blood or regular) and they were part of the deal. I find as long as I give them proper care (keep feet clean and dry, cover blister area with padding to stop friction (bandaid, blister patch, or gauze and moleskin), and let feet air whenever have chance, and make sure I am not constricting blood flow), I heal quickly even as I keep running or hiking on it. It may  be sensitive for a couple days but will dry out and heal. I still do this when I have managed a VFF blister (not often) and still have pretty feet, ha.

But maybe it is because I am too stubborn NOT to run - since I am a pretty avid runner - that in your situation I would probably just wear less or non-minimalist shoes for a few days as it healed with proper foot care, as you can still focus on proper foot strike and form in most neutral shoes, or really protect the blister and wear VFFs still. It might burst but just make sure to keep it really clean and sterile. 

So, I can see taking a few days off and is probably smarter than my "keep at 'er" mentality, but a few weeks off would likely be unecessary unless you have some condition that limits healing.

YMMV, and this is certainly not medical advice, ha! I may just be a sadist or a bit obsessed with running!

I have other blisters that need healing.  I have never taken the full time to let the heal.  I figure if I take off a week or so and wait for my feet to be ready for barefoot running this will slowly become a non issue and I won't have to take breaks.  Although the weather is really nice today and I might have to see how it handles with the band aid.

Well if you are full of blisters it might be a good idea to take a few days off then. Or you can strap some band aids on your blisters and REALLY go barefoot for a few days to let the blisters heal up. No friction = no blisters  Cool

VFF's: KSOx2, Treks, Bikila x2, Bikila LS, Jaya LR x3, Spyridon LS, Komodosports LS x3, Signa
Non-VFF's: Soft Star Ramblers, Merry Janes, Phoenix, Roos (with TLS), VivoBarefoot Vienna Boots, Off Road Hi's, Neo Trails, Jing Jings x3, Merrell Wonder Gloves x2, Konvines x2
« Reply #1590 on: July 26, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »

balsam0

balsam0 is starting to look familiar.balsam0 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: July 27, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »

I ended up running barefoot in the grass a little last night.  Took the dog to a park that is in walking distance of my house.  I think I am starting to realize my stride is not short enough.  Once I was able to relax, because there wasn't any harsh terrain to worry about it seems as though my foot falls where shorter than I am used to running in Vibrams.  I think while I let the blisters heal this week I might run around the park a little more and try and condition my body to relax. 
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 29, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

No running to report. Sadly.
Working long hours this week and on call from now. Yes they are different.

Have the Joy Cann 5 to look forward to next wednesday. No running for over a week now. Boo hoo.

Jason

lululu

lululu is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 30, 2010, 06:09:49 AM »

I am leaving. This summer holiday makes me know many things and  I have been given a good lesson. I promise that I will not take the plunge into making decisions and that I will insist in what I start. I should believe in myself. Allons-y.
« Reply #1593 on: July 30, 2010, 06:09:49 AM »

AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1594 on: July 30, 2010, 07:07:17 AM »

As I'm posting infrequently, if at all, here these days, you'll have to go to my blog (URL below) to follow my barefoot (and other) progress.

Alan

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 30, 2010, 07:53:01 AM »

Jeepman...thanks for asking! the IM went well.  I finished - not in my goal time.  finished in 13:52 - just shy of my 2007 time of 13:53.  I had an awful side stitch on the run that I just couldn't shake.  although I was 15min faster running this year than I was back in 2007 - and I did the whole run in VFF (bikilas).  My legs felt great which was SO incredibly frustrating - I really could have pounded that run.  UGH! oh well...have to go for #3 now!

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: July 30, 2010, 09:09:36 AM »

Jason, I feel your pain.  I am nursing some blisters at the moment and I am trying to actually let them fully heal this time.  I am hoping that once they are healed, shoes will no longer be a necessity.  I am on day 4 of not running and it is really starting to get to me because we have had slightly milder temperatures this week.
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 02, 2010, 12:54:04 PM »

ok -- for those that have asked -- attached is my race report from Ironman Lake Placid. 

what's next for me this season -- For those that read my race report...I am seeking vengance on that run in a fall marathon.  http://www.spinxrunfest.com/spinx/SRF_Welcome.html

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: August 03, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »

Jeepman...thanks for asking! the IM went well.  I finished - not in my goal time.  finished in 13:52 - just shy of my 2007 time of 13:53.  I had an awful side stitch on the run that I just couldn't shake.  although I was 15min faster running this year than I was back in 2007 - and I did the whole run in VFF (bikilas).  My legs felt great which was SO incredibly frustrating - I really could have pounded that run.  UGH! oh well...have to go for #3 now!

Congrats on your finishing time. Dang...I hate to hear about those side stitches. I've been there too. It can be very frustrating to have to hold back because your side feels like there's a knife stuck in it. Either way, you should feel very good about yourself. You did great and everyone here was cheering for you. I'm sure you'll nail #3 next year.

Rgs, Jeepman

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 03, 2010, 08:06:02 AM »

Jeepman -- #3 will have to wait until 2012 at the earliest.  I am going to take a year off - going to work shorter distance as I want to have some more free time.  training for an IM is very time and energy consuming so its also hard on my friends and family.  I need to get back with them and have some fun for a while.  Although I like the long distance training - I need to keep a balance.  I am going to focus on qualifiying and training for Nationals, which I hear are going to be in Vermont this next 2 years.  I  live in NJ, so its pretty close.  Work is also going to get busy in the next year and I need to focus on my career too.  But there is definitely a #3 in my future...and I will nail it!! Smiley

balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: August 04, 2010, 09:24:41 AM »

I tried to run 4 miles in my huaraches yesterday.  I say tried because they broke 2 miles in and I had to run the rest of the route barefoot.  I am finding that my current huarache setup is not working out.  They loosen when I run and still give me blisters because they slide around on my feet.  I guess they are going to turn into my everyday weekend shoe for the summer.  At least I know when I put them on that some of my proceeds were donated to the Tarahumara. 

I guess I am going to start running in my Bikila if I feel I need some protection.  This could all just come down to a form issue, and once I settle in to good form footwear shouldn't be such a hard decision.  Well the huaraches are never going to be a running shoe for me unless I do something to them to prevent blisters.  I think with perfect form they would still cause blisters. 
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1601 on: August 04, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

For the first time in about three months, I wore a watch on my daily barefoot run. The results were interesting. Read all about it on my blog.

Alan

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »

Well nice to be back out and about. Done nothing for 2 weeks due to work commitments etc. Not good.

As part of my quest to achieve 100% attendance tonight was the Joy Cann 5. The penultimate race of the summer league, not ran this race before so all new. Went very well. Having done zero training done better that I expected. Very happy. Very pleased with consistent pace, miles 2,3 and 4.

Details here. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43171048

Jason

noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »

[
Details here. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/43171048

Jason
[/quote]

Great job Jason! Your max heart rate made me a little nervous til I saw it was you finishing strong! Congratulations. An example of rest not hurting you!

NoŽl
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: August 05, 2010, 02:05:10 AM »

Noel

May explore this as a training system. Just rest, so always fresh. Sounds like a winner. Smiley

More seriously, wonder how long it would be until a marked decrease would be noticeable.

Cheers
J

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 117
  Print  

Jump to: