BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
July 25, 2014, 04:39:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 117
  Print  
Author Topic: VFF Running  (Read 141630 times)
jcarneytx

jcarneytx is starting to look familiar.jcarneytx is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2009, 02:26:23 AM »

I have a "TP massage ball" - basically a tennis ball -  under my desk at work that I use to massage my feet

I use something similar. Got it a few years ago, though I can't remember exactly where. It's a knobby rubberized ball, called a Ball-Punkter, made (I think) by a Danish firm called Greta Wolfgang. FWIW, here's a link:

http://shop.denintelligentekrop.dk/product.asp?product=1280

Alan

I think I've seen those at my grocery store in the 'dog toy' section. usually have a bell in them. I have no idea what they cost but maybe they'd be a cheaper alternative?
 Smiley
« Reply #225 on: October 07, 2009, 02:26:23 AM »

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 07, 2009, 03:14:58 PM »

Went for a run last night, and WOW i got a pain in my calf like i've never had before...stopped me dead in my tracks to a mere hobble.  had to walk home.  Ran for the first time in a long while in something other than my V5F's.  I think perhaps it was that.  Not sure if this was a calf cramp or something more.  but I really wanted to heel strike in these shoes, and they are more minimalist than most my other shoes - they are the zoot triathlon shoes, that just slip on and have a very minimal forefoot and a slightly cushioned heel. 

wore my compression socks to bed - yes...I am a tri geek....but I don't wear my compression socks on a run.  they helped and I am wearing them here at work too.  I am also masage-balling my right foot - there are some aggrivated things in there - which i think has something to do with my irritated calf.  because as I sit here massaging it my calf is feeling better. 

what do other people run in while they are not running in their V5F's? 

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

Run, eat, sleep, repeat...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: October 07, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »

I haven't run in anything other than my KSOs since I bought them. I have three pairs of Brooks Trance 8s sitting in my closet, but I just can't bear the thought of putting them on.

Alan

Barefoot Journey blog: http://thwaits.wordpress.com/
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »

what do other people run in while they are not running in their V5F's? 

Well, the other day I ran in my Clarks because I was late for class!   Grin

But, seriously... for actual "I'm going out for a run now" running, it's been nothing but the VFFs.  In fact, they are almost the entire reason that I've resumed running! 

(That and my doctor worrying about me developing osteoporosis, and me wanting to be able to dance for hours at my wedding in the summer).

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
« Reply #228 on: October 07, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »

toastergirl

toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.toastergirl is a regular 'round here.

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 07, 2009, 03:49:39 PM »

hmmmm....thanks alan!  what types of distances do you run and how many days/week?  

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame sombody else" --Pre
AlanT

AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.AlanT is highly regarded.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2009, 04:52:40 PM »

Right now, since I'm not training for anything, I'm running 10K to 13K on weekdays, and up to 18K for my long Sunday run. I typically take one or two days off each week.

Starting at the beginning of December, I'll do much longer Sunday runs, as I'll begin training for a 100K ultra I want to do in early May of next year.

Alan

toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2009, 04:57:31 PM »

thanks alan! 

I am going to try to run again in a few days when my calf calms down....its rather angry at me right now.  ugh!!

orlin03

orlin03 is starting to look familiar.orlin03 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2009, 08:15:05 PM »

That's the one thing I dislike about my Zoots- that heel is just too cushioned. One day very soon I'll hit it with the coping saw...

toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »

I've now got a completely "useless" collection of running sneakers!  Huh Wonder what i can use them for?  Hmmm...too bad I don't have a dog! Smiley LOL!

I noticed that I used to need inserts in my sneakers for running - I wore a pair of my running shoes the other day for walking around NYC - would have wore my VFF's, but it was raining.   Undecided  the arches of my feet were killing me!  I don't need the inserts anymore - they were sort of an "over the counter" orthotic.  They worked well at the time - but now that my feet are stronger I don't need them anymore....and that's a good thing!

my calf is much less aggrivated.  swam last night, I think that helped.  also wore compression socks to bed again last night.  I used to think they were rediculous, but then I bought them for traveling as my feet/legs swell on long flights from NJ to AZ.  But I find they are helping my calves recover from runs with my VFF's, because my calves get a lot more working out than in regular running shoes. 

AlanT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2009, 09:44:40 AM »

I've now got a completely "useless" collection of running sneakers!  Huh Wonder what i can use them for?

Most running shops (here in Canada, anyway) will happily take gently worn running shoes to donate to those who might need them. The local Running Room stores, for instance, have a program called Shoes for Malawi. Ask around, I'm sure shops in your area will have something like it.

Alan

orlin03

orlin03 is starting to look familiar.orlin03 is starting to look familiar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2009, 09:49:02 AM »

Toastergirl: if you're going to be wearing compression socks a lot, a cheaper alternative is to buy good compression soccer socks. They work nearly as good and cost 1/4 as much! I'm wearing Nike compression soccer's in size 6-8 instead of my usual 8-12, and they work great.

toastergirl

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »

ooh! great tip Orlin03!! Smiley

And thanks alan for the info on donating my sneakers!  You know, now that I think about it, I remember seeing something the last time I was in my running shop about brining in sneakers to donate for people who can't afford them.  I need to go there and buy some racing flats for an alternative to my VFF's and I will bring my un-needed (is that a rea word!?!  Huh) running shoes. 

allawayr

allawayr is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2009, 10:36:32 AM »

Also, Nike has a shoe recycling program - they use the entire athletic shoe for various athletic surfaces...many big races in my area do this.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/yawalla
Better Living Through Nutrition: http://livingthroughnutrition.wordpress.com/
kaioslider

kaioslider is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2009, 10:58:30 AM »

So not one of my happiest runs this morning.  First, I've taken six days off since I've been having some issues with my ankles.  Without going into it too much.  My right ankle (I guess is behind the joint on the outside) was bothering me - I took six days off and ran and it seemed to work itself out.  I started running on the local roads with plenty of hills verse the level grade of my local rail trial and then my left ankle started to hurt in the same way as the right had - hence the six days of rest.  I'll have to see how it feels later today to know if I need to rest it more or not.  I also had a first new pain, not really a pain, more of an annoyance.  It felt like someone was pinching or poking the tip of a pin in my left arch.  I had done a little research on the ankle pain and, again w/o getting too into it, makes me think that might be related to the ankle pain - there's a tendon that runs basically where I described my ankle pain that goes around toward your toe (I'm sure that's a horrible description).  Anyways, knowing this I was very aware of it mentally.  I think my mood has been making this harder too - I've just been stressed.  The thing about running is it's a great stress reliever, but when you're not running because you're trying to heal.....

Anyways, 5.7 miles 12.16 min/mi  Undecided

Twitter: kaioslider
Run tracking: http://runkeeper.com/user/kaioslider
Rana
Global Moderator
Superstar

Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.Rana thinks they know everything about birthday shoes.

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »

kaioslider, you might try massaging the foot - with a hard smooth object (like a solid rubber bouncy ball) if you can stand it - it might not be a tendon but a cramped muscle (some of the muscle system is pretty complex).  Obviously, if this feels bad (as opposed to good massage ow) stop.

Given the distances most of you are running, it's a little embarrassing to tout my own accomplishment today, but I'm feeling pretty proud.  I've expanded my route to a little over a mile, running 3/4 of the way, and I reduced my time!  It used to take 15-20 minutes to go 8 blocks; now I can run-walk 12 in 10.  Yay! Cheesy

All an octopus needs to trap a human is a door with three knobs.

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/56809170@N00/sets/72157622338419245/
Gallery: http://sungazer.zenfolio.com
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 117
  Print  

Jump to: