BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 22, 2014, 02:12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 117
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Running  (Read 142972 times)
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: August 09, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »

Toaster

thank you for your prompt and informative answer.

It has backed up what I have observed in myself. I def leave it too long. I have found oat type solids work for me. What we would call flapjack. Not a fitness food but plenty of carbs.

Thanks again
Jason

« Reply #1620 on: August 09, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 09, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »

Jason...I wish that I could eat some solid foods while running/riding.  I really get to want to eating something solid and actually chew something.  going for almost 14hrs in my Ironman not eating anything solid is rather boring.  I started chewing the ice chips they were handing out.  that seemed to help!

as they say "drink before your are thirsty and eat before you are hungry". 

I know people who have eaten fig newtons for ironman...and felt fine.  So, you know...its what works for you.  Just start early is the key.  and experiment -- before race day.  it took me quite a few years to get that dialed in and i have made changes recently -adding in an occasional gel when i feel like it is new this past ironman training season. 

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
balsam0

balsam0 is starting to look familiar.balsam0 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 10, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »

I attempted to run 5 miles on Saturday and came up sort.  I was listening to my body for once and stopped about 2.77 miles.  The ground was extremely hot and I could feel it through my Bikila.  Instead of having to go through blood blisters again I decided to stop. 

I skipped Sunday to let my feet rest and ran on Monday.  I got in my 2.2 mile route with the dog.  I ran it in about 20:00 minutes.  I had to stop and let the dog pee.  I am starting to think that the design of the Bilkila is causing some calf tenderness after runs.  I am haven't really looked at them closely, but I wonder if the forefoot is lower to the ground than the heel.  That might explain why I have calf pain after runs, because I am running more on my forefoot.
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 10, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »

Toaster
"drink before your are thirsty and eat before you are hungry" says it all really.

Balsam0
The ground was extremely hot and I could feel it through my Bikila. how hot was hot to feel it through Bikilas?. When cruising the med in July the keyside/dock was very hot through my classics when standing. Given the extra thickness of the bilks. How hot was hot?

J

« Reply #1623 on: August 10, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »

balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 11, 2010, 08:54:47 AM »

I think it was in the 90 degree area (32C) with high humidity.  The surface I was running on was black and there was barely any shade to be found.  I ran on the grass a little to try and go further, but the process had already started.  I could feel the start of the burning sensation in the pads of my feet. 

I added leather to the top of my rubber huaraches yesterday and wanted to try them out.  I don't think I have to tie down right because I could feel a blister would have formed if I continued.  So I took them off and ran 2 miles barefoot.  I would recommend running at night and my bruised heel would agree.
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 11, 2010, 05:34:11 PM »

32 deg. That would coincide. Walking was ok, standing felt like feet cooking.

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 12, 2010, 08:55:10 AM »

Wow....awesome track session last night!!

Repeat of last weeks 25 x 400 (2:00-2:15 pace); 1min rest.  I hit the first at 2:11 and then settled into 2:05 by the third interval and that's where I basically hovered the remainder of the workout.  I felt really, really good out there.   I was basically alone out there on the track as it was getting darker and darker -- quite a few people came and went over the 1:15 I was out there.  After about the 12th interval I just got into a groove and felt as if I was floating along out there on the track - I just wanted to keep running and not rest. 

I did bring my bladder pack with LOTS of water and was eating some gel and some hammer endurolytes as well as anti-fatigue caps and endurance amino caps.  It seems to be a good combo for me - my energy levels were great the whole time.  I was feeling a bit tired about 30min in, took some endurolytes (2) and that was the end of feeling tired!

I am now looking forward to my attempt at the 20 x 1 mile.  I am definitely heading out on the road instead of the trail this time!  Although, it is harder running fast with a full bladder pack on!  I think of it as training weight -- when I get to the race and can run without it I will feel super light and fast! Smiley

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 12, 2010, 09:44:02 PM »

I just finished a 2.2 mile run with the dog.  If I am going to take him with me I should really consider running barefoot.  He slows my pace considerably and I know he can barely make that distance in this heat.  I guess I could just stop wearing a watch and enjoy the run. 
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 15, 2010, 03:54:47 PM »

Tough 10 today.

Could not get out as early as I would have liked as had to pick Delia up from work. Hey ho. Got to Jen's about 9.  Getting warmer all the time. Have to confess to walking a couple of times today. Looking at garmin 305 info, classic case of cardiac drift. Perspiration = loss of fluid = lower blood volume = heart has to pump more often to sustain level of oxygen required.

Jason enjoying some wine

Pete Rasmussen

Pete Rasmussen is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 16, 2010, 11:22:52 AM »

1/2 marathon trail race (http://www.fallsburghalf.8k.com) yesterday in my Bikilas.  Awesome, awesome run.  Very hot, but with enough water it was fine.  The bikilas were the perfect shoe:  60% trails, 30% rocky dirt road, 10% pavement.  I had a better grip on the downhill dirt sections than all of the other runners with me, and I faired much, much better on the dirt road than Jason did (barefoot) on the same stretch during the full marathon (http://barefootjason.blogspot.com).

Pete.
Go_Blue

Go_Blue is a new face.

Barefooting it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1630 on: August 16, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »

I did ~ 3 miles this morning, about 2 of which were in my Nike Air Zoom Streak XC 2 flats. This is my third run in them, and I like them quite a bit. The last part of the run I did entirely barefoot and it felt AMAZING. The perfect weather was an added bonus. An awesome way to begin my day.

balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 16, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »

I picked up some compression shorts after experiencing some chaffing over the weekend.  I ran 2 miles on Saturday and 5 miles on Sunday.  The 2 miler on Saturday was barefoot.   The 5 miler was in Treks.  I really need to tighten more shoes more before I start running or avoid getting the treks wet.  I might really have to look at the sport treks for a trail shoe.  At least trails with creek crossings.

I tested the compression shorts out today with a 2 mile run.  They worked well.  I think that is the route I am going to go from now on.
toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 19, 2010, 09:20:37 AM »

Track session last night again....this time only 4 x 400!! OK...that seemed very short compared to the 25 x 400 (2:00-2:15/400) I did the last 2 weeks in a row on Wednesdays.  Anyhow...this time the pace was 1:45-1:59/400.  I nailed them all: 1:46, 1:42, 1:41, 1:41!   My fiance stopped by to watch and he gave some good feedback -- on the first one he said that I was running very upright and that did I need to lean forward more...so I did, and my pace dropped for the 2nd one.  I am very happy with these times on only one minute rest! Ran in my KSOs instead of my bikilas...I think they are faster...think I am going to keep wearing the KSOs for speed work. 

Also did half of my warmup, about 1/2 mile, totally barefoot.  It was nice as they just swept the street that morning! Definitely getting more used to total barefoot as the road was not very smooth in certain parts and it was not an issue for me anymore. 

balsam0

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 19, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »

I ran 5 miles in treks on Sunday.  I got them wet and they started to slide around.  That then caused blisters on my right foot.  I guess I should tighten them a little more than I think I need just in case they get wet again.  I ran 2 miles on Monday and 4 miles on Tuesday.  I took yesterday off to let the blister heal.  It was feeling that great.  Plus I think I needed a rest.  I did manage to run the 4 miles with a 9 minute per mile pace.  I think that is a good improvement.  I think I normal ran a 9:30 or 10 minute pace prior.
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 19, 2010, 05:10:50 PM »

Started out as a practice run ended going for it. Something really has changed recently. Run better quicker than slower. But quicker feels easier. Although done 5.46 miles which is very close to 6. Have never ran anything like this pace in a race. Hmmm? Raining all the way. Quite nice.

Details here. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45247481

Jason the chuffed

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 117
  Print  

Jump to: