BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
September 19, 2014, 07:49:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 117
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Running  (Read 142947 times)
noelbodwell

noelbodwell is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: August 20, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »

Started out as a practice run ended going for it. Something really has changed recently. Run better quicker than slower. But quicker feels easier. Although done 5.46 miles which is very close to 6. Have never ran anything like this pace in a race. Hmmm? Raining all the way. Quite nice.

Details here. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45247481

Jason the chuffed

Don't you just love those days when everything comes together during your run!! What caused the huge spike in your heart rate?? Did you see something scary??

NoŽl
« Reply #1635 on: August 20, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »

Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: August 20, 2010, 09:23:33 AM »

N

can only put spike down to settling in period. Maybe contacts not quite moist enough early on. Certainly was not operating at the level. Might not help as I go out cold. From a resting HR of 68 or so, straight into a run is bound to give the 305 something to think about.

J

balsam0

balsam0 is starting to look familiar.balsam0 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: August 20, 2010, 10:22:55 AM »

I need to stop running barefoot at night.  My street is not condusive to that type of activity.  I have ran a 5k barefoot and could easily run 2 miles barefoot, but not being able to see the path in front of me, I landed on a lot of sharp and pointy stones.  I decided to walk the rest of the way home.  I should have carried shoes with me as most barefoot runners suggest.  I felt good until I went from the street to the sidewalk and instead of stepping down on sidewalk it was 3 different rocks.  It was not very fun and I think I bruised my foot again.  I am still nursing a foot bruising the last time I tried this. 
kuo34

kuo34 is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

Remember to tread lightly.  I enjoy running in the cool mornings or evenings, but I'm with you on the zero visibility.  Maybe wear a headlamp or carry a flashlight?
« Reply #1638 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:31 AM »

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:24 PM »

WOW! I ran yesterday afternoon in the rain and I had an absolutely amazing run.  There is a sprint triathlon close to our house this Saturday and my fiance and I are both signed up, so we decided to go and run the course since I had to get a run in anyhow.  So I had 6 x 1 mi repeats (1 min easy walking recovery), and its a 5K run course, so we did 2 loops of the course.  We drove the course in the car and marked out the mile markers so we would know where to stop.   My goals were between 8:45-9:45/mi.  The first mile was an 8:08 pace!  Woah...ok.  OK, this is only the first mile, lets slow it down -- so I just focused on form and picking my feet up (couldn't 'toe off' any how as the roads were wet and slick).  Mile #2: 7:54.  Ok...lets try that again...the 3rd mile should be slower its got a big long hill in it.  Mile #3: 7:45!?!?  My poor fiance was about to puke with that pace and only a 1min rest.  So we went our separate ways on the second 3 miles.  I did 2 more 7:54/mi and the final was an 8:11/mi.  I slowed down as not to blow my legs out on the last hill, and took it easy on the down hill on the last mile as the roads were slick and I didn't want to hurt myself. 

Actually it was a good running week overall for me...between the good speed workout wedensday...that I repeated again this saturday, and again posted times faster than the time range I was shooting for.  I felt really strong in all of my runs.  I think it was getting back into the weight room again last week after taking like 5 weeks off from it.  what a huge difference it makes!  I barely felt the hills!! Glad I convinced my coach to let me get back in the weight room...he wanted me to rest my legs more with the extra running volume.  I see his point, but that doesn't work for me.

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
noelbodwell

View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: August 23, 2010, 12:35:10 PM »

WOW! I ran yesterday afternoon in the rain and I had an absolutely amazing run.  There is a sprint triathlon close to our house this Saturday and my fiance and I are both signed up, so we decided to go and run the course since I had to get a run in anyhow.  So I had 6 x 1 mi repeats (1 min easy walking recovery), and its a 5K run course, so we did 2 loops of the course.  We drove the course in the car and marked out the mile markers so we would know where to stop.   My goals were between 8:45-9:45/mi.  The first mile was an 8:08 pace!  Woah...ok.  OK, this is only the first mile, lets slow it down -- so I just focused on form and picking my feet up (couldn't 'toe off' any how as the roads were wet and slick).  Mile #2: 7:54.  Ok...lets try that again...the 3rd mile should be slower its got a big long hill in it.  Mile #3: 7:45!?!?  My poor fiance was about to puke with that pace and only a 1min rest.  So we went our separate ways on the second 3 miles.  I did 2 more 7:54/mi and the final was an 8:11/mi.  I slowed down as not to blow my legs out on the last hill, and took it easy on the down hill on the last mile as the roads were slick and I didn't want to hurt myself. 

Actually it was a good running week overall for me...between the good speed workout wedensday...that I repeated again this saturday, and again posted times faster than the time range I was shooting for.  I felt really strong in all of my runs.  I think it was getting back into the weight room again last week after taking like 5 weeks off from it.  what a huge difference it makes!  I barely felt the hills!! Glad I convinced my coach to let me get back in the weight room...he wanted me to rest my legs more with the extra running volume.  I see his point, but that doesn't work for me.

What an impressive workout. Fabulous feeling when it all comes together!
toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: August 23, 2010, 03:33:06 PM »

Thanks Noel!! It was such a wonderful feeling...I was in total shock at how fast I was running.  I was doubting the distances and time - but we drove them in the car just prior to the run, so I know they are pretty accurate. 

I have been trying to run consciously with Pose running form. My coach teaches it and we learned some techniques at a camp back in June.  Maybe I am on a breakthrough with this stuff.  I think getting back into lifting has something to do with it though...

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
Ardent

Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.Ardent is making a name for themselves.

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: August 23, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »

Well I have to report, I have gone from a stonking run last Tues to an absolute (insert expletive) run sunday. went out to do 10, might have done 4 and walked a lot of that. Just not happening on any level at all. Hey ho.

Jason 3wks to half mary

noelbodwell

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: August 23, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »

Well I have to report, I have gone from a stonking run last Tues to an absolute (insert expletive) run sunday. went out to do 10, might have done 4 and walked a lot of that. Just not happening on any level at all. Hey ho.

Jason 3wks to half mary

Jason,
We all have isolated days like that. Try to put it behind you, cuz chances are the next run will feel terrific! Two weeks ago I headed out for a 8 mile trail run. At the 1.5 mile mark I turned around. Every step was labored and I had to keep stopping to get my breath. Just couldn't find a rhythm. My next run felt great. Keep the faith!

NoŽl
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: August 24, 2010, 07:09:27 AM »

club handicap challenge tonight. Hope run as well as last week.

jason the hoper

balsam0

balsam0 is starting to look familiar.balsam0 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: August 24, 2010, 12:06:35 PM »

I ran barefoot last night.  I made it about 2.8 miles before I put my shoes back on.  The sidewalks were terrible.  I spent most of the time running in grass and that is not and easy task, because the grass on the side of the road is never level.  I have a small blister, which should go away soon.  I really think I need to find shoes that work for me.  So far the Bikila have been getting the job done.  I find my classics and sprints slide to much on my feet and cause blisters.  This is why I ran barefoot yesterday, because I could feel that a really nasty blister was going to form if I continued running on it.  

I think the reason why I can't run barefoot is I have bruising on my heels.  It makes it really hard to "kiss" the ground with a bruised heel.  I am also stubborn and would rather just put on my Bikila and get a few miles in.  It offers enough protection that it doesn't cause discomfort.  I am going to be running a 5k on September 12th and would have liked to do it barefoot, but I would prefer a PR and that means protection.  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:14:42 AM by balsam0 » Logged
Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: August 25, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »

Done our club handicap run last night.

Details here. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/46102236 Heart rate pinging off the rev limiter in the first mile again. Like a Honda S2000.

Pleased I ran well after Sundays shocker.

Jason

toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: August 26, 2010, 09:41:45 AM »

I think that I am making a breakthrough in my running.  Although for me, the more I run, the better I get.  So I have been running quite a bit training for this marathon. 

this week was that long track session of 25 x 400's (1 min rest) and the same time goal of 2:00-2:15 per 400.  Yesterday after warming up (felt kinda sluggish getting going) I just blew through the intervals.  I did the first in like 2:02, and I thought to myself "take it easy, you've got 24 more of those to go!".  So I just focused more on form than anything else, and came in at 2:00.  Hmmm.  So I just decided to try and hover right around the 2:00 mark.  Well, after about 5, I got really warmed up and was hiting 1:56-1:57 for quite a while.  Then it dropped again around the last 5 (ok...i just wanted to get done) and I was hitting about 1:55-1:56.  I ended off with a 1:50.  I was VERY happy with being in the low 8:00/mi or under pace range. 

Racing a local tri near my house in Wayne NJ (called the Packanack Lake tri) on Saturday and then another big 20 miler on sunday!! WOah!

Ardent

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: August 26, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »

Toaster

That made me  Smiley.
Trying less hard and going faster.

Shades of; run easy, run light, run smooth and you will end up running fast. Now where have I come across that before?  Roll Eyes

Jason

toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: August 26, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »

Jason

thanks! It was an amazing run -- felt as if I was just floating along at some points, like I could have just run forever like that! Ahhhh.... Cheesy    My finace joined me for about 1/2 of these, and about like 5 from the end he asks "how are you feeling?"  I  said "good. 1 min rest just feels too short, could do with about 45 sec".  He then says, " thats crazy! you could go for like 50 of these, couldn't you!?".  I just laughed...because I know he was right!

I struggled so long for speed like this in the past.  This last year of transitioning is paying off...I really think that in the long run I am going to be faster in VFFs.   I also don't think that I ever spent this much time at the track, this consistently in the past either. 

have really been just focusing on good form lately -- have been working with Pose running since my coach taught me some technique on it. 

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 117
  Print  

Jump to: