BirthdayShoes.com Vibram Five Fingers Forum
August 23, 2014, 03:14:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Tired of seeing ads? Simply become a forum member and login (membership is free!).

nanny-rosy
Poll
Question: Many of us run... but what got us there?
I was a runner and then decided to try VFF's - 15 (62.5%)
I tried VFF's and it led to the running bug - 5 (20.8%)
I don't run... yet. - 3 (12.5%)
I don't run - 1 (4.2%)
Total Voters: 24

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which came first the running or the VFF?  (Read 803 times)
JustinB

JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.JustinB is well known.

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

So many of us are runners at different levels, newbies to marathoners... but what I am curious is what came first.  Were you a hardcore runner and decided to try going minimalist and that led you to VFF's. OR  Are you like me?  You bought VFF's and somehow the addiction came in the package and before you knew it, you were a runner.

I am almost willing to bet that the runners are split down the middle. 

42 Grey/Palm/Clay KSO, 43 Black Classic, 44 Black Moc, 43 Black/White Speed,43 Grey/Green Bikila LS, 43 Black/Day Glow SeeYa
44 Black/White Vivobarefoot Neo, 43 Black Vivobarefoot Ra
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »

Evan

Evan is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »

I have been running Track and Cross Country 3 years now and I just began minimalist running in November 2011.
I used to run in Nike Frees and I thought i was a "minimalist" runner but I had horrible form and I was a heel striker.
In November I started learning about forefoot and midfoot striking. So I ran over to the soccer fields by my house and started running barefoot.
Then for Christmas I got Born to Run by C. Mcdougall and a pair of Bikilas. I haven't looked back since.

Vibrams: Brown Classics and Green/Black Bikila LS
My shirt says: I am a Runner. All it takes is all you got.
Horse Rider

Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.Horse Rider is starting to look familiar.

Life without animals is not worth living

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:12:44 AM »

I used to run many years ago but had to stop for back and knee pain. I could not walk without huge orthotics. I saw Scarlett Johanssen in a magazine with Magenta Bikilas and I immediately looked them up and realized they were the answer to my prayers. I got Treksports and was able to ditch orthotics for hiking and walking without the plantar fasciitis returning, then Bikilas allowed the return to running I had so longed for...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 02:11:22 PM by Horse Rider » Logged

Treksport Pink
Bikila Silver/Verde,LS Purple
Flow Black
Sprint Black,Slate/Palmx2,Fuschia,Blue/Aqua
Classic Stormy Sea,Chili,Grey/Orange,Mauvex2,Lilac,Khaki,Suomy,Yellow/Grey,Sand/Dusty Blue,SW Charcoal
Alitza Grey/Rose
Spyridon LS
Stems,Lems,EvoII,Off Rd Hi,Boxing Boot,Lucy Lite,Konvinesx2
vfftriathlete

vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.vfftriathlete is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:04:04 AM »

Runner first and had VFF since they came out 5 or so years ago and gradually built upto A) running in them and B) being seen in them at the running club am now at the stage where i never run in anything but VFF or vivobarefoot evo/achilles or barefoot. People who see old pix of me running in the huge mizuno wave riders i used to wear can't believe how my style of running and footwear has changed.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:04:04 AM »

jmijares

jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.jmijares is well known.

South Tower of the Golden Gate Bridge. 750 ft ASL.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:30:29 AM »

I was the typical heel striking runner and then switched over to VFFs after painful bouts with IT band, plantar faciitis, and runners knee.  These days I run in VivoBarefoot Evo IIs, but use my KSOs for casual wear.  I'll never go back to marshmallow shoes again!

------------------------------------------------
3200 Miles in minimalist shoes since 17 April 2010

Currently running in B2R Raja Trainer

"Do you believe a man can change his destiny?"
"I believe a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed."
- The Last Samurai
Rick

Rick is a new face.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:54 AM »

I ran for 3 years before switching to VFF.  I am so glad I switched to VFF too!  I have beat my PRs at every distance I have run in VFFs so far! Next up 13.1 miles! I have to beat 1:51:47 to keep the streak alive!
Dexter_Morgan23

Dexter_Morgan23 is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »

For me it was VFF before a runner. I got them in hopes of running but, that didn't take place until ike 2 months later lol

Proud owner of my first pair of Red Remix KSOs as of 08/12/11 at 12:13 pm Cheesy
Leming Natural Origins, Invisible shoes 6mm and 4mm, Altra Adam, Altra Samson (March 5thish), Newton MV2, Aguias Spartan 1
www.minimalistandlovingit.blogspot.com
www.barefootfarm.org Support the Tarahumara
Jeepman

Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.Jeepman is well known.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »

I was a runner before VFFs. I had so many injuries that I was willing to try anything - and I did! Nothing worked. I had the local high-end running store video me on their treadmill. They put me a pair of Brooks - don't recall the model - based on their analysis. I went out the next day to try them with high hopes. Half a mile in my shins were on fire with pain. I took the shoes off and began to walk home. I was so mad, that I began to run home barefoot. Surprisingly, running home barefoot in only socks didn't hurt. I was shocked because this went against everything the "experts" were telling me. I started to do internet searches for "barefoot running". I discovered Barefoot Ken Bob and Barefoot Ted and my transformation was on. I bought a pair of racing flats to transition with and went to a Pose Method running clinic. After adjusting to my new form for 6 months in the racing flats I switched over to VFFs for all my runs. Been in VFFs since 2008 and loving every minute of it. This was a life changer for me. I'd be overweight and in poor health if it were not for VFFs.

Rgs, Jeepman

Arch support?... We don't need no stinking arch support!
munisano

munisano is a new face.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »

Been running LONG before "that book" was written and way before VFFs or other barefoot like fads came along.  I tried VFFs but really can't get over how silly they look; embarrassing to have to explain all the time...  So I tried some huaraches that look more like typical sandals but way minimal; I like the over all feel so much better than a foot glove and I don't have to explain so much. Won't go back to VFFs.  But all that consists of very little of my training; especially since my heel stress fracture back in August.  Yes, I'm mostly running in *gasp* shoes!  But the whole "minimalist" movement has at least inspired me to mostly run in minimal drop shoes; my favorites being the Altra line of zero-drop shoes (Instinct and Lone Peak).  With as high a volume of lifetime mileage on my legs and feet and continual, relatively high mileage into the foreseeable future as I train for ultras and other running adventures, running in very ultra-minimal "shoes" just isn't very practical; especially off road.  If one day I retire to being just a hobby jogger I can see no reason why I couldn't just jog everything barefoot or ultra minimal as I won't be doing as much mileage.  Someday I suppose...  To each their own.

munisano
BearFooted
Global Moderator

BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.BearFooted is a regular 'round here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 04:36:19 PM »

I never wanted to run until I got my VFF.  I sort of injured myself on a treadmill back in November.  I decided to give it a rest to heal.  I never really started back up since them.  I think I kind of lost a certain amount of motivation.  I am not sure if I will get back in to it.  I might try again but not holding my breath. 

Check out all of the articles I have written for BirthdayShoes.com!
PB Junkie

PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.PB Junkie is starting to look familiar.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »

Started running regularly in 2005, using "marshmallow" shoes. I kept getting injured and in 2010, a physical therapist turned me on to the POSE method running. That led me to minimal shoes like Saucony Grid Type A4 and Inov-8 F-lite 195s. Then last summer/fall, I transitioned to zero drop shoes and ultimately, VFFs.  They're pretty much all I wear now, both for running and everyday.  I wore my Merrell Sonic Gloves recently for a wet and muddy race and couldn't believe how stiff they felt compared to my VFFs.  They aren't bad shoes, but are a lot less flexible than VFFs. Can't wait for my Spyridons to get here.

VFFs: KSO W40, Treksport W40, Bikila W40, Jaya LR W41, Komodosport LS W40, KSO Trek W40, Spyridon LS W40, Bikila LS W40
Other:Merrell Trail Glove M 7.5, Merrell Sonic Glove M 7.5, VB Neo W41, VB Off Road Hi W41, Merrell Delight W9, VB Breatho Trail W40, Runamoc Dash U9, Merrell Road Glove M7.5
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: